BUILD LAME Turbo V6 Camaro

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Here we go! The crank gear was a tad stuck. lol
1635815352522.png

Yep. That's not supposed to be like that.
1635815380765.png

New on top. Old on bottom.
1635815402148.png

I had that happen once in my car. Didn't align the balancer perfectly and ran the bolt down and destroyed the keyway. Had to go find a new one and dig out the old one. Huge PITA
One of my new favorite tools is my air hammer. I would have been sitting there struggling for days trying to remove that smashed key without one. The air hammer with a pointed attachment got it out in about five seconds!

Much better
1635815442364.png

This is where I called it quits for the night. It had been a long day, and I didn't really get started on this until 7:00. Besides, I decided to get a new timing cover gasket and front seal. Yeah, I just did the front seal, but it got a bit dented by the hammer. I'm not taking any chances while it's super easy to reverse.

Oh yeah. Here's the damaged balancer. It's a bit more messed up than I thought, but I don't think it's bad enough to warrant a new one.
1635815717864.png

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Reaction score
Glad that worked out so well, I never considered the air hammer as an option but I'll keep that in mind for the future! I'm pretty sure I spent at least a few hours digging mine out. I remember it being the only thing I was able to get done that day.
My balancer looks a lot like that too and I've been running it ever since I did that :ROFLMAO:

sktchy3.8

boosted trashcan enthusiast
Reaction score
I too used to underestimate the value of an air hammer. It's not somethin a guy needs alot, but when you do need it it's a lifesaver. Glad to see you making progress!

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
So if there was a single fix for the car, the crank key was most definitely it. It starts quickly, idles smooth, and runs through most of the power band.

Part of me is incredibly excited because I just beat the hell out of this car and had a blast. I broke the 275s loose around a couple corners at part throttle and the bald eagles shed tears of joy. The other part of me knows that it's not yet time to drive this car regularly.

It's not letting me go WOT. If I give it too much throttle it pops and backfires. It even popped my intake hose off the turbo inlet. That's all I'm going to say for now though. There are other issues as well that I don't want to think or care about yet. Lol

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I just had a thought. You think the car could need a retune with just a valve spring upgrade? Hear me out, my car had valve float issues before the spring upgrade. Now that my valves actually open and close when they should, I suppose that's like doing a cam swap, right? My only reservation would be that the popping I have now starts before my valve float would have been noticeable. Then again, I was driving the car like a pissed off teenager last night with no regard for third gear's well-being :cool:, so I might be seeing something that I just never could before. I don't know. I'm just a chump. What do you all think?

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
A retune from just valve springs doesn't sound possible to me. You may benefit from it a little, but if it's popping and breaking up, I doubt a tune would fix it.

Will your scanner now pickup misfires?

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
A retune from just valve springs doesn't sound possible to me. You may benefit from it a little, but if it's popping and breaking up, I doubt a tune would fix it.

Will your scanner now pickup misfires?
Good question. I doubt it. Even with the balancer set incorrectly, I would think it could pick something up. I'll have to try it though. Just thinking about trying to log data again makes me cringe. Fucker never works right even after three re-wiring attempts. 😣

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Good question. I doubt it. Even with the balancer set incorrectly, I would think it could pick something up. I'll have to try it though. Just thinking about trying to log data again makes me cringe. Fucker never works right even after three re-wiring attempts. 😣

Want to buy a mpvi-1? Or trade even up?

;)

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's at least progress. If you were floating up top I wouldn't trust the part of the tune up there if you changed the springs.

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
It sounds to me like maybe you've got some spark break up but we really kinda do need some data lol. What's your plug gap at? How much boost are you seeing? afrs look good?

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like maybe you've got some spark break up but we really kinda do need some data lol. What's your plug gap at? How much boost are you seeing? afrs look good?
It sounds exactly like that. I know I need real data and graphs, but the AFR seems to sit around 12.5:1 even when it's breaking up. Plug gap is .020", and boost is still only set at 10psi. It's hard to put a finger on when the problems start though. Time to put my game face on and prepare to slide face-first down the Pro Link cheese grater again. 😣

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
That seems pretty tight for that amount of boost and 12.5 is pushing your luck. I'd try and get it between 11 and 11.5 and give yourself a little headroom.

I'm going to try going back to a stock maf curve and use my mini afc to get fuel down this next go around. Seems like messing with the maf curve likes to cause issues in itself.

Your icm grounded well?

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
I wonder if whatevers going on is tied into your issues with logging data as well tho. But you've been through the harness, ignition, and injectors already.

What if you put the stock file back in and just change your injector rates to what's in there and see if it's anywhere close at idle? I remember having to do that a time or two trying to hunt down issues

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I replaced the ICM with the spare. No change. I also did a case relearn since I thought that I might've screwed it up before replacing the key. No change.

This isn't a negative post though. First of all, I drove this car 100 miles today and had a blast. It pulls so much harder than I remember and even felt good enough to go through the auto wash. Second of all the logger worked pretty darn great. I did run into a new issue with it, but I want to see if anybody picks up on it.

Back to techy shit. I noticed this goofy hunting sort of deal going on which happened as soon as I started coasting. WTF
1635979058664.png

Here's a break-up event.
1635979229055.png

Another one with actual WOT
1635979297469.png

and another
1635979415927.png

So sktchy3.8 sktchy3.8 seems onto something. I guess 11.5:1 IS my commanded ratio. I'm just not getting there for some reason. It might be time to break out the ghetto rail pressure gauge hose again. If I need I pump, I'm definitely upgrading to something from racetronix. Adapting a universal pump to fit into the goofy F-body bucket sender was a PITA, and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm sucking the bucket dry on hard pulls. It makes sense to me anyway. I'll look at this closer tomorrow.

Attachments

sktchy3.8

Reaction score
I've had these problems when switching to e85 trying to use the maf curve, would even stall out frequently if I didn't pedal it off a pull. It was cured by going back to a closer to stock maf curve and using the injector gain to scale it for the corn thanks to GTPpower GTPpower on that one too :bowrofl:

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
What is going on with your timing? Unless I'm missing something, it looks like your tps% stays fairly even, but your timing is all over.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
What is going on with your timing? Unless I'm missing something, it looks like your tps% stays fairly even, but your timing is all over.
No clue. I thought it looked strange, but I had no idea what would make it blip around like that.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
It looks like it's more of a problem when my AFR is unsteady. Idk if that means anything though.

I'm gonna spill the beans on one of my other "concerns" real quick. The transmission needs to come back out. :rolleyes: I don't think my TOB has enough clearance with the pressure plate because I have a pretty gnarly growl unless I press the pedal in. I'm waiting to deal with that until the salt pushes this car into the garage for winter though.

I just came up with a new organization idea for this thread. I'm at work, so I can't do it now. However, I think I'm going to attach my current tune on the first post of the thread. That way, it's easily referenced for anybody who needs it.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
For now, my tune is on Post #1175.

Looking back at why I had to post my tune a year ago reveals that I'm dealing with the same exact issue now as I was then. I likely just forgot about it because I promptly blew the second T5 after that. This is good news. Now I know that this is something that just sorta developed instead of something that I messed up. It's not exactly clear whether or not I changed my plugs. If I did, I probably didn't open up my gap like I was advised. If I did, the old plugs will be sitting in the back seat. I forgot about those... I probably have 12 brand new plugs. lol

If I DID change them, Turbocharged400sbc Turbocharged400sbc suggested that I have a coil winding going bad. Do small gaps wear out coils too?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom