Drag to reposition cover

LAME Turbo V6 Camaro

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Sweet build! Wish I saw this when I was in the area last week for Power Tour, could have helped a little since I had my DHP with me.

I don't have much else to add that hasn't been mentioned already. Just keep an eye on that wideband when you're getting on it to make sure it's not going lean under boost.

If you have an exhaust leak before or slightly after the O2's that could be causing some weird readings on them causing the weird fuel trims.

+1 on the injectors probably not being scaled properly. Betting it has to do with the non-boost-referenced FPR in the stock rail vs what might be in the tune. You can always scale the MAF too to adjust for that though I guess when it gets tuned.

If you can somehow add the voltage from the analog output of the wideband to the log that'd be helpful.
Some folks use the EGR inputs to log the wideband since it's usually deleted on most turbo cars. No idea if that's possible with what you're logging with though.
Probably not a big deal though if you're not able to make changes to the tune anyway though.
I know! I actually saw your Grand Prix peel out of the raceway, and was really upset that I didn't get to talk to you guys and see everything I wanted to see.

Those are all good ideas. I'm not sure if my exhaust crossover is sealing very well, so I definitely want to check that. It has a v-band on one side and a donut flange with an ugly looking gasket on the other, so it's kind of a pain to get mounted properly even with the flex pipe.

I was thinking about changing the WBO2 wiring to be on the EGR circuit because right now its on the AC pressure switch, and I don't think I can log that. However, I would have to send the PCM out again to have that changed. Sadly I'm going out of town for a few days, so I won't have anything to report back with for a while.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Small update:

Unplugged the logger. You guys were right. No change, although my pesky narrow band eventually displayed a number again. It was consistently 659.

As for the drive, also no noticeable change. The car has been drying out for about a day and a half, so I don't want to blame water anymore. It pops under most situations. It pops the least when I'm just trying to maintain speed, but light loads seem to bee the worst. It clears up a little bit when I give it more, but it doesn't clear up completely when it give it WOT. I bought an adjustable spark tester hoping that might be able to lead me somewhere, but honestly have little to no idea what I would need to do with it. I'm going to hit the books.

The best news is that the car is not smoking anymore! Hopefully that's a good thing anyway. lol

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
I also just remembered this. If I really lay into it like holding wot for more than a second or two, the car will pop extra loud. (maybe a backfire?) Did timing look good in the log?

I still haven't looked for exhaust leaks. I need to get the dang Volvo out of the garage...

bs009

not so well-known member
Reaction score
What's your plug gap? If it's getting into a little boost then it could be blowing out the spark.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Pretty sure I pushed it down to .040". The trouble is that it pops at idle and when I'm not in boost too. It's just heavily aggravated when I give it a load.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Ugggh sounds like it's time to play the coil pack/module game.

GTPpower

Reaction score
I would try to squeeze your plug gap down a little to see if that helps. Try .030" and see if that helps.

Also, if your scanner can read individual cylinder misfires, see if it will tell you if any specific cylinder is the culprit.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Is it weird that I don't have a CEL? My scanner does have some type of misfire display, but I either don't understand how it works or it's not detecting anything.

For some background, I replaced one of the coils when I first started working on the car for the sole reason of it being ugly. It was a grey aftermarket coil, which my understanding is that when it comes to 3800 coils, nothing beats stock. I had an OEM one with the right numbers on it just laying around. Maybe I need to consider replacing the other two? I have OEM spares of those too.

Sadly, this car is sort of on the back burner due to my dailies needing some love. While I'm waiting for more Volvo parts I should be able to check for exhaust leaks and do coil swaps though.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score

Where did my magic goo go? I'm going to clean this up with a brass brush and apply some conductive heat sink grease. It can't hurt. The coils ohmed out to spec, so I'm not too worried about them.

I'm also going to step my plugs back up one heat range from 104. I figured yeah, I have a high static compression. However, I'm only running stock L67 boost levels, i don't have M90 heat problems, I have a big intercooler anyway, and the E85 is the icing on the cake at that point. Come to think of it, the problem started right after I filled up the tank too. Change in alcohol content between fill-ups? I guess we'll see!

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
I cleaned up the ICM bracket and put new grease on it. No change.

I just now put 605s in and gapped them at .035" Still no change. I admit that at this point I have no idea what I'm doing.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Did you put on new coils as well?
I haven't tried that yet. I was hoping there was a more sure way I could diagnose the issue without just throwing parts at it. Then again, I don't really know how in this case.

Do you think I should try running the car and spraying water around the coils? If that's the issue I might see little arcs, right?

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
On another note, shouldn't this be setting a misfire code? My check engine light isn't on yet.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Is it only missing under boost?
Nope. Its fine when you first start it up, but as soon as it warms up a little it stumbles really bad. It even happens at idle after that, but it's definitely aggravated with load.

GTPpower

Reaction score
I would guess you have an ignition problem. Take the icm to an auto parts store and have them test it. Make sure that's good, then I would mess with the coils. With a good scanner, you can see exactly which cylinders are misfiring.

b4black

Reaction score
Some ICM's are grounded through the bracket and others through a wire in the harness. I believe aftermarket ICMs are grounded both ways. I had to add the ground wire to the harness connector and then to the block to get my car to start with a junkyard ICM.

That's another idea. Go to the U-pick-it yard and grab a spare ICM and coils off an L67. Always great for troubleshooting.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I didn't touch the Camaro last night. I was a bit busy cleaning out the Saab so that we can sell it and make more room to work.

I have an ICM of unknown condition that I can swap in. The engine it came off of supposedly ran fine when it was pulled, so it should be alright. I'll make sure it's grounded well too.

GTPpower

Reaction score
Take it to an auto parts store and have them test it. Make sure it's good.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Much to my surprise, there were no exhaust leaks found. I fired the car up, felt up my v-bands and donut gasket, and I couldn't detect any unwanted air movement. For added measure I swapped the O2 sensors from side to side to see if the reading failure would move with it. Nope. The same bank continues not to read.

Bank 1 sensor

Bank 2 sensor

Looks like they're doing about the same thing.

As for the ignition thing, I haven't made any headway there either. I've been trying to look up how to test the ICM, but it doesn't look possible to do with the tools I have unless the part fails completely. GTPpower, which part store do you go to for this ICM check service? I don't think the stores local to me even check alternators anymore. lol

GTPpower

Reaction score
I believe advance, autozone, oriellys, or napa all test icms .

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
I think they're Delphi, but it's been a year since I bought those.

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
I replaced the ICM with my spare. The problem seems to be intermittent. Sometimes it runs smooth. Other times it misfires randomly, and currently it's missing very hard and rythmicaly. It seems rhythmic enough to where I can probably track it down to a cylinder by unplugging injectors. Trying that in just a minute.... Stand by

OP
v6buicks

v6buicks

Reaction score
Just kidding. Unplugging injectors just made it run rougher. Unfortunately, I have too many other more pressing car issues to deal with this crap right now.

By the way... if anybody is ambitious enough to want to finish it, I might just be willing to sell the car for the right price... It sucks because I've put a TON of hours into this thing over the past year, but frankly I'm sick of working on stuff that I can't drive. Shortest build thread ever. Lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom