🔧 BUILD LAME Turbo V6 Camaro

General Information

Hello! Welcome to the shit show! I am updating this post in 2021 to explain what new readers are about to witness. If I knew that this thread and build were going to explode into what it is today, I would have started it out a lot different.

This car was (and still is) a basket case. The whole inspiration for starting this project was to start learning how to modify engines in a car that I didn't like. That way, if and when I screwed up, I wouldn't be ruining a nice car. It spiraled out of control from the first moment that I felt boost. I loved what I had created, but it took a ton of work to get to where I was. As soon as I got the car running nicely I was always saying "I'm going to fix______, and THEN I'll just enjoy driving it." You know the drill. Drive, break, fix, repeat! Before I knew it, I enjoyed driving and working on this turd more than the nice car I was trying to preserve!

The point is that the focus of this thread shifts A LOT. To complicate matters, I never have just one ongoing project open at a time. I listed some thread contents with links below. I will update this as new milestones or big updates happen. Just know that even if you click on the shortcut, you may have to scroll past other project posts to reveal the outcome. There are also some mini-projects and very helpful advice from other members in between, so read the whole dang thing if you want!

2018-2019
1. A late introduction
2. Discovering how a PCV works (and plugging it)
3. Custom grill for intercooler
4. Fuel pump trap door
5. Learning that I'll never learn anything from my goofy wide band gauge
6. Deleting AC completely, but retaining heat
7. Low profile heater hose fittings
8. Deleting an air bag without setting a light on the dash
9. Starting a second round of floor repairs
10. ABS delete and line lock installation
- A separate thread for the electrons
11. Installing catch cans with nice brackets (Way overkill)
12. Figuring out the "blow by" problem once and for all (F-body intake plug)
13. Second clutch job, first rear cover job, and preliminary transmission swap research
14. Floors are "done", and Interior is installed.
15. I don't know how to tune, but this wide band might help.
16. Poly trans mount. Yeah, it actually deserves a link.
17. I waved the tuning white flag. Dyno Brian sets me straight!
18. T5 Pro5.0 shifter
19. New shifter was too much fun. OG T5 explodes, and my transmission conversion ideas start to get serious.
-TKX conversion
-TKX swap official write-up
20. Reconfiguring my exhaust for a quieter and less leaky future
21. I'm not done enjoying this car for the year, so I install a $100 T5 instead of a bulletproof conversion. SPOILER ALERT: It only lasts two months.
22. Minor repairs/updates that make the car livable (lighting, stereo, speedometer re-zero, and a clutch master cylinder that actually does it's job!)
23. Wheels and addressing rust again since I got time!
24. Custom center caps
25. 1.9 roller rockers and LS6 springs
26. CAI V2.0
27. TKX is delayed so it's time to address the little annoyances.
-OE pan is junk. Dorman pan gets hot rodded
28. TKX is still delayed, so I install just one poly engine mount and beef up my flimsy turbo drain plumbing
29. TKX does NOT ship the following Monday. Flywheel bolts upgraded to ARP M10 x 1.0
30. When you're on a Chinese garbage budget, you better be ready to work harder. (Oil drain fitting hot rodding)
31. Finally repairing the oil sender pig tail, replacing the other engine mount, and test fitting the TKX.
32. Finally addressing rear brake lines while I wait for more transmission parts.
33. Modifying an ICM for a WOT box
34. Dash gets re-instrumented so that diagnostics become possible.
35. N2MB WOT box
36. Porked crank key. PSA: Be careful installing your balancer!
37. Car runs great after plug change, but the rear main seal needs to be changed again.
38. BURNOUT! Also, I kinda bought a cam.
39. Turbo drain finale (better be) and full exhaust commenced
40. Downpipe V3 and BMR strut tower brace
41. Panhard bar and relocation for bro truck exhaust
42. Muffler, driveshaft, torque arm, and giving up smoking.
43. First trip to the GS Nationals (feat. time slip)
44. The very custom AC project is born
45. New dyno results (up 50 hp!)
46. Exhaust hanger repair before Michigan/S.S. Badger/Wisconsin trip
47. Sizing a better turbo
48. Painting but still not installing the IS3 heads and Monster clutch unboxing
49. Firewall brace
50. New ECM
51. Out of storage and SC engine buy failure #3
52. Modified double roller and spitballing crankcase evac ideas
53. Completing the rear suspension. UMI rear control arms.
54. Cracked headers and L32 swap begins
55. My newest L32 was trash. I'm upgrading the L36 instead
56. Side project: The ultimate-ish intake manifold takes shape

Now back to 2018!
1688935182526.png

Now that this car is running and driving, I figured I would start a thread dedicated to all the questions I’m about to pummel this group with. This is the first time I've really built anything to move quicker than stock, so I'm hoping to learn a lot from you guys before I make unnecessary mistakes. I also have a thread in the Turbobuick.com 3800 section, but I'm not getting as much input there due to a lack of audience. Here goes nothing...

The car I have is a 2002 Camaro with only ONE factory option (rear window defogger). The story supposedly goes that my buddy's dad was looking forever for a new Camaro because he never buys anything for a penny more than the best deal. He almost ran out of time as this was the final model year for the F-body, and '03s were already on the market. The dealer from which he found this car bought it for the sole purpose of being able to advertise "Brand new Camaros for under $10k", so this was the one he took home.

Fast forward to 2018. The car was structurally a wreck from living in the rust belt, but has a great interior, okay black paint, a third pedal, a 3800 (which is a plus in my book), and a lot of sentimental value since I remember riding in it when it was brand new. My buddy’s dad handed me the keys in hopes that I would enjoy it and make it a race car. To be honest, I don’t care for F-bodies, but I couldn't resist this one for the reasons above despite knowing that the floors were in desperate need of existing again.

I already had my dream car which is a 1986 Buick Regal Grand National. As much as I love that car, I like it the way it is in fairly stock form and modifying Buicks has gotten terribly expensive anyway. I figured a black 3800 Camaro could easily fulfill my childhood dreams of racing a badass turbo Buick V6 car while being on a budget, so here I am.

The car is now equipped with:
-6765 ebay turbo
-Precision PW40 wastegate
-Custom turbo exhaust utilizing a stock Camaro and FWD manifolds
-Air to air ebay intercooler
-AEM 50-1200 fuel pump
-Siemens Deka 80# fuel injectors
-Open 3” downpipe
-Custom 3” charge pipes
-Intense mail order tune
-Very ugly but functional upright radiator conversion (the core support was all just rust anyway) :dunno:
-Custom space saving AC delete without bypass pulley
-Midwest Chassis bumper support modified to mount my intercooler
-Spec Stage 1 clutch kit

The car is far from refined and has a lot of little issues to sort out, but I will leave the first post as sort of an introduction to that. I hope you enjoy hearing about it. It’s been fun to build!

Cgge0Pb.jpg

uapwiw2.jpg

08tL6Rj.jpg

7zXNhuZ.jpg

PVLQyzg.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
also brace your turbo to the engine not the frame. the motor moves and the exhaust is connected to that motor not directly to the frame so when you get torquey it will actually put the tubing in a bind if you are braced to the frame or body rather than braced to the motor itself. should be able to find a hole that already has a bolt. built a bracket to bolt to the motor and either weld it to the turbo or make a cradle for the turbo to rest in. Hope this helps a little.
My troubles are a lot more specific than that. There aren't a lot of great places to bolt to the engine and give the turbo any useful support without getting really fancy (ugly) with the brackets. There are some unused bolt holes where the AC bracket was, but my charge pipe runs right where the bracket would be. There are also the heater fitting bolts, but those are almost perfectly level with the turbo. They won't really support anything vertically with a simple tie. I'd rather see how long it takes to crack. The old setup lasted a year. The manifolds themselves are still cast so it may take a long time.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Well there's a relief! Despite dumping a bunch of water out of this thing and having a very grungy external appearance, the parts that matter look pretty good. The reverse gear looks a bit beat, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm gonna throw the minimum amount of parts at this thing and toss it in the car.
Snapchat-46028800.jpg

Here's why the the cover has to be replaced.
PXL_20200924_214539587.jpg

Reactions: GTPpower

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Weak
PXL_20200928_211529785.jpg

Peelable shims are pretty cool
PXL_20200928_222936180.jpg

Beef
PXL_20200928_222941424.jpg

After hours of fumbling around, I have a frankentrans! That took way longer than I care to admit, but I blame most of the lost time on having really crappy snap ring pliers. It's time to upgrade.

Just admire the beautiful contrast. ?
PXL_20200929_015212164.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Sorry for the lack of pictures. I had a buddy helping me knock stuff out yesterday, and wanted to take full advantage of the time. Since the GN was out of the way, weather was cool, and we were itching to wrench, we got a lot done.

First thing on the to-do list was control arm replacement on the daily. I had a nasty clunk any time I hit bump, but it was most apparent at slow speeds. Going over the speed bumps at work was actually kind of embarrassing. Here's the offender.
1601895007442.png

Yes, I know it's just a bad bushing. If you compare the low cost difference between bushings and a whole control arm then factor in that I needed ball joints as well, replacing the whole arm was a no-brainer.

It's amazing how much racket this made. I no longer have the warped rotor sensation while braking either. (y) The only thing that sucks now is that my alignment is completely jacked. I'm going to go back in there, replace the tie rod ends, and send it out for an alignment because this isn't cool. My turn signals don't even work right!
1601895655020.png

Yeah, yeah. I have a tire light. It's cold out! This isn't a C30 thread anyway. Let's talk about the fun stuff.

The frankentrans is installed in the Camaro! In true broke boi fashion, I'm reusing that messed up clutch. I just scuffed up the flywheel and pressure plate surfaces to remove the glaze, installed the disc THE CORRECT WAY, and slammed it all back together. I'm finally getting good at reinstallation too. Lowering the k-member about a half inch is the trick. Although having the clutch hub facing the correct direction may have a lot to do with it too. :LOL:

Now I just need to fill the beast up with ATF, finish the exhaust, sort out the turbo oil drain, and see how she drives! o_O I can't believe that I've made it this far already. My drain fitting showed up along with a bunch of stuff from Summit, so my only excuse now is time. (y) I happen to have plenty of that right now.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I already cut up the unfinished downpipe. I think the bend on the back side of the shock tower came too soon and was at risk of coming into contact with the body. I also thought it would look (and flow) better to make one long sweeping bend instead of a bend, a straight, and another bend.

Half the fun of welding is rigging up your parts. Good thing I had this useless bell housing and a brand new magnet!
PXL_20201005_205939038.jpg

I think this looks much better already. I hope tucking it too far under the cowl doesn't make installation and removal a bear.
PXL_20201005_220344347.jpg

Much more clearance, and no awkward space.
PXL_20201005_220340044.jpg

PXL_20201005_220351010.jpg

PXL_20201005_223106415.jpg

I was afraid of the catch can drain petcock getting in the way. It turns out those fears were justified. Oh well. That's no biggie.

Afterward I got to chatting with the neighbors, so that's as far as I got.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Extended
1602023699353.png
1602023801607.png

It got heavy, so I started making the brace. The alternator bolt idea got in the way of the oil filler, so I went to the weakest bolt on the whole engine.
1602023770621.png
1602023889038.png

I'm not sure how to brace the turbo, so I'm going to leave it alone. I haven't had issues yet, so let's hope it stays that way.

1602024041504.png

I'm so close, yet so far. The turbo drain is going to be a huge pain. I might have to buy yet another turbo drain fitting because the extended -10 is not going to work well even if it's modified. I'm thinking I'll have to get an NPT fitting, convert it to swagelok, and run a hard line until I clear all the shit that's in my way. Even the turbo blanket isn't fitting right. :mad:

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Is there a "Most Improved Welding" award?
PXL_20201007_235129024.jpg

Probably mostly luck. I must say that I've been a lot more patient with my prep though. It's paying off!

With the welding done, it's time to paint.
PXL_20201007_224210819.jpg

Damn that sucker is massive. No, it's not really done, but at least connecting the turbo to a pre-made cat-back will be as easy as cutting off a small section of down pipe, welding on a V-band, and making a custom intermediate pipe. I wanted to stop here before I spent too much money. A cat-back would not be wise right now, and I still place the TKO at a higher priority.

I also played around with the drain fitting. I like this fancy oring design, but I'm a bit skeptical of it's effectiveness. This came straight from China and the black oring seems a bit small in thickness. I'm gonna run it and find out. It can't be worse than the horrible paper gaskets.
PXL_20201007_222153451.jpg

PXL_20201007_221744476.jpg

Did you catch that? Yeah, I'm gonna run it! The extended drain fitting will work just fine.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
PXL_20201014_233737521.jpg

My dumbass was so proud to be done with paint. Then I remembered a big problem. I've been using engine paint this whole time.
giphy.gif

My beautiful work is about to turn into a nasty mess. To add insult to injury, I have to put this thing back together again just so that I can burn the paint off. Then I have to pull it off again, repaint with the right stuff, and wrap. Oh well! :s00ls:

Seriously though. Despite being excited to hear to the car run again, it sucks putting it all back together when you are well aware that it will all be coming apart within a week. :rolleyes:

But first I EXHAUST painted and rewrapped the frayed section of my crossover pipe.
PXL_20201014_233720870.jpg

I'm all about copper spray and anti-seize these days. I'm in love with how easily the exhaust goes back together now.
PXL_20201015_001606741.jpg

PXL_20201015_003141700.jpg

:fy:
This car may not be anywhere near where I wanted it to be before calling it "done" for the year, but I'm pretty happy with the progress all things considered. I found all the things I need to get the oil drain finished in the garage, so I might be able to start the car tomorrow!

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
You've definitely come a long ways. Not long ago, you were ready to sell it.
Yeah, I realized that my low skilled time and effort are pretty worthless to a buyer for this car. There really isn't anything of particular value in the car. Anything I didn't make myself is mostly cheap junk or stock parts. Still, I'm proud of it. I've never done any real build up before and I didn't start with a super easy platform.

I hope I can get past my financial dip and wedding planning without needing to sell off any toys. If so, things are going to get really good for this car.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon

I think the longer and curvier downpipe is giving me a trombone effect because the exhaust note is noticeably deeper. As of right now, I love it! I'm sure its exit is going to drive me nuts once I get it on the road, but I'll fix it eventually.

By the way, per advice I got from here and some friends I was able to massage the turbo blanket into a more desirable shape and install it with just one spring. The turbo drain has a very low decline angle, but it is downhill the whole way. I hope the draining action is at least better than it was.
Burning paint 10-20.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
This could easily go in the neglected maintenance thread. I've been dealing with driver side exhaust leaks since I plumbed the turbo.

The first step was cranking down the manifold bolts. That helped a bunch, but it still wasn't fully sealed. It was time to learn how to change a donut gasket.
PXL_20201016_190727535.jpg

Well that was easy. I shoulda done that two years ago.
PXL_20201016_200907438.jpg

I just cut the flange off of the old downpipe. I'm glad I did because I forgot that it's mated to the body. I'll have to get a new waste gate if I ever want to redo the exhaust again.
PXL_20201016_212255712.jpg

Been a while!
PXL_20201016_212836582.jpg

PXL_20201016_212846614.jpg

PXL_20201016_221023999.jpg

The paint is burning off nicely ?, the trans feels amazing, the exhaust is a lot quieter, and the throttle is even more responsive. I need to work on the brakes next. I have a stuck e brake.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Fucking love it, they should have come from the factory like that!
Thanks! I've dreamed about that sort of thing from time to time. I think GM totally could have sold the crap out of a special edition Firebird with an L67. I'm guessing the cost would have been pricey though. The L67 wasn't exactly cheap when it was new. Shoot. Paint them all white, call it a pace car, and send it. They would still be gone in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Rooter and TurboTPI

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
???? I've missed this car so much.

It's still terribly loud, but it's so much fun. The frankentrans is working fine, but there are some concerning noises at times. My buddy seems to think that it's because of my poly trans mount. After riding in his T56 car with the poly mount, I think I agree. Nonetheless, I think it's a healthy reminder to keep my foot out of the throttle. It also wants to pop out of second when I downshift. :cautious: Oh well. For $220 total investment, I cannot complain!

I drove the car to work this morning, but I no longer smell paint. I'm probably going to take it apart int he next few days so that I can put the correct paint on it, wrap it, and be done under the hood. After that, I'll just enjoy it until snowfall. After that, I think it's time to finally get those friggen subframe connectors installed. I'm so tired of tripping on them.

For right now, yes. I want to buy a nice cat back, but I'm broke. Lol. I need to stick to the cheap and laborious tasks for a while.
I feel ya man! I ran a dump under my car for a few months. I finally have it all the way back. It’s such a difference it’s crazy. I love it. I’m sure you will too. Let me know how that extended oil drain works. I may buy the same one for my other turbo car.

Reactions: v6buicks

Thread Info