Lake Michigan Boating....

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
i got a huge cutwater & ranger tug boner yesterday, ranger makes this size boat now with a 300hp yamaha outboard, and it'll run over 40 mph and i want it bad.

run 30 mph at 2 mpg... or putz at 5mph getting 4.5 mpg... all with a 150 gallon fuel tank.

https://www.rangertugs.com/models.aspx?itemid=2634&prodid=13917&pagetitle=Ranger-Tugs-R-27

R-27-2018-email-photos3-vsm-700--N.jpg

R-27-2018-email-photos43-vsm-700--N.jpg

A 33’ ish version of this with a single diesel would be cool as fuck.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
quick google looks like ~600 miles. at 1.5 mpg ISH that's 400 gallons, at 4.50? a gallon? what are marinas on the big pond charging?

that's 1800 in fuel, not taking into account transient slips, food, whatever else.

ohhhh its only 600 miles??? yea not to bad. I would have to think to have it shipped to Chicago would be close to $1k

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I've done that trip several times delivering boats from St Clair for the Chicago to Mackinac race. Its about 600 miles, and takes us about 5 days. We are normally on a tight schedule and do the whole trip Non-stop, except for fuel, then get right under way again.

Depending on the type/size of boat, presumably a power boat, you could do it in 3 days, only running about 10 hours a day. The big limiting factor for a power boat would be bad weather. Running into 5 ft seas for several hours is no fun, and will also slow you down quite a bit. Better to build in a couple extra days for that, and enjoy some of the many small towns with their great harbors along the way.

Lk Huron is known for its very rocky shore. Stay at least 3 miles off shore 30 miles each side of Harbor Beach. You could be running in 50 ft of water that suddenly drops to 25ft. There's boulders down there the size of semi trucks, and quite a few unsuspecting pleasure boats have been destroyed along that shore.

Another thought, we do multi day non stop sailboat trips all the time. But powerboats are a lot different. Most folks find the engine noise & pounding in rough seas uncomfortable for more than 5-6 hours at a time.

Also, the 600 gallons of fuel will cost about $3000. If you're going to burn through that much fuel, I'd rather stretch the trip out to 10 - 14 days, and enjoy your vacation.

Especially with a new boat, keep a close eye on those Temp, Amp & Oil Pressure gauges.

https://www.lakestclair.net/index.php?/topic/294881-driving-a-boat-from-chicago-to-st-clair/#

Nice trip, but is going to take some time. In a 25-26' boat cross the lake somewhere south and then coastal cruise the rest of the way.
With two different choices of boats I am wondering what you plan to do with the boat when you arrive? Trailer it back or sail it back.

You can find most of the information on Lake Michigan and Lake Huron ports by doing a search on the internet. I would purchase a L. Michigan and a L. Huron Ports of Call book which gives you information on every port on the lakes and also details on how to get into them, what is there, where there is fuel, etc.. They are expensive, but worth the investment if you don't have a friend to borrow them from. A chart of the areas is also required if you are not familiar with it. Grays Reef comes to mind.

As far as anchorages do a search here on northern Lake Michigan anchorages and you will find details for Leland north to LesCheneaux.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
im legit genuinely really really interested.

ive tried to get the wife onboard with big pond boating but she doesn't appreciate cold water and she's convinced that's all that's there. sooo i gotta get around that. :rofl:

See my wife doesn't think we would use the boat as much being in the city and being more of a PITA to get to then the chain. I have to change her mind.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Those Ranger Tugs are sweet. I swing hard. Went inside a few at the Milwaukee boat show and they looked to be built very nice and great use of space. Like no inch was wasted inside.

The PQ 320SC looks good also. Nice seating layout. Twins. Full bathroom with pump out toliet. IDK it looks like it would be nice to jump waves with but also nice to pass out back at the harbor after a long day with heat and AC.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
im legit genuinely really really interested.

ive tried to get the wife onboard with big pond boating but she doesn't appreciate cold water and she's convinced that's all that's there. sooo i gotta get around that. :rofl:

meh. May and June it is really only warm enough to sit on a bro island but come august and September its mid to high 70's. Very refreshing to jump in. Playpen was 75 last time I was out.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
meh. May and June it is really only warm enough to sit on a bro island but come august and September its mid to high 70's. Very refreshing to jump in. Playpen was 75 last time I was out.

dude my wife is from cumberland, fucking things a bath tub 75% of the year.

she jumps in the chain when it's 82* and thinks its cold.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info