Drag to reposition cover

LAME Turbo V6 Camaro

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Thanks for all the support and testimony. I'll give him an email and see what he says. Is it really still an AOL account? lol I thought they were out of business.

Anyway, I'm going to try to look at this situation in a different light. HP Tuners was not a waste. I still have the best scanner I can buy for this stock junk. Plus, I can always sell the good stuff if I find that I won't need it anymore.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
I just sent an email describing the situation and my car. Fingers crossed that he gives me a chance and doesn't brush me off like some of the other guys in the 3800 tuning business.... I THINK I'm a pretty easy guy to deal with! I'm not an expert by any means, but that's why I'm seeking help. lol

GTPpower

Reaction score
So that hot table under pe should control you pe throttle percentage. Maybe the description was throwing me off, or how it's labeled. I fired up an old laptop that is still running hpt 2.24. that table is the only option for changing pe throttle percentage.

I also cross checked it....this version of hpt could open bin files....so I found a bin file, opened in dhp to check or, then opened the same file with hpt, and the tables were the same.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
So that hot table under pe should control you pe throttle percentage. Maybe the description was throwing me off, or how it's labeled. I fired up an old laptop that is still running hpt 2.24. that table is the only option for changing pe throttle percentage.

I also cross checked it....this version of hpt could open bin files....so I found a bin file, opened in dhp to check or, then opened the same file with hpt, and the tables were the same.
Yep. That was the one we changed to be 30 across the board. It was a lot higher before. Is there something I should try?

Dyno Brian replied asking for my phone number. I would rather initiate the call to show him that I'm serious about getting things done, but oh well. I'm in no rush.

GTPpower

Reaction score
Changing that table to 30 didn't affect what throttle percentage you went to pe though, right?

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
I never heard anything back from Brian. I did find his website, so I'll try giving him a call tomorrow. My hopes that anything will get done are pretty low.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
I gave him a ring. He's clearly a busy guy which I respect. I think hes going to call me back whenever he gets done with the car he was in the middle of tuning, but I can already tell that he wants me up there for a dyno session. At this point, I just want the car driveable by any means necessary. The only trouble I have with a dyno tune in Columbus, OH is getting the car there and back. I don't have a truck let alone a trailer. I'm not expecting the car to blow up, but I've had worse luck. Hopefully he can advise on a safe tune for getting me to the shop.

I'm also toying with the idea of going back to normal gas and having it tuned for 93. I want all of my cars to have the ability to drive everywhere all the time. Is this not advisable? I have several E85 pumps in the area, I just don't know how good they are. I'd hate to have the car tuned on a great tank of gas and then have it run like poop forever after that due to my pumps having crap fuel. Is that something he can take into account or would 93 help eliminate that variable? I don't even know what E85 availability is by him. I'd have to fill a bunch of cans to get me there. I might be picking straws, but I'm super nervous.

Edit: the car actually seemed to run pretty well and knock-free before I started screwing with the AFC. Maybe I could just go back to the pre-AFC tune to get me to the shop and put it back once I get there?

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Just drive it like a normal person and it will get there just fine.
As-is? Cool. I just hope the thing doesn't explode on the dyno. lol I think that T5 is going to be hurting! Should I be worried about the wimpy tires spinning on the rollers? I have some 15s with 275mm Nitto radials, but I'd have to grind the calipers down to fit them at the very least. I think the offset is going to be jacked up too.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
This is a stick? Fuck it I would have had a microsquirt on order. Do the gauges get controlled by the box? If so gone.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
This is a stick? Fuck it I would have had a microsquirt on order. Do the gauges get controlled by the box? If so gone.
Yeah it's a stick. I don't know if I can handle MS. I can't even figure out how to stuff. If I were to add the possibility of wiring it wrong, I'd probably lose my mind. I don't know what you're asking in terms of the gauges.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Brian will treat you right. Figure out a way to get there and you will be happy. If the car drives fine without beating on it then it will be fine to drive there.

They do have e85 in that area of the country but I always carried a 5 gal jug with me. If you have half a tank, keep an eye out for e85 and go from there. It might take a little bit longer but you will make it Although I do get your concern. It is a lot easier to go the pump gas route as far as traveling. Keep in mind if you go out west, then 91 is mostly what you get.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Brian will treat you right. Figure out a way to get there and you will be happy. If the car drives fine without beating on it then it will be fine to drive there.

They do have e85 in that area of the country but I always carried a 5 gal jug with me. If you have half a tank, keep an eye out for e85 and go from there. It might take a little bit longer but you will make it Although I do get your concern. It is a lot easier to go the pump gas route as far as traveling. Keep in mind if you go out west, then 91 is mostly what you get.
Good tip. I need to remember that I want to drive this car, but it's also not my road trip/adventure car. I don't ever see driving this car out of the midwest. The furthest would be to Bowling Green, KY for GS Nationals and maybe ZZP for their 3800 dyno day.

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's a stick. I don't know if I can handle MS. I can't even figure out how to stuff. If I were to add the possibility of wiring it wrong, I'd probably lose my mind. I don't know what you're asking in terms of the gauges.
The base tuning is probably more of a headache but the table structure is a lot simpler e.g. Far far less interdependent tables.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Brian called me back, and really tore my tune a new one. He agreed with you all that my current tune would probably get me there just fine, but agreed with me that driving the car all the way to Columbus for a dyno session would be kinda risky despite his very high success rate. He more so worries about something drastic like an oil pump gear or clutch letting go. I think those chances are fairly slim, but my luck really sucks. I don't know if I feel that adventurous, so I'm going to talk to some friends and see if any of them would let me borrow a truck. Brian then threw some subtle shade on the other tuners I worked with and said that he will deduct the price of his base tune from the dyno session if I wanted to go that route for extra insurance. I've already sent him the money. Thanks for recommendation guys. I really hope all of this works out.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Sweet. Hopefully he can get you set up.
Shit, I hope so too. That car better be good from now until it comes home from the dyno, because anything that prevents a good tune after spending that kind of money will for sure be the last straw. Even if it does make it home unscathed, I'm still considering a "For Sale" sign as the next mod. However, I feel like this will really be the last piece I need to start enjoying the car. In that case, I'll fall in love with the project again and burn some rubber.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
It sounds like Brian is already hard at work. He emailed me late last asking a couple simple questions about the car. He wanted to know my fuel pressure with the vacuum disconnected (57 psi). Apparently, we're taking the AFC off for now as well which seems like the best course of action. That was where my problems started showing up across the whole power band. I'm really excited, but nervous at the same time.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Here it is. I haven't had a chance to load it in, but I definitely will after work. He said that I won't be able to see all the changes which I understand. What I'm confused about is how HP can rewrite stuff that it doesn't support or display. Can it? Will it? Either way, I'm just using this until I get to his dyno. I haven't been driving the car nor do I plan to until this madness is figured out. I'm starting to get pretty amped about it though.

Attachments

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
Based on a 30 second search you can add custom definitions in hpt as an add-on. Sounds like he has done so.

I would probably see how it works as this is not his first rodeo.

GTPpower

Reaction score
Some people are able to convert hpt files to bin files, so he might have done that. He also probably has some connections at hpt for special access.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom