• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Laminating the car

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
Years ago I recall people were laminating the front end of their cars to prevent stone chips, so I was wondering this: Can this be done to the roof of a car? The reason I ask is because my roof has some stone chips that are slowly turning into rust and my roof really needs to be repainted.

I wanted to laminate the roof just to slow the rusting down. I know it will look horrible when removed, but when it's removed that's when I will actually repaint the roof. $$$ are the issue.

Does anyone know if this is possible or does laminating only happen for parts that can be removed? Like bumper covers and hoods?

Thanks!

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
dude. you aren't going to rattle can plastidip the roof of a fucking marauder tinfoil. stop it.

Its a cheap way to keep it from being exposed to weather, doesn't hurt the paint and is completely removable.

Sounds like a easy temp solution to protect it til its painted

Plus way cheaper them 3m material.

Also I'm not doing anything to a marauder

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
dude. you aren't going to rattle can plastidip the roof of a fucking marauder tinfoil. stop it.

I said I had no idea what it was. Now that I know, I will not do that. Just looking for a few thoughts on short term protection from the winter.

I still haven't gotten an answer if this would actually work, because I don't know how laminating is done to a car. I have looked it up and no one has done it to a roof, that I could find out about.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Clear bra is expensive... Why not just have it repainted if it's only $600? I did a quick google search but it looks like the bra is $300 - $400 for your typical front end and it's going to look stupid on your roof. Spend the extra coin and have it repainted. If you're really worried about rust and don't care how it looks temporarily then just drop some POR15 on the rusty areas and leave it there until it's time to paint. It's going to look ugly as sin but it will accomplish what you're trying to do.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I was yelling at tinfoil not you

It's a cheap temporary solution that offers the best protection at the lowest price. If your that worried you can add more coats. Its not like paint, more layers = more protection with plastidip.

Then when you want to paint the car, it Peels right off. It comes in tons of colors and can even be paint color matched now. Have some fun with it til you have the money to repaint it the right way.

:dunno: makes sense to me.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Scrape the rust sport out with a razor blade and try not to make the chip any bigger then you have to. Then just touch it up with paint. Be gentle and do multiple layers of tough up paint while trying not to slobber it all over the roof. As long as you scrape the rust out and seal the exposed bare metal you will prevent and more rust.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info