šŸ„ Health Keto - Who is doing it? Who has comments or questions?

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I canā€™t get on board with it, and I know guys on here have had success. But you canā€™t do it the rest of your life. Once you go back to a normal carb intake, Iā€™m guessing the weight comes back with it. Imo, I donā€™t think itā€™s all that healthy either. I know there are articles that say it is healthy, but I can dig up articles that say it isnā€™t. Im a fan of IF, eating better and portion control.

Most people slowly reintroduce carbs back in to their diet until they find a balance. The problem is if you go from keto back to eating shitty like most people do, then yeah it's a lost cause. (which is what I do every time)

Reactions: Shawn1112

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
As Connie alluded to, a lifestyle change will do the exact same thing keto does. The only difference is whether you stick with it long term or not.

I was eating around 1200-1600cal a day high fat, high protein, and very little (if any, actually) carbs while running ~5 miles a day and lifting HARD every day. Lost about 40 lbs in 3 months. Gained about 20 of it back but that's because I got lazy, stopped working out, and it's a hard diet to maintain if you can at all.

You're better off just learning to be uncomfortable and lift/run every day and maintain a not-fat-ass diet. Meaning, 100g of carbs instead of carbs at every meal and sugary drinks and processed food and on and on to the tune of 200-300g of carbs.

Reactions: Shawn1112

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Keto is the only diet I was ever able to stick to long enough in order to see good results. I've lost 40-50 pounds in ~8-12 weeks' time, but I end up going back to eating garbage and slowly put it back on. Not the fault of the diet, it's the fault of working downtown and having poor self-control when someone suggest going to Boxcar Betty or UB Dogs.

I don't think it's magic. It's just much easier to eat less on Keto, because the increased fat and protein keeps you satiated for longer. Plus I just prefer the options available for meals. It's great to eat a ribeye and grilled asparagus tossed in butter or olive oil, and then wake up the next day another 1-2 lbs. down.

At the end of the day, Keto just forces you to eat less calories and to cut out a lot of the refined sugars and over-processed garbage.

Reactions: radioguy6

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I'm on week 2 or 3 of being back on Keto, have only cheated on one or 2 meals (rice and black beans with Fajitas both times) and in that time, I'm down maybe 5-6 pounds of the 10 or so that I gained when I stopped doing keto. Wife is on it now and she's down 12 pounds, so it's working for us.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Keto is the only diet I was ever able to stick to long enough in order to see good results. I've lost 40-50 pounds in ~8-12 weeks' time, but I end up going back to eating garbage and slowly put it back on. Not the fault of the diet, it's the fault of working downtown and having poor self-control when someone suggest going to Boxcar Betty or UB Dogs.
I wouldn't blame your self control, I'd blame the fact that you were on an incredibly unsustainable diet, which ALWAYS leads to people bouncing back and gaining the weight back fast due to their metabolism being wrecked (a result of the unsustainable diet). Why do you think every single contestant on the biggest loser gains all the weight back?

That much weight loss that fast is wayyyy too severe of a calorie deficit.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
If your maintenance calories are 3,000/day and you eat 3,500 a day for 4 months and get fat, the answer isn't to drastically drop to 2k cals/day. That's way too severe.

You drop it to 3,200 for a couple weeks, then 3,000, then 2,800, so on and so forth. Keto, no keto, doesn't matter. The rate of fat loss will be the same whether you're conventional or keto.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
wife and I have been on and off it a few times of the years, initial weight seems to come off quickly and then We plateau which isnā€™t bad but the next few lbs takes time to come off.

we have always tried to eat a heathy diet and passing that along to our kids. issue for me is that Iā€™m a snacker which is hard on keto.

what types of snacks is everyone having when you have that craving for Chips, sweets, cookies etc, can only eat so many packaged fat bombs.

Any recipes or snack suggestions?
Beef sticks and cheese I think for me have been the safest.

I been off Keto for a while, but want to get back on. I mainly did lazy/dirty keto.

Reactions: frank

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Bacon, string cheese, apples and celery with "organic" peanut butter were my saviors. If I needed carbs (very often :rofl:), Ritz with tuna mixed with mayo and relish. I also had a bag of peanut M&Ms for when the cravings got BAD. Just gotta control yourself.

Fuck. Time to start this up again.

EDIT: for the record, I didn't do full blown keto, more like "not eating like a fat piece of shit and a fraction of the carbs."

Reactions: frank

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
pork rinds and moon cheese are my favorite "keto" snack. Cheese whisps are great for dips, asiago cheese is my favorite but hard to find. Beef jerky, beef sticks, just keep an eye on the sugar snuck in those.

I like to make a trailmix with these and pecans and almonds.
1620768248241.png

Reactions: frank and blue-sun

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
As far as Keto dinners go, I have been very impressed with the flavors of some of them. I'd eat these stuffed peppers even if I wasn't on a diet. It's really good.

dJHBh8r.jpg

I added no sugar added marinara and cheese to the top. I added some Lawry's seasoning salt for more flavor.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Reactions: blue-sun

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Today's food.

2 eggs, 1 baby portobello mushroom, 1/2 avocado as an omelet fried in butter, 4 slices bacon (brunch)
Bowl of Keto cream of turkey soup with veggies, turkey, turkey broth, cream and a salad with romaine lettuce, 1 baby portobello mushroom, a celery stalk and a slice of real cheddar cheese with 2 tablespoons of no sugar added, full fat dressing (dinner)

I figure around 1,000-1,100 calories using online calorie charts.

Normally, this would be too low but I'm not hungry and I feel fine. The internet gurus are split between this being too low and the amount being fine as long as I feel OK. I really don't feel the need to eat more. ?ā€ā™‚ļø

I'm starting to be a bit concerned that when I hit my target weight, I will have a hard time boosting the calories back up while on Keto.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
seems like too much effort and potential negatives to me for really what i am unclear on is truly a reward in an otherwise normal healthy body. in your (flyn) case (diabetes) i would wonder if it would help, although some initial googling makes me skeptical of that.

After a couple weeks on the diet, I have lost 6 lbs. and an inch from my stomach. So far, so good.

there are a zillion ways to lose 6 lbs (ideally of 100% fat) and if trying to change your body fat percentage, i would focus on resistance training if you are not doing so now, lifestyle choices to insert more activity in your life (park far from the store in the parking lot, walk or bike there instead of drive), some minimal cardio for heart/lung health, and additional cardio to your choice to accommodate a target deficit to lose weight or target amount to maintain weight and give yourself flexibility with food.

at the moment i'm popping in triple cheeseburgers 5 days a week for dinner, although my side is some microwaved cup of corn, and 6 days a week i either lift some weights or do some muay thai, so i can eat a bunch of crap and not get fat or even lose weight still [regardless of any particular diet approach] - i do count calories and protein and have a decent idea of what is going in/out on a weekly or daily basis.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
One of the biggest advantages I have seen so far, as mentioned, is my blood sugar numbers are the best I have ever seen them. I am going through day after day of the numbers being "in range" 100% of the time. Can't wait for my next endocrinologist appt. since she is going to be surprised to say the least. The diet is worth it just for the glucose numbers. Losing weight is an additional plus. Down 9 lbs. now. Also, consuming so many vegetables has to be a good thing for vitamins and minerals. Only questionable part for long term would be the fat consumption.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Today's food.

2 eggs, 1 baby portobello mushroom, 1/2 avocado as an omelet fried in butter, 4 slices bacon (brunch)
Bowl of Keto cream of turkey soup with veggies, turkey, turkey broth, cream and a salad with romaine lettuce, 1 baby portobello mushroom, a celery stalk and a slice of real cheddar cheese with 2 tablespoons of no sugar added, full fat dressing (dinner)

Normally, this would be too low but I'm not hungry and I feel fine. The internet gurus are split between this being too low and the amount being fine as long as I feel OK. I really don't feel the need to eat more. ?ā€ā™‚ļø

I'm starting to be a bit concerned that when I hit my target weight, I will have a hard time boosting the calories back up while on Keto.
That's your entire day? If the calories are accurate (i'd do a double check) that is way way way too low. You'd burn more than that even if you just laid around bed all day like a vegetable

Reactions: bimmer4life

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Today's food.

Sounds like starvation. And yep I did Keto for 6 months. And frankly i never worried about caloric intake once on it and still lost weight. Thought that was the whole point :ROFLMAO:. If I want to count calories and loose weight by caloric deficit might as well do that to. I agree on the heath benefits. Yearly labs looked amazing especially my triglycerides.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Sounds like starvation. And yep I did Keto for 6 months. And frankly i never worried about caloric intake once on it and still lost weight. Thought that was the whole point :ROFLMAO:. If I want to count calories and loose weight by caloric deficit might as well do that to. I agree on the heath benefits. Yearly labs looked amazing especially my triglycerides.
If you lost fat, you did it "by calorie deficit". That's literally the only way to lose body fat.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I would keep an eye on protein intake than calories. Yes you lose weight by a calorie deficit, but the benefit to eating alot of good healthy fats is getting full quicker. Eating a full fat meal is very filling, I can be satiated for much longer than eating a traditional carb diet where I'm starving again in a few hours. In a full ketosis I could go 24+ hours without eating if I wanted to. You are fat adapting your body, the entire goal is forcing your metabolism to use ketones (body fat) for energy 24/7.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info