Drag to reposition cover

LAME Turbo V6 Camaro

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
You just gotta stop over examining everything. You setup is very basic but you're asking advice from all of the 3800 people that all did whatever they did and had ZERO problems blah blah blah. Simple, simple, simple. If the tuner is a good tuner he should be able to see spark knock happen because of the plugs, or because of timing, or whatever. If you NEED plugs you can just run to the parts store and get them. NBD. I really hope you have a positive result with the dyno. People take pieces of shit to tuners and ask them to make magic happen and you're miles ahead of that.
Lol, truf.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Over examining is definitely the least fun part about being me. I really try not to, but it's part of my nature to want reasons for everything. It's extremely tiresome and makes socializing difficult at times. Anyway, I appreciate the words of encouragement. That shit helps.

I took the car out for some quick errands last night and those 104s seems to make a big difference. I didn't see KR the whole time I was out. (y) I'm feeling excited again. I will post late tomorrow.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
It went well, car made almost 400RWHP but fell just short due to fueling not being enough. ZERO KR.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
haha geez I wish it was that good, but it wasn't bad either. We stopped well before 400hp because KR city and valve float.

Brian didn't believe the KR for a minute, so he didn't hesitate to turn the knock sensors off. :oops: I'm a little scared about that, but at the same time it feels nice to be fat, dumb, and happy as opposed to never goosing the throttle because of false knock. lol

We also changed the plugs from AL 104s to NGK BR7EF and gapped them to .020" That helped quite a bit. We just couldn't get the power to stay smooth on the top end. The tune is good, but the valve springs are shot. 😕

Perfect outcome? No. Am I satisfied? Oh hell yeah. I learned a lot today, the car feels amazing, and I have a short list of to-dos that will make a big difference. I'm in love with the car again.

1593224603177.png

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Oh yeah, fun story. I almost wrecked the car, and it wasn't my fault. While driving it home on the interstate after returning the trailer, some dumb ass with one of these...
1593225053817.png

...in the bed of their F-150, decided straps weren't necessary. Of course it flew out and crashed directly in front of me. I swerved into the path of a box truck and missed the trailer, but the truck behind me was stuck in their lane. They smoked that sucker and sent the trailer flying once again, but into the guard rail. Their chrome bumper was not looking too hot, so my bumperless POS would not have put up a good fight. :oops: Can you imagine how much that could have sucked? Geeeeez!

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Congrats! Now don’t be such a pessimist about the 3800 lol only age was a factor (worn valve springs).

How is she running now? I mean as far as drivability..
Thanks! Believe me. I never blamed the 3800. All the negativity has been aimed at myself. I would have been nervous and dreadful towards pushing the limits on anything I built with my own hands. If I were to start all over with a new power train, I would still choose a 3800 without a doubt. Some would argue that my numbers are weak by today's standards. Stock V6 cars are making 300 hp and doing all of this work to an equally worthless LS car would net much higher numbers, but that's not the point. I threw 10 psi and injectors at a completely stock V6 which resulted in an added 130 hp and nearly double the torque. Considering that the stock numbers are measured at the crank, this car is no joke!

Drive-ability, is much improved. I no longer have the awful vibrations coming through the poly trans mount. The power also comes in nice and smooth, but I'm trying not to get too overly excited about that. The knock sensors are turned off. The KR before tuning was making the car fall on its face. I trust that Brian knew what he was doing when he turned the the knock sensors off because the car feels and sounds very healthy. I just miss that insurance in case something goes wrong. Then again, I'm not going to be using anything other than E85, Brian is a good tuner, I have a wideband, and I'm only running 10 psi. I don't think I'll have to worry much!

Congrats man! A new set of springs should help a lot.

What's next?
What's next? I'm sick of the garage at the moment. I want to go on road trips, spend more time with my girlfriend, and actually drive the cars I've spent and slaved so hard over.

I wouldn't expect any major mechanical updates in any of my threads in the near future, but I have pretty big long-term goals for this one. The only things I know I want to do soon are a wheel upgrade when I roast these tires off and window tints. That hatch glass is like a magnifying glass for the sun without having AC. As for the big stuff, I'd like to do it all without taking the car down for another two years. lol How far I go will depend on funds.

What I want to do is buy a Spohn tubular k-member with all new control arms, ball joints, coil overs, ect. I'll also load that up with a resealed L67 bottom end. I'll put head studs in it, and a valve train. Once that is all ready to go, I'll pull the heads, intake, steering rack, and all the stuff I'm not replacing on the Camaro, put it on the new K-member, and swap the whole assembly. It might seem a little funny to have so much business at the front of a car with stock everything behind it, but it's the most efficient way I can think of getting this done.

This of course all depends on if the transmission remains in good health. I think a TKO600 would be a pretty solid upgrade, but I did not expect to be making 400 ft/lbs at this point. A T56 or automatic may need to happen instead.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Dunno how I missed the vid. I was scrolling through the thread earlier.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
I'm going to post another one with better turbo whistles in a minute if I can ever figure out how to rotate it.

TurboTPI

Reaction score
Congrats on the tune and the results! I’d be super happy with your setup! I bet it will run with full bolt on LS powered 4th gens! Not too shabby at all!!

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Congrats on the tune and the results! I’d be super happy with your setup! I bet it will run with full bolt on LS powered 4th gens! Not too shabby at all!!
Thanks man! The goal is definitely to surprise people. We'll see though. Even after greatly improving the shifting with the new transmission mount I still really suck at driving stick. 😕

I think a launch controller of some form would help remove some of the human error from a stop, but this Mack garbage truck shifter is certainly not doing me any favors once I get going either. In the end, I'm already on borrowed time with this transmission. I'm not really sure what to do about all that yet as any fix quickly takes me down a slippery slope.

As previously mentioned, I'm not going to worry about any of it for a long time. I'm probably going to just do chassis and comfort modifications until I break something. It would be cool to jump right into an L67 replacement or something like that, but this chassis needs a lot of help. The engine and trans currently don't. lol

Then again, I could always just prepare this engine for the next recipient while still upgrading things... The next car that would receive this engine would be a quiet highway cruiser built for every day use. I'm talking about AC, power everything, good radio, and road trip ready, but still having the nuts to get out of it's own way. In other words, I won't be needing enough power to trash an L36, and fuel (93) mileage will be a slight priority as well. For an application like that how do you all feel about 1.9:1 rocker arms, stiffer springs, and no cam to hold me over? Then I can take my sweet assed time building up an L67 bottom end in the back ground. :cool:

Damn it... here we go. It hasn't even been a week and I'm already planning the next phase.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Honestly, just toss some springs on it and enjoy the car. It's reliable, the motor in your car can take that power all day long, IDK about the trans, are those the same as an S10 5 speed?

As for 93, you should ask Brian if he can adjust your tune to run on 93. He's already got your file and your $$$ it wouldn't be hard for him to just back the timing down and adjust the IFR table to run 93. You can just load that file. You would also have to lower the boost pressure or just know you're on 93 and not get on it.

Have you gutted the AC too far to put it back in? AC is a must IMO.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Honestly, just toss some springs on it and enjoy the car. It's reliable, the motor in your car can take that power all day long, IDK about the trans, are those the same as an S10 5 speed?

As for 93, you should ask Brian if he can adjust your tune to run on 93. He's already got your file and your $$$ it wouldn't be hard for him to just back the timing down and adjust the IFR table to run 93. You can just load that file. You would also have to lower the boost pressure or just know you're on 93 and not get on it.

Have you gutted the AC too far to put it back in? AC is a must IMO.
I probably should have been more clear. The Camaro is my "racecar" even though I'll probably never get into racing. I really just wanted to build the most fun Buick powered car I could without spending a ton of money. Removing the AC was one of the first things I did. The condenser was so corroded that It came out like a slinky, and the lines bent like straw. In hindsight, would AC be nice? Yeah, but it's never going back in. The way I routed the exhaust wont allow for stock compressor location. The radiator is upright now, so a condenser won't fit anymore. I removed the center vent duct and plastic welded it shut. One of my favorite modifications on the car was deleting the engine bay side of the HVAC housing so that I could install a firewall plate while still retaining the heater (page 9). That plate makes spark plug changes and valve cover removal a million times easier, and eventually it's going to allow me to run a downpipe with full exhaust. I think I'm just going to get some window tints, crank my windows down, and call it good. lol

What I meant with the whole 93 and quiet cruiser stuff was in regard to a completely different project. I eventually want to ditch the L36 in the Camaro for an L67 and automatic because it would be faster/stronger. However, since the L36 and T5 are still good at the moment, I was thinking about swapping it into another car with different goals. Keep in mind that I have some swap mounts and another turbo kit in my basement grabbing dust!

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
...but that's all a ton of work. That only sounds like fun if you don't think about it. You're right. Valve springs would get me by just fine. Any recommendations? Maybe 90s?

I forgot to address the trans. It's a T5 WC, so it's essentially the same thing that tons of Mustangs, S10s, and 3rd gen Camaros got. They can handle some beating. A good shifter goes a long way, but the trans itself isn't worth building. The biggest issue is that too much torque will actually spread the case apart. The one in the 4th gen V6 cars are a bastard in that they have a Ford style case pattern. I think it could be swapped with a Ford style TKO600 fairly easily, but there are so many measurements to consider, that I'm not sure if I even want to attempt it. The coin it takes to obtain one is way too much for only 600ft/lb capability anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom