Large Chemtool Plant Fire in Rockton, IL

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Can't believe they are only evac 1 mile radius...
giphy.gif

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I’m also surprised by the 1mi evacuation radius. I’d hate to know what kind of shit is in that smoke.

Records obtained by 13 WREX show the plant holds Zinc, Sulfuric Acid, Nitrogen, Lead, Ethylene Glycol (antifreeze, as Tate-Nadeau said), and Diphenylmethane Diisocyanate.

DIPHENYLMETHANE-4,4'-DIISOCYANATE

Fire Hazard
Special Hazards of Combustion Products: Toxic vapors are generated when heated.

Behavior in Fire: Solid melts and burns (USCG, 1999)
Health Hazard
Breathlessness, chest discomfort, and reduced pulmonary function. (USCG, 1999)

that one doesn't sound good.

aerial shot of the plume:

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Can someone edumcate me? Why are they saying to turn your air off? The freon goes through your AC unit and your furnace pulls inside air through the return and over the coil correct? I don't see the issue here.
I think it’s more for the big industrial units that pull in outside air, we have an emergency shut down on ours at work for if there is a release it blocks in all the vents shuts off the ac and puts the control room under positive pressure so no gasses can get in through cracks in doors and the building

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
I think it’s more for the big industrial units that pull in outside air, we have an emergency shut down on ours at work for if there is a release it blocks in all the vents shuts off the ac and puts the control room under positive pressure so no gasses can get in through cracks in doors and the building
And that makes sense... They appear to be telling everyone to do that though. FB_IMG_1623719846495.jpg

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
Folks are breathing that shit in, which is also coatings the land too.

Then you have the employees who will be out of work.

Not good
77 employees I heard. Plus we just had massive Chrysler layoffs recently. Not a good time around here.

I haven't fact checked the Facebook gurus but they said they were the biggest manufacturer of grease in the country.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info