Kook's headers question

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
In a previous thread I asked about various header options due to the small market that addresses the SN95. End result, Kooks is going to make me a set.

The only reason I ask the following question is due to this being a budget build. So, have mercy....

Per these Kooks headers, should I spend the extra approx. $300 on stainless steel tubing or go with the regular steel tubbing and rattle can it with the Dupont Jet Coat black paint? Why are the stainless worth the $300 more in cost?

Thanks

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
In a previous thread I asked about various header options due to the small market that addresses the SN95. End result, Kooks is going to make me a set.

The only reason I ask the following question is due to this being a budget build. So, have mercy....

Per these Kooks headers, should I spend the extra approx. $300 on stainless steel tubing or go with the regular steel tubbing and rattle can it with the Dupont Jet Coat black paint? Why are the stainless worth the $300 more in cost?

Thanks

$300 more because stainless steal is really expensive metal.

How much are you paying for kooks $500-600?? maybe more? Why not just add the $300 and have a good set of headers.

If u had like MAC or bbk, id say paint them yourself only because those are cheapo headers.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Stainless is expensive at the moment. So there is where the extra cost comes in.

If your spending the money on a header like that why not and get the best one you can so they will last. A stainless set of headers will be the last set of headers you buy. And when using the 2400 degree paint learn how to prep the headers before painting them. If done right that paint works very well and will last for some time.

If you go with mild steel get them ceramic coated inside and out. That will help preserve your investment in those headers.

ANIMAL

Did I ever tell you.....
Sep 2, 2006
Using Stainless Steel is a question of longevity...not performance.

If your building a sanctioned racer on a budget...then there is no need for the S/S, period. I highly doubt your going to be racing that combo 20 years down the road.

So, the only question left is....to paint them or ceramic coat them.

Painting helps with some corrosion resistance, but doesn't really help with underhood heat or exaust velocity, and it flakes off very easily....specially over time.

Ceramic Coating is not paint! It last a hell of a lot longer, looks way better, and if you coat on the inside & out...it will help keep the heat in the exhaust system and not let it escape under the hood, which will help increase the velocity of the exhaust gas.....hence the possible performance gains and decreased underhood temps.

Since your restricted to 1 5/8" and trying to control cost.....I would definitly buy the BBK ceramics at a fraction of custom header costs, and just call it a day.

Sorry, this is a bit of a spill over from your previous thread.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Using Stainless Steel is a question of longevity...not performance.

If your building a sanctioned racer on a budget...then there is no need for the S/S, period. I highly doubt your going to be racing that combo 20 years down the road.

So, the only question left is....to paint them or ceramic coat them.

Painting helps with some corrosion resistance, but doesn't really help with underhood heat or exaust velocity, and it flakes off very easily....specially over time.

Ceramic Coating is not paint! It last a hell of a lot longer, looks way better, and if you coat on the inside & out...it will help keep the heat in the exhaust system and not let it escape under the hood, which will help increase the velocity of the exhaust gas.....hence the possible performance gains and decreased underhood temps.

Since your restricted to 1 5/8" and trying to control cost.....I would definitly buy the BBK ceramics at a fraction of custom header costs, and just call it a day.

Sorry, this is a bit of a spill over from your previous thread.

+1 Agreed 100%

Also most people will not prep the headers correctly before painting them. So the paint will not adhere well. Over time it will flake off and corrosion of the header will start over time. Don't get me wrong. The high temp paint will not bake off easily if prepped and applied right. But Prep is what most people have issues with.

So anyways, Buy the BBK ceramic coated headers and be done with it. Use the extra cash some where else on the car. Or some where else all together.

Good luck. :biggthump

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info