šŸ„ Health Keto - Who is doing it? Who has comments or questions?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
The Atkins car is 16G protein/3G carbs/2G sugar so I think it's okay to replace a meal. Sometimes I get chipotle for lunch as well, though I find if I can do the bar 3-4 times a week it helps with weight loss.

I have a ways to go, I have to lose 20 lbs to get to where I was in that picture (215).

Tonight for dinner, making porkchops will get some salt/pepper/lemon, broiled, and some carrots which I will probably dice up and sautee with a honey / soy glaze.

Just to put it in perspective, before the holidays I ate whatever, drank whatever, and I balloon up pretty bad.

bars like that are not [actual] meal replacements (nutritionally poor), just supplements. you might actually be better off with a non-atkins one, given you are not keto, and lifting weights, so if something offered more protein for the same or less calories it would probably work out better. some mexican protein bars i just bought today are 249 cal for 65g bars with 23g of protein. fat 4g, carbs 28g, but i would also argue 'who cares' for both. it also takes your body more effort to digest protein than it does fat or carbs, so (assuming same calories) more protein = more muscle building potential + more energy consumed by digestion.

your overall intake seems low if your average day is coffee/bar/omad so i'd expect you to be on a food strugglebus but also drop weight pretty quickly.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
I'm tending to have a big dinner, not a petite portion typically, but compared to where I was, it's maybe like half of what I was eating when was in fatboi mode.

But yeah like right now I'm thinking about food much in the way I would think about bewbs.

I will here and there treat myself, I plan to try a NY style pizza place by me at some point and will get a slice or two.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Fell off the keto bandwagon while on our Florida vacation in late Jan. Been trying to get back on a good schedule, but the weekends have really killed me, so I'm trying something different. I was good during the M-F week and would loose a pound a day or so of that vacation weight, gain about 2-3 pounds back on the weekend. Last weekend we went out for a nice dinner with the BIL/SIL and the place the bread, soup, salad and main course and I said fuck it and got desert too. I started Monday this week 2 pounds more than I had started this weekend.

I've also started to do OMAD along with KETO.

That's One Meal A Day.

So it's a more intense Intermittent Fasting, though I'm limiting as many snacks as possible. I started out fresh on Monday this week, decided I would do a 24 hr fast as this weekend I gained extra. It went well and on Tuesday when I hopped on the scale I was down nearly 4.5 pounds from Monday AM! So I'm going to see if OMAD + KETO gets me to my goal weight, well, my first goal weight. I want the first # to be a 1 and not a 2, and at this rate, I'll be there soon.

Coffee in the AM, that usually lasts me until 10-10:30. Then a zero sugar drink (gatorade zero or powerade) about an hour later.

Goal #2 is to get back down to my high school graduation weight, which was 185. I was still "Fat" back then, though looking at pics I wasn't obese like now, just had a spare tire.

I think the charts for my height say I should be 160-165, so anywhere between that and my HS weight is my final goal weight. I think I can do it.

Reactions: strtcar

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Good thing about Keto is you can get off it and then back on in just a few days. Sounds like you are making progress.

I am back on carbs now and my weight went up to 189. Cut back on snacks and carbs and am 185 today. Anywhere in the 180s is OK if I can eat some carbs and foods I like. Way better than my starting weight of 225. I am sticking with the two meals a day plan with around 16 hours intermittent fasting each day. That's not hard to handle and keeps my weight balanced pretty well if I stay away from snacks.

Reactions: blue-sun

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
Iā€™ve been doing Keto since Jan 1st. Didnā€™t read through the whole thread but just wanted to chime in that it works and has been easy to follow. Iā€™ve lost 27 pounds so far. This is with zero working out.
I donā€™t eat breakfast, just lunch and dinner. Snacking occasionally on stuff like salami or almonds but like others mentioned my appetite and cravings arenā€™t bad.
Finding substitutes for things helped. I used to use flavored creamers in my coffee. Now just half and half with monkfruit sugar.
Even made pizzas on Super Bowl using recipe for the crust that was basically almond flour and cheese that came out really good.

8231153D-D83A-4658-9FA4-883EA8C54DA4.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
your weight has nothing to do with your carb intake. it has to do with your caloric intake. you don't have to cut back on carbs to be 190 185 or 180. you have to balance your caloric usage with your caloric consumption, and that is it.
The process is more complex than that. Has to do with carbs producing glucose which requires insulin production or induction to lower blood glucose, which can lead to weight gain. In simple terms you are correct but in the more complex chemical reactions in the body, carbs are worse calories than some other types of foods.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
The process is more complex than that. Has to do with carbs producing glucose which requires insulin production or induction to lower blood glucose, which can lead to weight gain. In simple terms you are correct but in the more complex chemical reactions in the body, carbs are worse calories than some other types of foods.

which only applies to those on insulin therapy - which you are - but your article itself notes the drivers are still calories in and out.

if you ate 50% fat and 50% protein and 0% carbs today, and you ate 2500 calories and burned 2000 calories, you have a 500 calorie surplus. it's not going to matter that you had 0 carbs and 0 dietary glucose. your liver is going to just go ahead and make it out of protein and fat. in fact, this is exactly what is going on during ketosis.

Ketosis, whether induced by fasting or by following a ketogenic diet, is associated with a reduction in dietary glucose. The body has elegant mechanisms that allow it to utilize non-carbohydrate substrates to generate glucose. Gluconeogenesis is a metabolic pathway in which the liver produces glucose from non-carbohydrate substrates including glucogenic amino acids (from protein) and glycerol (from lipids).

do this every day for a year. you'll be at 0 carbs and fat as fuck. if you have put more energy into your body than you've used, it's going to turn into fat. the mechanism by how it gets there can be different, but it's still going to get there.

also note from your article again, it doesn't even appear like the insulin is causing a tendency for you to store more than a normal person, like this candy bar is 100 calories for me but 110 for you - but it seems to be that your body not working correctly in the first place made them less available to you and it was more like the candy bar was 100 for me and only 90 for you before treatment.

Untreated diabetes can cause weight loss because the body is not converting food into energy correctly. Taking insulin solves this problem. This is why people may notice weight gain when they start to take insulin.

the insulin isn't making you more fat prone - it is making you as fat prone as a normie, rather than a disfunctional less fat prone state.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

But none of this trumps CICO. Ex if you are in a 500 calorie/day deficit, and you consume 50% of your calories from carbs, you will lose body fat regardless of your insulin response to the carbs.

Carbs are not "worse" calories, what does that even mean lol. The people that end up with ketoacidosis or kidney stones from the keto diet would certainly argue the opposite

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Actually, non diabetics produce insulin naturally. Type 2 diabetics do, too so the various studies that say insulin is tied to weight gain can apply to anyone.
not if the gain is going from disfunction to normal because of insulin therapy.

i'm not diabetic, not undergoing therapy, i'm simply already functioning normally.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
You guys are a tag team of arguing about any topic. I'm going to ignore your last posts and move on.
i'm literally trying to educate you on the diet you did for 6+ months and i never have
about the chronic diabetic condition you've had for like 20 years and i never have
using excerpts from your very own article

i'm not sure if there's anything more illustrative of you as a whole ever. but sure. i'm "arguing just to argue" - weight loss, diabetes, and keto all work the way you've made up in your head. just like everything else you confidently espouse.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Wife just signed us up for Factor75 Keto meals, going to give it a try.

We both hate cooking. We find often buying meats and other items at the grocery store that we intend on eating/cooking, but either end up going out to eat and at the end of the week, we have food that's gone past the "Best By Date" and it ends up in the garbage. I've tried getting her on a "let's figure out what we want each day and go to Jewel after work and buy it" but it just doesn't happen.

So we're going to give this a shot, all the reviews I've read are overwhelmingly positive. Signed up for 8 meals a week, so we each get to pick 4. Start the week of March 8th, will update with pics of the food.

Also, I did not fast yesterday as intended. Since starting Keto and loosing the initial 40 pounds, I have been COLD all the dam time. My hands get cold. My feet get cold. All things that didn't happen when I was obese.

I was freezeing around 9:30ish yesterday and decided to eat to warm up. No carbs, luckily, so I still lost under a pound, down about 7 pounds this first week and I'm in the office today with 1.5 bottles of zero sugar drinks and my coffee this AM.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Wife just signed us up for Factor75 Keto meals, going to give it a try.

We both hate cooking. We find often buying meats and other items at the grocery store that we intend on eating/cooking, but either end up going out to eat and at the end of the week, we have food that's gone past the "Best By Date" and it ends up in the garbage. I've tried getting her on a "let's figure out what we want each day and go to Jewel after work and buy it" but it just doesn't happen.

So we're going to give this a shot, all the reviews I've read are overwhelmingly positive. Signed up for 8 meals a week, so we each get to pick 4. Start the week of March 8th, will update with pics of the food.

Also, I did not fast yesterday as intended. Since starting Keto and loosing the initial 40 pounds, I have been COLD all the dam time. My hands get cold. My feet get cold. All things that didn't happen when I was obese.

that reminds me that i have credit for them, from like 2020 now. i actually rarely cook either, although sometimes i'd end up with a stack of these because i'd want a break and still eat out. i doubt you will end up in that scenario with 2 people to work on them. maybe you'd have more success with your jewel approach if instead of cooking daily, you got some stuff on the weekend and just meal prepped out a bunch of days. i tried a few different meal services, was definitely the most pleased with this one. also nice that they rotate many dishes each week. eg. they always have a salmon dish for the week, but they have like 6 different versions. also among my favorite, was always quite impressed how well some packaged microwaved salmon was turning out. i do think i tended not to order/be impressed/whatever by breakfast options, although they don't have a ton of those anyway.

I was freezeing around 9:30ish yesterday and decided to eat to warm up. No carbs, luckily, so I still lost under a pound, down about 7 pounds this first week and I'm in the office today with 1.5 bottles of zero sugar drinks and my coffee this AM.

you would lose the weight even if you ate the same calories and all carbs. this carb cult is a myth. also your water/poop fluctuate a lot and you're better off just weighing yourself saturday mornings after you wake up and shit or whatever.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
that reminds me that i have credit for them, from like 2020 now. i actually rarely cook either, although sometimes i'd end up with a stack of these because i'd want a break and still eat out. i doubt you will end up in that scenario with 2 people to work on them. maybe you'd have more success with your jewel approach if instead of cooking daily, you got some stuff on the weekend and just meal prepped out a bunch of days. i tried a few different meal services, was definitely the most pleased with this one. also nice that they rotate many dishes each week. eg. they always have a salmon dish for the week, but they have like 6 different versions. also among my favorite, was always quite impressed how well some packaged microwaved salmon was turning out. i do think i tended not to order/be impressed/whatever by breakfast options, although they don't have a ton of those anyway.

you would lose the weight even if you ate the same calories and all carbs. this carb cult is a myth. also your water/poop fluctuate a lot and you're better off just weighing yourself saturday mornings after you wake up and shit or whatever.

1) I hate cooking. I hate cleaning up after cooking. Going to Jewel daily was just a way to stop buying food that she think's we'll cook 3-4 days from now. We hardly ever do, since she also hates cooking and cleaning up afterwards. That's why the this meal program sounds like a potential winner for us.

2) I don't think if I just consumed the same # of calories that I'm eating these days (not sure the exact number, I'm not tracking anything) in carbs/sugar that I would loose weight. 1000 calories a day, let's make it all ice cream and candy and still loose weight? Yeah, I don't think so. Doing Keto, I can FEEL the inflammation in my joints when I cheat and eat some carbs/sugar.

3) I weigh myself once a day at the same time each day, when I wake up after I take a piss. Only variation happens on Friday's when I'm up about 20 mins earlier in the AM than I am M-Th.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
1) I hate cooking. I hate cleaning up after cooking. Going to Jewel daily was just a way to stop buying food that she think's we'll cook 3-4 days from now. We hardly ever do, since she also hates cooking and cleaning up afterwards. That's why the this meal program sounds like a potential winner for us.

i hate cooking too but it sure is a lot cheaper - i literally eat out almost every meal though. little nicer now being in a cheaper country (i spent a lot in mexico actually, but colombia/thailand is cheap) - in any case good safe fast tasty spots to go out in chicagoland definitely include chipotle, and protein bar & kitchen although those might only be in chicago. of course you what you pick in both matters, but you can definitely get good tasty healthy meals in both. factor75 is reasonably varied itself across the whole menu, although, you can still always get yourself in more trouble at a chipotle. aside from what you pick, you still are not measuring out portions and such. home is best if you put in the real effort, as you can measure and count and optimize everything - but it does require some effort. i still make protein pancakes and ice creams and stuff.

2) I don't think if I just consumed the same # of calories that I'm eating these days (not sure the exact number, I'm not tracking anything) in carbs/sugar that I would loose weight. 1000 calories a day, let's make it all ice cream and candy and still loose weight? Yeah, I don't think so. Doing Keto, I can FEEL the inflammation in my joints when I cheat and eat some carbs/sugar.

yes - you absolutely would lose weight. 100%. there is no reason to think you wouldn't. because ice cream is "unhealthy?" because carbs/sugar are "bad"? carbs have 4 calories, protein 4, and fat 9. just a little oil (fat) on something and you can blast the calories way up. it would be **super easy** to give you a diet of low carb or keto salads, full of cheese and bacon and no sugar dressings, 3000 cal/day and watch your weight go up. and super easy to lose weight on 1000 calories a day (extremely rapidly), because there is no way you are burning less than that as a whatever sized adult male trying to lose weight. all this stuff around carbs is 100% not how the body works. at the end of the day it is still simply calories in and out, unless you have a disfunction, which tend to be ones that cause you to lose rather than gain weight. i think i've actually posted this guy before - and others who have done similar.

When we first told you about Anthony Howard-Crow, a 32-year-old online trainer and YouTuber in Loveland, Colorado, he had just embarked on a diet that would make the American Dietetic Association shit bricks: 2,000 calories a day of ice cream, 500 calories a day of protein supplements, and a bit of recreational alcohol. Nothing more. Nothing less. For 100 days.

We can now report that Howard-Crow survived the diet. Some might even call it a success, in that he lost 32 pounds, and saw improvements in his blood work.

the only thing surprising here is the blood work. your problems eating all ice cream aren't going to be around gaining fat, they are going to be around not getting enough vitamins and nutrients and such. it probably also is a good way to eventually give yourself type 2 diabetes too. nonetheless - if calories at the end of the day eaten are less than burned, you're going to lose weight, and it's primarily going to be from fat. your body basically has no choice. you used more energy than you put in - the energy has to be taken from somewhere.

3) I weigh myself once a day at the same time each day, when I wake up after I take a piss. Only variation happens on Friday's when I'm up about 20 mins earlier in the AM than I am M-Th.

i suppose part of this is margin of error too, eg. daily meaningless water fluctuations probably have bigger swings on someone who is 180 vs 280, where at 280 you can be much more sure you dropped actual fat. nonetheless, doesn't help to get too obsessed about it. dunno if you are going to the gym too, but fyi should be doing some lifting, else your body will burn fat to drop weight, but it will also cannibalize muscle tissue. so you still want a decent amount of dietary protein plus sending some signal to your body that 'hey i still use these.' if you can still get newbie gains, they should even help you lose weight faster because you could still grow muscle tissue and it would raise your metabolism and burn more calories for you.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
i hate cooking too but it sure is a lot cheaper - i literally eat out almost every meal though. little nicer now being in a cheaper country (i spent a lot in mexico actually, but colombia/thailand is cheap) - in any case good safe fast tasty spots to go out in chicagoland definitely include chipotle, and protein bar & kitchen although those might only be in chicago. of course you what you pick in both matters, but you can definitely get good tasty healthy meals in both. factor75 is reasonably varied itself across the whole menu, although, you can still always get yourself in more trouble at a chipotle. aside from what you pick, you still are not measuring out portions and such. home is best if you put in the real effort, as you can measure and count and optimize everything - but it does require some effort. i still make protein pancakes and ice creams and stuff.

Oh Colombia is cheap! My parents were both born there, I have been to Bogota many times. The best Empanadas are there. This place is my favorite of the places I went last time (2006, been a while, would love to go back soon) http://www.andrescarnederes.com/

I took my wife with me in 2006, she had never been. I remember stopping at a gas station strip mall one day and getting like a dozen empanadas for all us for like $6 US.

Reactions: sickmint79

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Oh Colombia is cheap! My parents were both born there, I have been to Bogota many times. The best Empanadas are there. This place is my favorite of the places I went last time (2006, been a while, would love to go back soon) http://www.andrescarnederes.com/

I took my wife with me in 2006, she had never been. I remember stopping at a gas station strip mall one day and getting like a dozen empanadas for all us for like $6 US.
looks neat, there is one here (medellin) although a bit from me (i've done the walk before, bit over an hour) - if i'm near it again i'll drop in.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
looks neat, there is one here (medellin) although a bit from me (i've done the walk before, bit over an hour) - if i'm near it again i'll drop in.
Are we related? LOL (maybe seriously, both my parents are 1 of 10, I have at least 50 first cousins)

I've got a cousin in Grayslake and my uncle (his dad) spends 6 months in Medellin and 6 months here in Grayslake.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Are we related? LOL (maybe seriously, both my parents are 1 of 10, I have at least 50 first cousins)

I've got a cousin in Grayslake and my uncle (his dad) spends 6 months in Medellin and 6 months here in Grayslake.
no i'm gringo af, belgian and dutch. grew up in unincorporated mchenry (still lake county) and bought a house in grayslake when i moved out and enjoyed painful taxes for the next 15 years. have since sold my house and set myself up in a 100% remote worker fashion so am now just traveling around while i work online. first time to colombia and currently just staying in medellin for a month.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info