OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Try this:

Go to
Engine>Fuel>Power Enrichment>Throttle>Hot

Change every cell there to 30.

It looks to me like it's entering PE way too late, then it can't dissipate the heat quickly enough. Try that and see if that helps.
After cooling down from that little 'sode I had yesterday I went in and changed a bunch of crap over to the GTP specs because I agree that PE was coming in way too late. I noticed the turbo spooling up pretty good with my wideband still stuck on 14.7. I know a lot of it is going to apply more to SC stuff than turbo, but most of it seemed to be a lot better than the NA stuff I had in there. When I went for a drive, the car FELT a lot better. It's hard to describe what my initial complaints were, but it was almost like the power came in stages instead of progressively. I'll have to post the logs after work. Despite all that, the KR didn't get much better.

I don't remember what the chart for hot throttle consists. I think that was the one that I subtracted 10 from all the cells, but I can confirm that in my notes later. PE is probably still coming in a bit too late.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Man, Fbody pcm's suck. They have nothing mapped.
YEAH! It really friggen blows! I have so much hope while watching Goat Rope Garage on YouTube because he's really good at explaining stuff, but when I go into my editor to try and follow along I notice that my ECM has NONE of the stuff he's tweaking. WTF. It was already tough enough not having the ability to go SD, but I can't even fix my PE like an LS. This is a special breed for sure.

GTPpower

Reaction score
Just looking at your scans, it was coming in about 70%, which looks to be causing kr.

Hopefully changing the hot table fixes it since you don't have another choice. If that doesn't work, you might need to find someone local to you to read the pcm with dhp.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
That would suck the big one. Luckily those aren't super expensive. They're just not easy to come by. I'll post what I did after work. I don't think the KR was as bad as before. I only saw like 2 degrees instead of 7. Plus, I really just guessed with the changes I made.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
As I go through older files I think you're right about PE. Most of my previous logs are shorter and I roll into the throttle a lot smoother. I probably had this issue all along but never drove it hard enough to see it.

GTPpower

Reaction score
Yeah I would change them all to 30 and see if that helps. I've used 30 in most of my gtps.

That's not the correct table to do it on, but it's all you have, so hopefully it works.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
I'll keep my fingers crossed. I remember HP tuners' limited support for certain 3800 cars being a big complaint. What kind of tables do you have that I don't? As much as I would like to finish what I started, spending another penny on tuning tools isn't gonna happen unless I managed to find a smokin' deal on DHP like right now. lol I think I'm closer to turning the boost down to 0 and sticking a stock tune back in the car before that happens. I really want to start depending on this car as a temporary daily so that I can list my current daily for sale. I'm very tired of not having a truck that can tow my cars around.

...but before any of that, I'll try the 30s.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
SOB!
1590627103910.png

While cussing about that for a minute, I thought about the change I just made and when the KR was showing up during the cruise. It seemed to start right as PE would be kicking in whether I was beating on it or not. I decided to experiment with TPS delay. I was really hoping to have a ramp rate adjustment, but I don't. Delay was all zeros, so I put some ones (seconds) on the low end of the chart.
1590627018211.png

Uh huh... well that did something. I still have KR but it comes in later and not as intense. When I went to play some more I found that the chart will not let me enter fractions of a second. That sucks. A full second of bad tune is forever if you're pushing it hard enough.

By the way, I know I sound like I'm lecturing. I don't do this because I think I'm smarter than anybody. I'm just thoroughly explaining my thought process in hopes of you all picking it apart and setting me straight! With that said, this PE tab among others looks pitiful compared to all the examples I've seen on YouTube. Do I really need to start hunting for a DHP to supplement my investment in HPT? 🤦‍♂️ SOB!
1590629466217.png

1590629190886.png

Attachments

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
I cant see your scans but I can see your screenshots. I see that you never went WOT you just went partial to late throttle. Why are you doing that?

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
I cant see your scans but I can see your screenshots. I see that you never went WOT you just went partial to late throttle. Why are you doing that?
Oops. Yeah I forgot to attach those so people can look. If I see KR while I'm still in the gas, I let out. If I have KR at part throttle won't I just aggravate it by giving it more? I don't wanna hurt it.

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
Well the idea is you see 5° of KR at a certain point of the airmass/throttle percentage and you go in and take that amount of timing out in that particular area. Then you do it again and see if you have more. That's the fine tuning, the WOT tuning you've been seeking is completely different. If I only had to tune a car for WOT it would take me like 5min. It's the partial throttle stuff that takes time because with a turbo there's so much more load at lower RPM than there is with a useless blower.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Well the idea is you see 5° of KR at a certain point of the airmass/throttle percentage and you go in and take that amount of timing out in that particular area. Then you do it again and see if you have more. That's the fine tuning, the WOT tuning you've been seeking is completely different. If I only had to tune a car for WOT it would take me like 5min. It's the partial throttle stuff that takes time because with a turbo there's so much more load at lower RPM than there is with a useless blower.
Hmmmmm okay. I think I follow you.

When you say "what you've been seeking" do you mean that's what I SHOULD be seeking right now? Because in reality I have no idea as to what I'm seeking. :ROFLMAO:. I really just know that KR is bad, and boost is fun. Everything else is new to me.

Am I chasing my tail by not focusing on WOT first and working on part throttle later?

GTPpower

Reaction score
You should be working on cruise first for driveability reasons, but it won't really make much of a difference in the end.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
I'm gonna do away with this PE delay thing because it's clunky and seems to only be masking a different issue. I'll try pulling some timing out in the center of the chart.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Can you just dump the PE out of it entirely for now? The reason I'm asking is the Megasquirt guide typically says tune fuel at steady state before adding PE and it may be worth considering in your case.

One thing I will ask is there anything that adds fuel as injector pulse width? Bumping the injector size would mean they would add LOTS of fuel if that's the case. I've had that fun with the 'squirt as well and 55s.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Can you just dump the PE out of it entirely for now? The reason I'm asking is the Megasquirt guide typically says tune fuel at steady state before adding PE and it may be worth considering in your case.

One thing I will ask is there anything that adds fuel as injector pulse width? Bumping the injector size would mean they would add LOTS of fuel if that's the case. I've had that fun with the 'squirt as well and 55s.
I don't know. Hopefully somebody else will chime in about that. I really wish that I could put HPT on my work computer so that I could think about this stuff during the day.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score

I took screen shots of all my tabs in HPT because I'm hesitant to answer anybody's questions with confidence. Hopefully it'll help our communication. I don't see anything in here that actually changes the pulse width except for the offset table. From there, everything is airflow based. Is this (first pic) the table you're talking about?
1590764220091.png

Engine - Airflow.png

Engine - Exhaust.png

Engine - Fuel - Cutoff DFCO.png

Engine - Fuel - General.png

Engine - Fuel - OL Base.png

Engine - Fuel - Oxygen Sensors.png

Engine - Fuel - PE.png

Engine - Fuel - Temp Control.png

Engine - Fuel - Transient.png

Engine - Idle.png

Engine - Spark - Advance.png

Engine - Spark - Retard.png

Engine - Torque Management.png

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but has anyone ever advised you about the AE Multiplier and how it affects output? If it's PW based you could be dumping shittons of fuel in if you've never reduced it to compensate. I'm not familiar with this box or altogether well educated on HPT that's just going off my general tuning knowledge and trouble I've had.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but has anyone ever advised you about the AE Multiplier and how it affects output? If it's PW based you could be dumping shittons of fuel in if you've never reduced it to compensate. I'm not familiar with this box or altogether well educated on HPT that's just going off my general tuning knowledge and trouble I've had.
I don't recall anybody saying anything to me. However, just by looking at my pictures I don't think I have the ability to change that. That doesn't mean DHP can help though.

I'm worried about what I'm going to do next, because I really want to drive this car to and from work. The 240 could use some loving, and I no longer trust the Camaro to take me anywhere. lol

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Sadly, I have no clue. The only guy I know who USED to tune 3800s in Indy won't even talk to me about it. Apparently the community didn't treat him well, so he only tunes LS and Coyote stuff now.

SaturdaysGS

Reaction score
Sadly, I have no clue. The only guy I know who USED to tune 3800s in Indy won't even talk to me about it. Apparently the community didn't treat him well, so he only tunes LS and Coyote stuff now.
Maybe reach out to Clint John on the 3800 Facebook pages, he bought my turbo 04, and I gave him a power tuner with it... didn’t know anyone locally would need it. No idea if he still has it or needs it or anything but I believe he does some tuning too. Might be worth a shot.

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
Ha, that's why I stopped tuning local cars. I was doing it for fun but so many trolls in the community I just stopped doing it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom