L67 supercharged vs turbo gas mileage

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
OK, I'm bored, and I want to try something something kinda on a related topic.

I have a '92 Olds Trofeo for my summer daily. It's an L27 with the aluminum upper, same as the one in my truck. It's only getting like 25mpg on the freeway, closer to 19 on my daily drive (my Camaro pre-top swap was getting 34 on the freeway and 26 daily). The Trofeo has an very early version of the class 2 data bus that runs everything - the trip computer, the HVAC, the gauge cluster, etc... Everything. So deleting the PCM for a series 2 or OBD 2 is not currently an option as it cripples the car.

I've got a T3 from a Saab sitting here. I want to run it at like 0.5lbs of boost. I can hack off the thingy for the internal wastegate and use a small spring on a threaded rod to adjust the opening point of the internal wastegate? The idea is that it's primary function is for fuel economy - power increase is inevitable I'm sure, but keeping the boosty out of boost means you won't be tempted to go boosting around. Tuning is going to be impossible, can't swap to the newer 3800 pcm because deleting the existing PCM makes everything in the car not work. It doesn't use a MAP sensor that I'm aware of, it only has a MAS. So it's not like the computer is going to be aware of boost pressure to begin with. If that's the case, aside from timing, the only thing limiting how much boost it can take is the upper limit of the MAS? I would most likely run it hot, no intercooler.

Or has anybody ever piggybacked PCMs, and is it just splicing all the sensor wires to both PCMs at the same time, or is it more involved?

Hang on just a second... I just found out that the 92 Trofeo has the same PCM as the 93 SSEi (Rockauto part numbers FTMFW). Fuck yeah, nevermind all that shit. This means I can take the PROM from my series 1 L67 and pop it in and L67 swap this bitch, right? The 93 PCM should just drop right in and use the same data bus and form, right? One would think that has to be the case, if the rockauto part numbers are correctly listed.

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
The 93 ssei pcm will be able to handle boost fine assuming you put the MAF in front of the turbo and use a recirculating valve instead of a blow off valve. Hell you might get away with it just fine with the L27 PCM just like that assuming you're not running much boost.
There's going to be huge differences in fuel ratios and timing for the s1 L67 vs the NA L27 PCMs though.

Ideally you'd find one of those old school prom burning rigs and make your own tune for it, or just OBD2 swap it so I can tune it for you with DHP.

Sounds like a lot of work though to not go all in and do a more serious build.

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
Can't OBD 2 swap it, everything inside the car turns into a potato if you do. Also, it's 2020, so cluck PROM burning, I've followed enough of those threads to know it's a shit show to get something that works unless you have the tools to DIY it.

I'm like 90% certain that if all it takes is to swap out the PROM then all I'm going to do is straight up S1 L67 swap the slow ass bitch and never look back. the other 10% is in it for a low-pressure turbo setup that won't require any tuning, and never look back....

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
One thing I'll add to this from my experience is that if you want to make more than tame power, the blower setup needs the engine to breath to work. Blower cams ruin city fuel economy. I get in the mid to upper 20's (if I make a correction factor from e85 to gas) on highway driving. Fuel economy is pretty awful in the stop and go stuff though and the cam dumping unburned fuel right out the exhaust at idle has a lot to do with that I think. I could probably spend some time trying to really optimize a spot on the tables for hyper-miling on the highway at 70mph and get high 20's but I don't believe there's any hope in fixing the city driving mpg.
A turbo doesn't really have that issue so much since you can easily make 400hp with a stock cam

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info