🔧 BUILD LAME Turbo V6 Camaro

General Information

Hello! Welcome to the shit show! I am updating this post in 2021 to explain what new readers are about to witness. If I knew that this thread and build were going to explode into what it is today, I would have started it out a lot different.

This car was (and still is) a basket case. The whole inspiration for starting this project was to start learning how to modify engines in a car that I didn't like. That way, if and when I screwed up, I wouldn't be ruining a nice car. It spiraled out of control from the first moment that I felt boost. I loved what I had created, but it took a ton of work to get to where I was. As soon as I got the car running nicely I was always saying "I'm going to fix______, and THEN I'll just enjoy driving it." You know the drill. Drive, break, fix, repeat! Before I knew it, I enjoyed driving and working on this turd more than the nice car I was trying to preserve!

The point is that the focus of this thread shifts A LOT. To complicate matters, I never have just one ongoing project open at a time. I listed some thread contents with links below. I will update this as new milestones or big updates happen. Just know that even if you click on the shortcut, you may have to scroll past other project posts to reveal the outcome. There are also some mini-projects and very helpful advice from other members in between, so read the whole dang thing if you want!

2018-2019
1. A late introduction
2. Discovering how a PCV works (and plugging it)
3. Custom grill for intercooler
4. Fuel pump trap door
5. Learning that I'll never learn anything from my goofy wide band gauge
6. Deleting AC completely, but retaining heat
7. Low profile heater hose fittings
8. Deleting an air bag without setting a light on the dash
9. Starting a second round of floor repairs
10. ABS delete and line lock installation
- A separate thread for the electrons
11. Installing catch cans with nice brackets (Way overkill)
12. Figuring out the "blow by" problem once and for all (F-body intake plug)
13. Second clutch job, first rear cover job, and preliminary transmission swap research
14. Floors are "done", and Interior is installed.
15. I don't know how to tune, but this wide band might help.
16. Poly trans mount. Yeah, it actually deserves a link.
17. I waved the tuning white flag. Dyno Brian sets me straight!
18. T5 Pro5.0 shifter
19. New shifter was too much fun. OG T5 explodes, and my transmission conversion ideas start to get serious.
-TKX conversion
-TKX swap official write-up
20. Reconfiguring my exhaust for a quieter and less leaky future
21. I'm not done enjoying this car for the year, so I install a $100 T5 instead of a bulletproof conversion. SPOILER ALERT: It only lasts two months.
22. Minor repairs/updates that make the car livable (lighting, stereo, speedometer re-zero, and a clutch master cylinder that actually does it's job!)
23. Wheels and addressing rust again since I got time!
24. Custom center caps
25. 1.9 roller rockers and LS6 springs
26. CAI V2.0
27. TKX is delayed so it's time to address the little annoyances.
-OE pan is junk. Dorman pan gets hot rodded
28. TKX is still delayed, so I install just one poly engine mount and beef up my flimsy turbo drain plumbing
29. TKX does NOT ship the following Monday. Flywheel bolts upgraded to ARP M10 x 1.0
30. When you're on a Chinese garbage budget, you better be ready to work harder. (Oil drain fitting hot rodding)
31. Finally repairing the oil sender pig tail, replacing the other engine mount, and test fitting the TKX.
32. Finally addressing rear brake lines while I wait for more transmission parts.
33. Modifying an ICM for a WOT box
34. Dash gets re-instrumented so that diagnostics become possible.
35. N2MB WOT box
36. Porked crank key. PSA: Be careful installing your balancer!
37. Car runs great after plug change, but the rear main seal needs to be changed again.
38. BURNOUT! Also, I kinda bought a cam.
39. Turbo drain finale (better be) and full exhaust commenced
40. Downpipe V3 and BMR strut tower brace
41. Panhard bar and relocation for bro truck exhaust
42. Muffler, driveshaft, torque arm, and giving up smoking.
43. First trip to the GS Nationals (feat. time slip)
44. The very custom AC project is born
45. New dyno results (up 50 hp!)
46. Exhaust hanger repair before Michigan/S.S. Badger/Wisconsin trip
47. Sizing a better turbo
48. Painting but still not installing the IS3 heads and Monster clutch unboxing
49. Firewall brace
50. New ECM
51. Out of storage and SC engine buy failure #3
52. Modified double roller and spitballing crankcase evac ideas
53. Completing the rear suspension. UMI rear control arms.
54. Cracked headers and L32 swap begins
55. My newest L32 was trash. I'm upgrading the L36 instead
56. Side project: The ultimate-ish intake manifold takes shape

Now back to 2018!
1688935182526.png

Now that this car is running and driving, I figured I would start a thread dedicated to all the questions I’m about to pummel this group with. This is the first time I've really built anything to move quicker than stock, so I'm hoping to learn a lot from you guys before I make unnecessary mistakes. I also have a thread in the Turbobuick.com 3800 section, but I'm not getting as much input there due to a lack of audience. Here goes nothing...

The car I have is a 2002 Camaro with only ONE factory option (rear window defogger). The story supposedly goes that my buddy's dad was looking forever for a new Camaro because he never buys anything for a penny more than the best deal. He almost ran out of time as this was the final model year for the F-body, and '03s were already on the market. The dealer from which he found this car bought it for the sole purpose of being able to advertise "Brand new Camaros for under $10k", so this was the one he took home.

Fast forward to 2018. The car was structurally a wreck from living in the rust belt, but has a great interior, okay black paint, a third pedal, a 3800 (which is a plus in my book), and a lot of sentimental value since I remember riding in it when it was brand new. My buddy’s dad handed me the keys in hopes that I would enjoy it and make it a race car. To be honest, I don’t care for F-bodies, but I couldn't resist this one for the reasons above despite knowing that the floors were in desperate need of existing again.

I already had my dream car which is a 1986 Buick Regal Grand National. As much as I love that car, I like it the way it is in fairly stock form and modifying Buicks has gotten terribly expensive anyway. I figured a black 3800 Camaro could easily fulfill my childhood dreams of racing a badass turbo Buick V6 car while being on a budget, so here I am.

The car is now equipped with:
-6765 ebay turbo
-Precision PW40 wastegate
-Custom turbo exhaust utilizing a stock Camaro and FWD manifolds
-Air to air ebay intercooler
-AEM 50-1200 fuel pump
-Siemens Deka 80# fuel injectors
-Open 3” downpipe
-Custom 3” charge pipes
-Intense mail order tune
-Very ugly but functional upright radiator conversion (the core support was all just rust anyway) :dunno:
-Custom space saving AC delete without bypass pulley
-Midwest Chassis bumper support modified to mount my intercooler
-Spec Stage 1 clutch kit

The car is far from refined and has a lot of little issues to sort out, but I will leave the first post as sort of an introduction to that. I hope you enjoy hearing about it. It’s been fun to build!

Cgge0Pb.jpg

uapwiw2.jpg

08tL6Rj.jpg

7zXNhuZ.jpg

PVLQyzg.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Hmmmm... Although MY cluster gear does not seem to be made anymore. THIS one (1352077070R) with the same tooth count is cheap and plentiful. I wonder if it's the same everywhere else.

Edit: I was wrong. These clusters do NOT have the same tooth count. My cluster can be bought new, but it costs about 2.5x the price of an entire transmission on marketplace. :rolleyes:

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'm getting some much needed garage therapy today.
1600106260645.png

First I just started cleaning the garage. It was nearly impossible to navigate with the Buick 350 on the floor. I was super happy to get that boat anchor back on a stand, keep the crane on the floor, and squeeze the GN back in it's spot. I've never been that organized. I also found a way to pull the transmission swap mess in and out of the way in seconds.
IMG_20200914_135317.jpg

I basically turned my wheel dollies into a rolling parts shelf creeper. Its simple and handy!

After a disappointing conversation with Full Throttle, I decided not to do an E85 conversion on the GN right now. It would require another fuel pump upgrade which I'm not prepared to do quite yet. Besides, I need to remember that the Camaro has more issues than just a blown trans. Open downpipes on stock 3800s are not cool. I don't care if it has a hair drier on it!

I'm hosting a party at the house next weekend. Hence, the garage cleanup. I don't want to make that big of a mess. However, I ordered a bunch of tube so that I can start making my new down pipe and waste gate dump next week! It's going to require modifications to the existing pipes, and even then squeezing the pipe between the hood, shock tower and valve cover is going to be tricky. Regardless, in excited. I wish I could build one out of stainless for the ultimate sexiness, but I don't have a TIG machine. ☹️ Some day.

Today's update: I finally spent the 10 minutes to shorten the IAT harness. Lol. Sometimes I need a boring day to knock out the dumb little stuff.
IMG_20200914_134926.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I don't want to make that big of a mess
I posted that and immediately threw the idea in the trash. :ROFLMAO:
IMG_20200914_144116.jpg

See how I made a full 90 degree bend up to the turbo? I think I'm going to cut it off at 45 degrees and weld a new flange on there. I did that thinking it would be easier to change turbos, but how often am I going to need to do that? Hopefully not a lot! The current transition from round to square is a disaster and lowering the turbo a little will allow a bigger bend radius on the down pipe.

As for the waste gate, I think I'm going to cut the perch down a couple inches, face the outlet the other direction and dump it to the ground. This all works in my head, but we'll see what happens when it comes time to re plumb the vacuum lines and stuff. I just hope that I won't have to move the entire perch. If that's the case, I'll have to rebuild the whole merge thing.
IMG_20200914_142825.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Sorry for not having pictures. To be honest, I'm not feeling much more pride in Merge Pipe 2.0 than I did in the original take. I quickly ran out of shielding gas so I switched to flux core. My flux core welds are actually some of the best welds I've ever made with this machine. It just sucks that I had to get spatter all over the place and weld over a bunch of really crappy MIG welds. (n) One more negative. I am using anew turbo flange which is considerably thinner than the one I cut off. The finish was junk when I got it anyway, but I probably warped it as well. I'm going to have to try belt sanding it smooth.

Here's the old flange ?
1600252986741.png

On the plus side, I took a lot of extra time to orient the flange at a more pleasing angle. It might be hard to tell in pictures, but the turbo always had a tiny bit of lean to it. After lots of mock-up, that should not be the case anymore. I also put some more effort toward making a smooth transition from the round pipe to the T4 flange. Despite needing to shave down some ugly welds, it looks like it flows much nicer.

The waste gate flange was pretty cut and dry, but I flux cored that back on as well. I'm going to get some shielding gas tonight so that I can at least MIG the DP, but the good news is that this whole thing will be getting re painted and rewrapped anyway. As long as there are no leaks, I'll call this out of sight and out of mind! I dropped a decent amount of weight off of this merge pipe, but it would be nice to brace it somewhere to prevent cracking. Now that I'm going through all this again with the updated heater hoses and tensioner, the heater hose retainer bolts look like a decent spot to anchor a support bracket.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Good thing I'll be wrapping this back up. ? Nobody wants to see that! I mocked it up one last time so that I could sit the turbo on the flange and get an ide for where the down pipe is going to go. The tight radius bends I bought are going to make it way easier/simpler than I initially planned. I'm going to true up the flange on the belt sander first, but what are everybody's thoughts on welding the bolts to the flange? Removing and reinstalling the turbo is a massive PITA even with the whole pipe off the car. I'm probably going to do that.
1600426629911.png

Well I know to never attempt head porting. ? Hopefully the gasket seals.
1600429180629.png

TurboTJ

Regular
Dec 7, 2011
Hey if it works and doesnt leak, it works and doesnt leak right? Lol
Anyways i was catching up on the tread and noticed you mentioned the 90* turn and WG placement and i instantly thought cut the angle out and lower the WG tube to only see you did that. Good work man! But honestly with the trans issues i woulda auto'ed it way long ago.

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Hey if it works and doesnt leak, it works and doesnt leak right? Lol
Anyways i was catching up on the tread and noticed you mentioned the 90* turn and WG placement and i instantly thought cut the angle out and lower the WG tube to only see you did that. Good work man! But honestly with the trans issues i woulda auto'ed it way long ago.
Very true. I did find a pinhole already though. ? Last time I did this I boogered it, wrapped it, and sent it which resulted in a whole bunch of undetected leaks. Since I had an open downpipe none could be heard, but I'm grinding my boogers and finding these leaks now. Even when I'm done welding, I'm going to hold off on wrapping so that I can hear, feel, and fix any other pinholes. Then I'll wrap it, and have an ugly, but nice system. lol

I hear ya, but I really don't think an auto swap is going to be as cheap or easy as as it sounds. Having an electric throttle means no TV or kick-down cables. 4L80e is the only sensible choice IMO. The good adapter is about $600. Then I need a controller which is $500 or more, a transmission ($???), shifter, console, pedal, wiring, driveshaft, crossmember, new tuning, and who knows what else. I'd be in it the same amount or more as a TKO. Yeah it would make the car faster, but I still think the reward is going to be worth the pioneering. It will certainly help to stop making such stupid mistakes like installing clutch disks backward.

:snooppalm:

Reactions: TurboTJ

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Neat
IMG_20200918_073539.jpg

Remind me never to attempt head porting. :(

IMG_20200918_152442.jpg

IMG_20200918_153148.jpg

Double not neat
IMG_20200918_154405.jpg

IMG_20200918_154420.jpg

First of all, welding the bolts was a bad idea. This turbo will not allow me spin the nut in the last pic. That's China for ya. Luckily I only welded one flat, so unoing this weld should be fairly easy. Needing to use two wrenches for one connection is better than the turbo sliding all over the place while you try to shove bolts through.

Second of all, the little drain adapter that came with turbo isn't going to work anymore. I'm going to need one that is extended and points straight down. The one I have shown was made to point away from the compressor housing. I hope getting one that points straight down, but has a long shank will suffice.

Reactions: GTPpower

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I went back to work yesterday!

Again, it's not pretty, but it will work! I find it kind of dumb that the turbo is cast in such a way that I cannot tighten nuts and bolts down, but I expected nothing less from an ebay unit. When my bolts weren't welded this didn't matter because the nut was captured and the bolt could be turned instead. I'm glad I took the time to make this change. I shouldn't need to take the turbo on and off a lot, but it will certainly make the process a less of a headache in the future. Shaving that one stud down a couple threads will make downpipe removal a ton easier as well!

Speaking of downpipe,
1600772299103.png
1600772317367.png

1600772331904.png

I am so happy with how this is turning out! As I suspected, spark plug changing with the downpipe installed is a no-go. Oh well. Undoing and redoing two v-bands is hardly a process. One big win here is finding that tight radius pipe which allowed me to go straight back instead of building a crazy bullhorn deal. Another big win is clearing the oil filler neck so that I don't need to do anything stupid for oil changes. There should be plenty of room for engine movement between the DP and the strut tower. Most of all, I think it looks pretty cool. :cool:

I haven't decided which way to go with the wastegate zoomy yet. I thought about running it similarly to how the original downpipe went, but that's a lot of pipe which would require bracing. For simplicity I think I'm going to face the wastegate outlet to the passenger side and have it dump almost straight down but to the driver side of the merge. It's hard to tell by the pictures, but facing the gate the other way would make belt changes a bear. dumping straight down from the other side is not quite going to clear because of the sway bar mount. Trust me. It's simple!
1.jpeg

The only thing I have yet to set in stone is a turbo brace. I've been running without one this whole time. The mounting as-is is very solid, but I do not feel great about having all that weight hanging completely unsupported. I was thinking about using the unused bolt holes by the oil feed to tie it to the heater fittings, but I'm not sure if that will really do anything for support. I might be able to triangulate it to one of the AC bracket holes, but I worry about the whole thing looking cluttered. We'll see. I'll worry about that after I get the rest of the plumbing sorted. I still don't know if my drain plan is going to work. I'm waiting on slow-boat parts from China to address that..

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I came across a transmission deal that I couldn't refuse.
1600872568889.png

I'm going to make the 10 hour round trip to snag it after work tonight. I know it isn't going to be "the fix" for my problems, but it will make my car functional again once I finish this exhaust. I'm thinking that I'm going to pop the tail housing off, drop in a billet bearing retainer plate, set the end play, and send it. It's not worth putting in any money or effort into a T5 rebuild. I'll just try to drive it nice and easy until I can scrape up the cash for a TKO.

Since the GN needs a lot of exhaust work, the C30 needs brakes and control arms, I need to consider buying a new daily, and the 240s power steering pump is on it's way to see god, a $150 band aid for the back up car sounds a lot nicer than $2600.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Damn I'm tired. I've driven pretty far out of my way for super trick car parts, but I've never done anything like this for a mass-produced tooth pick in need of a rebuild. This thing has clearly been sitting outside a while. When I was dumping the remainder of the fluid out, it showed up quite diluted and hardly red. Hopefully the ATF was enough to repel water off the gears and keep the damage down to only surface rust. Either way, it's looking like I'm going to end up pulling THIS trans apart for a clean-up if nothing else. At that point, I might just harvest the third gear and cluster for my trans. I was able to shift it into all gears and watch the output spin, but there's no telling what those synchros are like. I don't feel great about this buy, but it was only $150 which was about what I was hoping to spend on a gear set anyway. I'll be fine!

Some shots of the ride. I passed by the Duquoin State Fair grounds, and a lot of nice scenery to remind me why I miss Little Egypt.
1600948672138.png
1600948681481.png

Where in the Eff am I??
1600948709277.png

I ended up taking a completely different route home after Mt. Vernon. GPS said it was a similar ETA so ?‍♂️

After working more than a full shift, I drove 10 hours for a junk T5. I'm special. o_O

02TurboMaro

Jul 27, 2020
Wichita Falls, Tx
Real Name
John
also brace your turbo to the engine not the frame. the motor moves and the exhaust is connected to that motor not directly to the frame so when you get torquey it will actually put the tubing in a bind if you are braced to the frame or body rather than braced to the motor itself. should be able to find a hole that already has a bolt. built a bracket to bolt to the motor and either weld it to the turbo or make a cradle for the turbo to rest in. Hope this helps a little.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Be a g and put a 45 and connect your waste gate exhaust to the downpipe. the 45 will be so you don't get back pressure into the wastegate. This is if your running a open downpipe which I'm assuming you are.
The turbo setup was done already. The whole reason I'm doing this is so that I don't have the open downpipe anymore. Lol I'm not connecting the waste gate to the downpipe because it's nice to know when it's actually open. If I'm not beating on the car, it'll be quiet. If I'm beating on it, I don't care if it's louder.

Thread Info