TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
And this
d1b7bef800937190057f0e5b7f50856b.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I think they mentioned the constant smoking of weed was more of him using it to deal with stress, his sexuality, events in his life, and things of that nature. That he was troubled and using it to cope. Even though studies have shown weed can cause paranoia in some people. It very well could have been a contributing factor.

I think the CTE was downplayed some. At one point one of the pro players in the documentary makes a comment that there are thousands of ex-players, many took hard hits over and over in their career, and that it wasn't common for them to be violent and so on. Which he isn't necessarily wrong.

I think Hernandez was a mix of several factors that lead him to his choices in life. The amount of damage from CTE he had for being so young had to play a roll in his thinking and actions. But he put himself in an environment that leads him down a path that was probably not going to end well for him. It seems his father kept him in check. Even if in was unhealthy mentally, if Aaron's father was around it see Aaron starting to act the way he did his father would have helped keep him in line. Or at least see a change in him to possibly lead him to get help. It seems people observed changes in Aaron along the way. But seems Aaron was left to his own devices growing up.

It is sad that no one was there for Aaron. As loyal as his GF was, they make it seem like she didn't notice these changes or tried to get him help. Influences in our lives are huge. As is the lack of help with mental health issues. This guy was talented. But the life he lived, the CTE, and other factors meant that if his life didn't unfold this way, it would unfold another way that would probably have disastrous results.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
THAT being said, the NFL and the fact that CTE is a problem in the sport was finally acknowledged by the NFL in like 2016. I know many people complain that the rule changes in the last several years have made the sport less exciting. I applaud the NFL for trying to do something. But is it enough? Probably not even close.

When I read that 6 of 26 High School brains inspected had CTE I was surprised. That is just under 25% of the brains inspected. Then I thought about how parents start their kids in the sport when young. Factor in that some of these kids are vastly different in their stages of development. So these stars in HS are the ones who play in college and then pro. These guys take hits for years. Then take into account the drugs they are given to continue playing when hurt. And that programs in HS don't offer the medical help or services that some of these young players obviously need.

Now, look at other contact sports like boxing, wrestling, rugby, and so on. The number of people at risk is probably a pretty large number worldwide. How do you make these sports safer? How do you make an athlete admit that his health is more important than fame, money, and all that can come with a professional career? Or heck, even just the thrill of playing in HS. How do you make it affordable to have athletes be tested and observed to find issues before damage is "acceptable" to someone?

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Kinda thinking about this again, and I think they really downplayed the role of CTE and went really overboard into saying he was gay and liked to smoke weed. I wonder if the NFL provided some sort of financial motivation for how the story was told.

You took this away from the Netflix documentary? If anything the series downplayed the gay aspect and highlighted CTE. Him being gay was mentioned at parts in the story, but capped of the series in the last episode noting what poor condition his brain was in. They even discounted the motive of him killing Oden for the fact that he was going to out Aaron on his sexuality saying it was a rumor.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
THAT being said, the NFL and the fact that CTE is a problem in the sport was finally acknowledged by the NFL in like 2016. I know many people complain that the rule changes in the last several years have made the sport less exciting. I applaud the NFL for trying to do something. But is it enough? Probably not even close.

When I read that 6 of 26 High School brains inspected had CTE I was surprised. That is just under 25% of the brains inspected. Then I thought about how parents start their kids in the sport when young. Factor in that some of these kids are vastly different in their stages of development. So these stars in HS are the ones who play in college and then pro. These guys take hits for years. Then take into account the drugs they are given to continue playing when hurt. And that programs in HS don't offer the medical help or services that some of these young players obviously need.

Now, look at other contact sports like boxing, wrestling, rugby, and so on. The number of people at risk is probably a pretty large number worldwide. How do you make these sports safer? How do you make an athlete admit that his health is more important than fame, money, and all that can come with a professional career? Or heck, even just the thrill of playing in HS. How do you make it affordable to have athletes be tested and observed to find issues before damage is "acceptable" to someone?

I think the problem with CTE is it can only be diagnosed after death. So, you'll never know the true numbers until after death and IF they donate their brain.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
You took this away from the Netflix documentary? If anything the series downplayed the gay aspect and highlighted CTE. Him being gay was mentioned at parts in the story, but capped of the series in the last episode noting what poor condition his brain was in. They even discounted the motive of him killing Oden for the fact that he was going to out Aaron on his sexuality saying it was a rumor.

There were 3 episodes. They started in on him being gay within the first 10 minutes of the 1st episode and then brought it up every 10 minutes every episode. They brought up CTE at the tail end of the last episode. It was *absolutely* understated.

They even brought in another ex-NFL player to say that "No chance in hell CTE had anything to do with it." Not a single person to say "There are a ton of closeted gay people in professional sports, and they don't kill anyone."

Reactions: Chet Donnelly

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
There were 3 episodes. They started in on him being gay within the first 10 minutes of the 1st episode and then brought it up every 10 minutes every episode. They brought up CTE at the tail end of the last episode. It was *absolutely* understated.

They even brought in another ex-NFL player to say that "No chance in hell CTE had anything to do with it." Not a single person to say "There are a ton of closeted gay people in professional sports, and they don't kill anyone."

Certainly it was brought up as it was a huge factor in what was plaguing him. No single circumstance in this case caused him to kill multiple people.

Aaron Hernandez was fucked up because he had a fucked up life. Being molested as a child, his father passing, his mom hooking up with his dying cousin's husband, inflated ego and lack of consequence for his actions growing up because he was an exceptional athlete, crazy amount of drug use, hanging out with the wrong people, being gay in a profession/life where it is not widely accepted or shown, CTE, crazy amounts of money.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Yeah, I think lack of consequence goes a long way towards explaining how someone can believe they can get away with murder. The other items you mention all contribute to his mindset but the lack of consequence is the difference between a professional athlete (or other privileged person with nobody telling them they can't do things) and a regular person.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
He had serious issues obviously.

Aaron was a stud football player and it seems a cold blooded killer too. What happened in Florida before the NFL?
Looks quite plausible he might had shot into a car there too. That was down played by the local enforcement.

I already posted this,
Its a sad story.

?

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
One part that I thought was fishy;

- Hernandez kills himself
- Being in appeals, his conviction dismissed due to abatement law
- NE Patriots may then have to pay portions / all of Hernandez contract to his estate
- State of Mass is influenced to dissolve abatement law
- Hernandez conviction overturned (finding him guilty again instead of being grandfathered in)
- NE Patriots walk away from any financial responsibilities

Reactions: Aircal and DEEZUZ
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info