Drag to reposition cover

BUILD LAME Turbo V6 Camaro

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I would think a larger gap to be harder on coils as it'd take more juice?

As far as the timing my car almost always did that 😬
My thoughts as well. Fouls the plug quicker, but easier on the coil. 🤷‍♂️

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I'd have to do some searching on that. I Kno zeph has posted a bunch of info on the plug gap and coils, but I would have to go reread it.

But just looking at your screenshots, I think you still have something messed up electrically. But I need to get the laptop and look at it closer.

sktchy3.8

boosted trashcan enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanna say I set mine at .030 or .032 and shooting for 15ish psi. .045 seemed fine on 10 to 12 psi but I agree that I think somethings still going on. Pcm uses a combination of mass airflow based cylinder airmass numbers by rpm to figure timing correct? And I've definitely decided I had maf issues from things that happened with my car that I should finish one of these days. How's condition of your maf I feel like maybe thats something that hasn't been looked at thus far on your car?

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I just got home and I just started working, but it's amazing that this car ran at all. First I went to the back seat and dug out these bad boys.
PXL_20211104_194725585.jpg

...which means I have not changed my plugs since dyno day. Cool. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, they need to be done.

Also, 2 of the 6 plugs were for some reason so loose that I could finger tighten both of them about a turn and a half. I'm surprised it didn't run a lot worse yesterday.

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
So, it runs good now? For whatever reason I've been in a habit or torquing my spark plugs to spec lately. I've found a couple loose in my car before as well I'm not sure if the taper and heat cycles have allowed them to work loose or what

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
So, it runs good now?
Uh huh

I finally drove the car to work for the first time on the "new" wheels I mounted last year. :LOL::love: This car feel so much better than I remember. Part of it is just because it's been so long that I forgot. The other part is that it IS better. The LS6 springs have made stomping on the pedal so much more rewarding. It revs a lot higher and quicker without any bitching. Plus, I can finally power shift without worrying about T5 explosions! I really need a new computer so that I can edit videos and show you.

Thank you everybody for reading my sad posts and offering your advise! I couldn't have done it without TCG.
1636112821778.png

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I think I finally get how Smokey got her name.

I pulled the charge pipe directly after the turbo for the first time since installing the restriction fitting. Much to my pleasant surprise, it was bone dry inside. The turbo's oil leak has healed itself! There is also no shaft play to be concerned about. With that being said, why does this car smoke so much?

I went for another long drive and saw patterns. It didn't smoke at all when the car was started and up to temp. It didn't smoke in stop/go traffic. It also did just fine if I was just cruising. These are all scenarios that are not exactly normal for the Camaro. Once I start driving it like I normally do (a fucking idiot with a big turbo :ROFLMAO:) the smoke starts bellowing and doesn't stop unless I keep it out of boost for a while. Now my gears are turning.

I'm about positive that this has to do with the cheapo Summit branded header wrap that I'm using. After reading a couple random forum threads it seems that using this stuff is a pretty big no-no. I'm running only 10psi which is nothing for this turbo or cast manifolds, but one DSM racer had an extreme scenario involving all the boost and a glowing header. He once popped the hood thinking that his car was on fire. As it turned out, there were no flames but his header wrap looked like the embers at the bottom of a campfire. Maybe I need to pull off the wrap and get these parts ceramic coated instead. If the under-hood temps get too high, I'll re-wrap it with the good stuff.

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
I really wish I'd had got my headers coated. I refuse to wrap them in anything and cover up what they are unless absolutely necessary, or I get tired of buying plug wires

Pro Stock John

That LS1Tech guy
Reaction score
hot headers i don't think would create smokey blue exhaust. oil is getting in there from somewhere, a leak or worn stuff or something.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I got under the car to start pulling header wrap and made some annoying discoveries. The crossover wrap is soaked in oil. I almost guarantee that it's the rear main seal and/or pan gasket which have already been done twice to remedy this. If this is the problem, it's a lot worse now than it ever has been before.

I'm not 100% convinced that's it though. The bottom of the turbo, the hose, and the side of the pan were also wet. It may have been from the feed leak I had earlier, but I still went ahead and replaced the drain hose anyway. It was as hard as rock and spinning on the push lock fittings without any effort. I also have the wrap off the down pipe and new VHT drying. I'll have it back on the car soon, but my hopes of being smoke free are pretty low. Pulling the wrap off the crossover pipe might help a little but it certainly doesn't fix the actual problem.

Is it possible that my shaft seals are angry with my lack of crankcase vacuum? Maybe I'll redo the catch can plumbing this winter so that I can re-incorporate the PCV. It would kinda suck, but at least I already have the welded bungs and cans. The rest should be gravy.

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
My car always liked to push through the seals with a can on it that's why I went back to a breather cap. Ideally I think the other side needs vented as well but do not vent that thing back into the intake your asking for nothing but trouble there

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
My car always liked to push through the seals with a can on it that's why I went back to a breather cap. Ideally I think the other side needs vented as well but do not vent that thing back into the intake your asking for nothing but trouble there
It would be the same setup I have now except stock PCV and check valves before the cans. This way a vacuum can still be drawn on the seals, and pressure/junk can be pushed through the check valves into the catch cans.

The whole thing I have now was to combat an issue I didn't understand. Now that I know about that stupid throttle passage, I can kinda de-racecar it a bit.... Or go dry sump and embrace the rediculously overkill tank setup I have. Lmao

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
I don't either but a single 10an wasn't doin it for me very well, I should relocate my icm and just run dual cans

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
what is your crankcase vent setup, too little and the engine will push out rear main seal in cars I'm told. My 85mm setup I'm running dual -10 to a can.
Basically valve cover vents without the drips. PCV is plugged so no suction.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
nice.

maybe you just have a bad seal somewhere and it leaks under power.
The seal is brand spanking new. That's what sucks. I'm tired of replacing it, and I'm kinda hoping that a properly functioning PCV system will heal it enough to keep the smoke manageable. Right now, I can't even keep the windows closed without being smoked out.

I was having a good day, and the weather was gorgeous. I decided to take a drive to the weekly cruise spot since the car hadn't been able to go all year. Shockingly, there were quite a few people there. I thought for sure it would be completely done by November.

1636240007832.png

1636240445334.png

1636240460807.png

1636240468227.png

Nicest stockish Maverick I've ever seen.
1636240510168.png

1636240534273.png

1636240548719.png

Anyway, this is what my oil pan looked like when I got there. It looks like rear-main and turbo pipe are leakers. The camera didn't catch it, but the crossover pipe was filling the engine bay with smoke.
1636240642934.png

Here's the new look. I think I like the black with shitty welds better than the wrap anyway.
1636240905306.png

1636240927791.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom