Knife sharpening

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at buying a cheap ($20ish) 1000/3000 grit whetstone to keep my fillet knives sharp.

What are you guys using or do you recommend?

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
I bought a cheap one off of amazon and have been using that. I think technique is more important than the stone in the long run. I am terrible at sharpening and need to do it more.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven’t tried my hand at stone sharpening. I use a Lansky controlled angle kit for my pocket knives, but not sure how well it works for filet knives that are probably sharpened at a much smaller angle.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lansky for sure. Way more consistent edge and faster results than with a stone set. I don't even use my stones anymore.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Might have to try that knife sharpener. My kitchen knife has become dull as hell and I am afraid to take a stone to it.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
Not even sure what stone I am using, my dad gave it to me as he had dozens of them. I'm sure the one I am using is older than I am.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
It's a really nice knife I got for Christmas that I just dont have to fuck it up. That lanksey looks better for what I need

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
Don't be afraid of stones. They do work.
I have a 1000 & 6000 grit stone. It works great. But I feel my blade angles are all over the place. I seem to end up using the Lansky kit and then the 6000 to finish it.

I am sure if you are able to get good where you know your blade angles that the store is great. I watch YT videos where chefs sharpen their knives and get better results that I have ever had been close to. haha

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Strops are great for periodic blade edge polishing.

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014UAVV5S/?tag=tcg2007-20

These are all I will ever use for fish filet knives and even kitchen knives. I have a decent electric sharpener that does a good job, but it takes a little bit of time to use. A Canadian fishing guide put me on these handle sharpeners and I haven't looked back. You put a good bit of pressure on the blade and just rip it down the blade 2-3 times. The knife is extremely sharp after that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom