šŸ„ Health Keto - Who is doing it? Who has comments or questions?

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I'm blown away by what I am seeing so far and wonder why most doctors don't really push lower carbs for type 1 diabetics. I am going to have a long conversation with my endocrinologist about this topic.
Because MDā€™s donā€™t know anything about nutrition, and most only care about managing symptoms via medication. Very rarely do they even bring up a lifestyle change that could benefit the patient. Drives me nuts.

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Because MDā€™s donā€™t know anything about nutrition, and most only care about managing symptoms via medication. Very rarely do they even bring up a lifestyle change that could benefit the patient. Drives me nuts.
giphy.gif

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solutions is recommended reading for any new diabetics or diabetics who want to improve their lives. It was published in 1997 and the medical community still has not embraced the low carb method of diabetes management. With all the money the medical profession makes from diabetics, couldn't they give each new patient a copy? Could have changed many lives.

Reactions: blue-sun

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
If I was an endocrinologist, I'd show the stats with diabetics dying a decade or two earlier and then show what they can do to prevent that. Maybe people would care about adding 10 to 20 years to their lives? Maybe it takes a while of being a diabetic to understand how good the low carb diet numbers are but some people would listen if they really pushed the idea. For 45 years, I have heard little to nothing about using a low carb diet to improve my numbers. The talk is always "This is the new drug or device".

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Researching more, I am discovering that a low carb diet may be the single best thing a type 1 OR type 2 diabetic can do. It's almost a crime that so few doctors seem to be familiar with this idea. Diabetics in studies take less insulin and other diabetes drugs once they get on a low carb diet. Some type 2 diabetics have their diabetes practically cured. IMO, this should be the number 1 treatment doctors follow for diabetes. Keto diets reduce weight in normal people but do so much more for diabetics.

Another good video for anyone who wants more info.

Reactions: radioguy6

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i'm counting calories and protein (targeting 2800 200 daily) and have ended up with a bunch of thai keto sauces for my chicken and shirataki noodles (preferred shiritaki with oat) - i can get 200g of shiritaki noodles for about a buck. i think it's over $4 at least on amazon in the US? asian location benefit for me.

zR3mfio.jpg

today i got a haul of snackies to try with my nightly work coffees. unfortunately the labels seem incorrect in their counts of things, hoping at least the calories are accurate, some of the other values don't add up. don't feel great about the amount of packaging used here. will likely re-up once favorite snackies are identified.

4e0mdjS.jpeg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
^Cool we loved Thailand, went to Phuket a couple of years ago.

I did okay on lazy Keto, I played the long game and did not get hardcore about counting carbs. I used half and half for coffee, zero carbs.

I've heard if you rinse the shirataki noodles they are good, got a review?

cool, if you go southeast you hit phi phi then my small island (lanta) - i believe phuket was the most touristed place in the world. how dramatically down these places are now is pretty wild.

my coffee journey has gone from mochas to americanos or black coffee, although particularly with the latter i frequently like it with a snacky, thus these keto boys. brownie yesterday was good (just dry) - i'm a lazy shit but homemade protein cookies seem a good thing to make.

i'm not so lazy i won't boil water though (usually) and my shiritaki prep is:
1- start boiling water in a pot
2 - rinse noodles 2 minutes
3 - chuck into pot for 2 minutes
4 - toss dry then chuck into a non-stick pan, with nothing else
5 - keep tossing them around until they make squealy noise (2 min?)

i have shiritaki as noodle and rice, and then some that are mixed with oat fiber. i prefer the latter, they have some better chew.

they come in a bag of lime water (the mineral) and they definitely have a funky smell to them. the prep is all to get them to neutral. have a tried anything not going through the process above, no.

rice form (oat ones are fatter rice) makes straining them a little more of a pain without losing them. no oat they are squishier and even more tasteless so i think they might go well with a soup or something. i like the idea of the shiritaki rice with a thai curry, although i am not currently eating much thai (lots of oil and sugar actually) so i haven't tried a side of these with a curry vs. steamed rice yet. i mostly do the oat form with noodles, then toss on some chicken i nuked from 7/11 w/spicy thai sauce. i'm curious how the noodles would be with some meatballs and tomoato sauce, but i don't have any easy access to lazy meatballs and i'm probably not going to make them. you aren't going to say dayumn, these are the best noodles ever, and you will never have a craving for them. that being said, 200g of the oat version (decent amount) is 50 cal, 2 protein, 10 carb. for shiritaki, 30/0/6, at least of my labeled brands. they are filling and fit a low calorie budget. i'll have some 4+ days a week now. note: they have no real micronutrients and there appears to be some concern about if they will absorb them or reduce bioavailability of them with other foods? i just have them with the chicken and typically eat other filler type foods when i am doing them (like late at night when i'm working) - the only thing i really make a point of is not having my multivitamin with them.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
My taste buds seem to have opened up since I went on Keto. I find foods that I thought were blah to be very tasty now. Way more nuances in the flavors.

I had plateau'ed at 214.8 for a few days so I cut down the fat a bit. Now down another pound. 213.0. Amy says she can see my stomach is shrinking.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info