Last nights storms

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
that was a very fast and intense storm last night... Some of those clouds that rolled in along with the colored skys from the lightning was unbelievable. I dont think I've seen the sky light up green, blue or red like that before from lightning. I was in the Mt. Prospect area around 8:45pm, went outside to watch the lightning and clouds rolling by. Very calm winds, then all of a sudden a good 5 minutes of 70+ MPH winds/gust just ripped through, debris flying everywhere. I drove to my parents to check to make sure everything was cool there and saw alot of uprooted trees and many impassable streets in that area. Anybody get any damage or pics from the storms?

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
I left my house right as the storm was about to roll in, and it followed me basically all the way up to Streamwood. It didn't hit too bad there, just a bunch of wind and rain. Although the sirens were going off every 15 minutes or so it seemed for a while. The clouds moving were incredible though!!

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Pretty intense in Naperville. Tornado sirens didn't go off by me but I think it did in some other parts of the city. My cable went out for a little while but for some reason my internet didn't. Win.

Yep they were blaring in downtown napertucky. I was at Teds Grill. The whole restaurant was moved to the basement for 30 minutes while storm passed over.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
wind and rain in pingree grove, no damage from what i could see.
g/f dad's house in mt prospect lost power at 8pm, still no power this morning.

judging by the radar last night, it seemed to be heaviest through joliet/ bolingbrook and north ( movement of the system ) so maybe closer to 355 than further west ?

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Shit tons of branches knocked all over in my neighborhood (all of them missing my truck, thank God), power flickered, heard the sirens and thought the roof of my house was gonna get torn off but no damage to my house or anything. Work on the other hand is FUBAR.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
wind and rain in pingree grove, no damage from what i could see.
g/f dad's house in mt prospect lost power at 8pm, still no power this morning.

judging by the radar last night, it seemed to be heaviest through joliet/ bolingbrook and north ( movement of the system ) so maybe closer to 355 than further west ?

Was just going to post up about Mount Prospect. My buddy lives there. Said it was worst storm he has been in. Here is a photo from his block. No ETA on power either.

storm.jpg

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Was just going to post up about Mount Prospect. My buddy lives there. Said it was worst storm he has been in. Here is a photo from his block. No ETA on power either.

Mt. Prospect got hit about 3-4 years ago with a microburst and alot of rain, last night definitely was worse I think. I know a few people that were without power for almost a week with that storm.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Commonwealth Edison says it could take days to restore power after a violent wave of storms packing 80 mph winds left more than a quarter million customers without electricity throughout the Chicago area.

As of 11 a.m., 250,000 customers were still without power, down from a peak of 288,000. About two-thirds of the outages were in the northern suburbs hardest hit by the storms, with about 178,000 customers in the utility's North Region without power. ComEd said power had been restored to more than 150,000 customers.

At Northwestern University's Evanston campus, 42 buildings without power this morning, according to an alert on the university website. School officials said they weren't sure when power would be restored, though they said ComEd crews were working to restore service. The alert doesn’t indicate whether any classes had been canceled.

Elsewhere, some two dozen schools, most of them in west suburban Elmhurst, were closed. The Maywood courthouse also was closed for lack of electricity.

The storms, which spawned funnel clouds and tornado warnings Tuesday night, forced the cancellation of about 330 flights, stalled Metra trains on their tracks and left streets littered with tree limbs and debris.

There were lingering transportation problems this morning.

As of 10:30 a.m., airlines atO'Hare International Airport had canceled 360 flights, and incoming and outgoing flights were experiencing 15 minute delays, according to the city's Department of Aviation. There were no reported problems at Midway.

The CTA suspended service on its Yellow Line and briefly did the same on the Purple Line due to ComEd issues affecting crossing gates.

Metra experienced delays of at least 5 to 10 minutes on inbound trains on the Union Pacific Northwest, Union Pacific West, Milwaukee District North and Milwaukee District West lines due to signal problems in the vicinity of Western Avenue. North Central Service line trains were 10-20 minutes behind.

(For continual weather updates, check the Chicago Weather Center.)

Two people were taken in serious to critical condition to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston after their car was crushed by a fallen tree near Farragut and Leavitt avenues in the Bomanville neighborhood on the North Side.

Chainsaw crews were out in force. Large limbs were downed — and some trees uprooted — in Deerfield, Des Plaines, Elmhurst, Morton Grove, Mount Prospect, Norridge and Skokie, among other suburbs. A Niles apartment building lost its roof, as did a building in Elk Grove Village.

Funnel clouds were spotted in Naperville, Aurora, about 5 miles west ofGrayslake in Lake County and four miles north-northwest ofSugar Grove in Kane County, but there were no confirmed reports of touchdowns. Winds were recorded at 60 to 75 mph, with an 81 mph gust in Wheeling.

But damage was still heavy, with roofs ripped off and tree branches and power lines left strewn across streets and yards. A truck driver on the Illinois tollway a quarter mile east of the Des Plaines plaza reported that strong winds blew the back of a billboard onto the highway.

InNaperville, a City Council meeting was stopped and everyone in attendance was evacuated to the City Hall basement because of “tornadic activity.” People attending a book signing in downtownNaperville similarly were ushered into the basement.

Joliet was deluged with nearly an inch of rainfall in only 16 minutes.

More than 300 flights were canceled at O’Hare International Airport and another 30 at Midway. Incoming and outgoing travelers also encountered delays of an hour and more. One of those delayed getting out of town was Vice President Joe Biden, who had been here for a couple of fundraisers.

The severe weather also delayed numerous Metra trains and forced the cancellation of others. One outbound commuter train was stuck for about five hours when the storm knocked down a power line onto the rail, said Metra spokesman Michael Gillis. After 2 a.m., the train was headed back downtown, and passengers were being asked to find alternative transportation or wait even longer for another train.

For updated schedules check the Metra website.

Today’s weather outlook is much tamer. The National Weather Service forecasts a 40 percent chance of showers in the late morning and afternoon, with southwest winds of 15 to 25 mph. The high will be in the mid 70s.

Before last night’s storm, June already had shaped up as one of the wettest on record.

Through Monday, 6.94 inches of rain had been recorded at Midway Airport, making this the third wettest start to June since observations started at the airport in 1928, according to WGN-TV meteorologist Tom Skilling

3rd wettest start to june in over 80 years, wtf

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info