Kill Switch For My Car Horn? (I'm bored, just humor me)

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Let me preface all this by saying electrical/wiring stuff is not my area of expertise. At all. My situation is this. I work on an AF base, and these new F35s will rattle the fillings out of your head when they take off full bore. This understandably upsets the alarm system on my ST whenever a foursome of these things take to the skies. Which is often. So I had a thought today. Is there a way to wire a switch inline w/ the horn somehow and mount inside the car so that when I can get to work I can flip it, and basically "pull the fuse" on the horn so that every time the jets blast the sound of freedom my car wont blast the sound of annoyance? I've already had it to the dealer a couple times to turn the sensitivity down, but theres no level of sensitivity that wont get rattled by those jets.

And no, I'd rather not leave my car unlocked all day. There's more than just G.I.'s wandering around on a military base, and I don't trust anybody on base any more than I trust anyone off it.

Am I overthinking it? Is there a better solution? WWTCGD?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
There should be a way like all cars to disable the horn whilst the alarm is going nuts. My GP had that option and that was back in 2002.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
There should be a way like all cars to disable the horn whilst the alarm is going nuts. My GP had that option and that was back in 2002.
I'm assuming he wants it to work when not on base though. That sounds like a pain to reprogram all the time.

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
Ahhh so. Well in that case, wire in a switch. Personally, the horn doesn't do shit anyways. Nobody cares. :rofl:

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I had a friend who's type r was stolen and his alarm sounded like wwIII and would go off if you were too close for it for too long. Was dumped as a shell on donuts the next day about a block away

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming he wants it to work when not on base though. That sounds like a pain to reprogram all the time.
This. I sorta dont really GAF about the horn going off all the time cuz I usually never hear it anyways :rofl: But if theres a simple solution to this other than just physically pulling the horn fuse, I'm open to ideas.

10sec

Donating Member
Reaction score
Like i said, there's different alarm settings, one should the flashing lights WITHOUT the horn sounding. No fuse pulled.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
This. I sorta dont really GAF about the horn going off all the time cuz I usually never hear it anyways :rofl: But if theres a simple solution to this other than just physically pulling the horn fuse, I'm open to ideas.
You install a switch inline on the power wire to the horn, a simple on off switch, I would splice the wire right at the horn it will be easier to find, you can extend the wires into the cabin area if you want the length shouldn't affect anything

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
That may be my best option, as i dont believe i have any options with the alarm to choose how i want it to respond. Is there a way to wire it directly from the fuse in a non ghetto fashion?

LikeABauce302

5.0 ftw
Reaction score
You will want a switch that can handle the current draw from the horn. Horns tend to spike current and have a decent draw when they are on. If your switch doesn't have a high enough current rating, it will burn up.

You can put a relay in line with the horn and wire any toggle switch of your choice to trip the relay.

HILROD

Reaction score
Or hook the relay to IGN on so it works with the key on only.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
But he only doesn't want ot to work when he is at work.....

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Reaction score
What kind of car? Some cars can still be Locked without arming the factory alarm. ( lost manually locket he doors) beyond that you could check alarm settings like previously stated to see if the horn can be turned off with alarm

A relay on the horn trigger wire could work

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
This is on my Focus ST. It's the "factory" alarm, but its kind of a more advanced one as it has shock sensors on the windows and such. Hell ive set it off before just letting my windshield wiper drop back down onto the windshield :rofl: I'll have to go back and look at my manuals, but I really don't believe theres any settings I can adjust anywhere w/ this alarm, or any alternate ways I can arm it

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
For what its worth, I found the control module for the alarm hanging out (literally, held in place just stuck within other wires) underneath the glove box.

lots of nice cut wires on there :rofl: , extra features i assume that arent compatible, or that ford doesnt want to make compatible w/ the factory system. All I know is that its from a company called Pursuit Remote Security Systems. I couldn't see anything on there that would indicate any kind of a model number. I did see a little adjustable dial on the side of it tho, and I wonder if thats the sensitivity adjustment that ive taken it to the dealer to have "trained ford technicians" adjust for me :rollpicard:

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
Reaction score
There is no freaking way that is factory.... It sure looks aftermarket as fuck and if it was factory it should say FoMoCo all over the box. Did the dealer get you for some bull shit anti theft device when you bought the car? Honda tried to do that to me.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Thats kinda why I said "factory alarm". But it is a dealer installed unit that integrates with the stock system. And there is no lock the doors but dont set the alarm. When you lock the doors the system is armed. I wish it were that simple. But like i said. Doesnt annoy me when Im at work cuz i usually barely hear it every time it goes off. Don't know if i can say the same for other people near it tho :rofl:

IDAFC21

WOW.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Thats obviously the easiest option :rofl: I just wanted to see what the TCG minds could come up with. And I got about what I expected :s00ls:

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yup, if it bugs someone enough they will come get you. otherwise, fuck em

HILROD

Reaction score
There should be an output from that box to the horn. Just switch that wire.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom