šŸ„ Health Keto - Who is doing it? Who has comments or questions?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
it's not eating carbs that has made your weight go up.

it is eating more calories than you burned.

Need to get back on keto. Have slowly been eating the occasional carb and the pounds slowly keep on coming. Iā€™m about 20 pounds over my lowest keto weight, which was just before covid. During Covid and all last year, I was up about 10 and this last few months Iā€™ve easily gained those additional 10. Iā€™ve used keto friendly meals for breakfast/lunch most days itā€™s dinner with the fam thatā€™s been tougher this last year.
Did ok today, we had breakfast for dinner (eggs, bacon) but I made a keto breakfast sammich with low carb ā€œketoā€ bread, not ideal but we had a loaf that the ā€œbest byā€ date is tomorrow so I wanted to use it before we toss it.

in my experience, keto bread (or at least the ones i found and used) tended to be a lower calorie and higher protein (eggy) so i liked them. although in the US, you can get some super low calorie bread. per my tracking spreadsheet, the aunt millie's carb smart white bread (not keto) at walmart was super low. i'll note i did not make sandwiches out of it or need a lot of structural integrity, i used it as a component in making the batter for a super high protein cinnamon casserole thing.

I'm trying to stick with 2 meals a day. Eating carbs again has bumped my weight up 6 pounds from my low of 177. Bread is SO good plus... Thanksgiving. I'm having a steak and salad tonight and will have a turkey sandwich tomorrow during the day when I can burn off the carbs.

I'm going to Texas in a couple weeks to visit Franklin's BBQ and La Barbecue. Probably going to put on some weight when I'm out there. Will need to go full Keto for a month after that.

sounds like you are just yo yo dieting to me then really.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
it's not eating carbs that has made your weight go up.

it is eating more calories than you burned.

in my experience, keto bread (or at least the ones i found and used) tended to be a lower calorie and higher protein (eggy) so i liked them. although in the US, you can get some super low calorie bread. per my tracking spreadsheet, the aunt millie's carb smart white bread (not keto) at walmart was super low. i'll note i did not make sandwiches out of it or need a lot of structural integrity, i used it as a component in making the batter for a super high protein cinnamon casserole thing.

sounds like you are just yo yo dieting to me then really.

This is the Keto bread we have. Kids think it tastes like cardboard, but when you haven't had bread in a while, it's decent. I have had a slice or 2 with some Irish butter, and it's tasty!

Reactions: sickmint79

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
My biggest thing with keto was how much tastier "bland" food was after being on a [near] zero sugar diet. The shitty tasting bread or sweeteners that were already overpowered, because they dump a cup of sugar into everything, started to have flavor and weren't actually bad. Any kind of pop, especially Mountain Dew, was so disgusting because it was just a half bottle of sugar.

That is all.

Reactions: blue-sun

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
This is the Keto bread we have. Kids think it tastes like cardboard, but when you haven't had bread in a while, it's decent. I have had a slice or 2 with some Irish butter, and it's tasty!

same calories but 2g more protein per slice than the bread i found, wow. the most protein efficient thing i made was that cinnamon thing, and this would even make it moreso!

My biggest thing with keto was how much tastier "bland" food was after being on a [near]zero sugar diet. The shitty tasting bread or sweeteners that were already overpowered because they dump a cup of sugar into everything started to have flavor and weren't actually bad. Any kind of pop, especially Mountain Dew, was so disgusting because it was just a half bottle of sugar.

That is all.

same, never used to care for peppers, but could happily take a bite out of a raw one and think now hey pretty good/crisp/refreshing etc. a can of regular coke would be super sweet, and 2 i'm sure would feel sickening.

Reactions: blue-sun

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
As expected, during the holidays being strict on Keto didn't really happen. I'm generally good for breakfast/lunch to eat keto, but dinner time with the family has been the tough thing. I've gained and lost 5-10 pounds all through December.

As of this week, back on strict Keto and mixing in some Intermittent Fasting. After dinner on Monday that I started a 24 hr fast , I got about 20 hours into it when I started to get really bad headaches. I was drinking zero sugar gatorade (2 of the smaller bottles) but no other sodium intake. I broke my fast with some Blue Diamond Smokehoue Almonds and the salt on them helped almost instantly. I think I will try to do an 18hr fast again today and get back into the swing of Keto and into ketosis.

But between weighing myself yesterday AM and today AM, I'm down 3 pounds. I'm still about 10# over where I was comfortably last year at this time but I will try to keep going on Keto and get down even more. I think I can safely loose 40-50 more.

Reactions: frank and strtcar

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
oh man. 1100 a day i'd be struggling like hell.
Unfortunately thats whats required to lose weight. Caloric deficiency, and the only way to get that is to limit them cals. I usually have an Atkins shake for breakfast. Then for lunch 4 boiled eggs or I will get a triple cheese with bacon with no bun from Wendys or a chicken bowl from Chipotle with only cheese, sour cream and a touch of guac. Then for dinner its eggs boiled or scrambled, maybe a few sausages with them. Or another shake if I ate too much at lunch. I also have a sugar free redbull as a mid day "snack". There are other things you can have but you really need to keep them cals low. At 1100 a day the weight just falls off.

Reactions: Flyn

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Unfortunately thats whats required to lose weight. Caloric deficiency, and the only way to get that is to limit them cals. I usually have an Atkins shake for breakfast. Then for lunch 4 boiled eggs or I will get a triple cheese with bacon with no bun from Wendys or a chicken bowl from Chipotle with only cheese, sour cream and a touch of guac. Then for dinner its eggs boiled or scrambled, maybe a few sausages with them. Or another shake if I ate too much at lunch. I also have a sugar free redbull as a mid day "snack". There are other things you can have but you really need to keep them cals low. At 1100 a day the weight just falls off.
As you continue with the Keto diet, I recommend getting your vitamin levels/electrolytes checked. I was deficient in a couple vitamins and, per my endocrinologist's recommendation, added Bariatric Fusion vitamins to my diet to compensate. Also taking a buttload of Vitamin D now because it's supposed to be big in stopping covid.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
I might as well post my dieting updates here.

Just to share some background, I'm 6 feet tall, big shoulders and like to lift weights.

I got up to 245 around the holidays and after our big AZ/UT family trip around NYE my plan was to buckle down and get back down to a good weight. I hit 237.5 today that was good progress. My goals are 229, 219, and then 209. I'm avoiding carbs but not hard core Keto. I am doing IF 12-8PM. Big thing was ditching the midnite snack, which could be 2 hot dogs or leftovers, I instead have a pint or two of water.

My energy is up, having some problems falling asleep. But I feel less tired, reminds me of when I did lazy keto a while back.

Reactions: Aircal

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
back to keto for 2 weeks now too, trying to stay under 25ng carbs/day. I ate like a savage over the holidays and gained about 15. I don't eat anything until dinner time, just drinking water, black coffee or unsweetened iced tea. 18/6 IF, one fatty meal a day and a fatty snack seems to work best for me.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I might as well post my dieting updates here.

Just to share some background, I'm 6 feet tall, big shoulders and like to lift weights.

I got up to 245 around the holidays and after our big AZ/UT family trip around NYE my plan was to buckle down and get back down to a good weight. I hit 237.5 today that was good progress. My goals are 229, 219, and then 209. I'm avoiding carbs but not hard core Keto. I am doing IF 12-8PM. Big thing was ditching the midnite snack, which could be 2 hot dogs or leftovers, I instead have a pint or two of water.

My energy is up, having some problems falling asleep. But I feel less tired, reminds me of when I did lazy keto a while back.
are you actually even in ketosis then? you are making it sound like you just 'ate less carbs' in your diet. given the effort to attain/maintain ketosis, it sounds like you are probably not even in ketosis, eg. not keto at all?

i think IF has benefits with some of the things it can do for your body (anti-cancer for example), although as far as any weight loss is concerned, i think all it is really doing there is forcing you to eat less if you are disciplined enough to stick in your feeding windows. eg. it's forced you to eschew your midnight snack, and you didn't move that food consumption into your window either.

i like the idea of IF but last i tried it was southeast asia while working US hours, and it was just not going to happen. i expect to be back in march, else i might try it again.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Nice, I'd like to be stricter with Keto but it's hard when I have 3 other eaters in the house who are not. Right now I'm dropping water weight and some fat but it will get harder with my approach when I get back into the 220s.

yeah that's a challenge, and its tempting to cave into carbs. Meal prepping may help you?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Good luck guys! The Keto test strips are cheap on Amazon and will let you know if you are in Keto. Once you do get into Keto and your body starts burning fat, the hunger for carbs goes away for the most part. Intellectually, I still wanted carbs but it was fairly easy to ignore.

I'm still hanging out between 180lbs and 185 lbs depending on what I eat and drink each day now that I'm off Keto. I went to see my cardiologist for a check up and he was amazed. Seems to be a rare thing for people to actually lose large amounts of weight. You guys can do it, too.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Sickmint I am not in Ketosis, just losing right now cuz eating less / portion control and I'm avoiding lots of carbs but I'm well over 20-25 grams per day.

I don't like meal prepping, only because I don't like the taste of some stuff a day or few days later.

i would argue you are better off here anyway, aside from it simply being easier, iirc there are multiple studies showing it makes it more difficult to build muscle. i watch a chunk of the mind pumps guys clips and i think they have multiple where they don't generally speak favorably of it in these terms either.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
If I'm following you, yeah too low in carbs and I find it hard to work out (lift weights). I haven't lifted in over a year but am going to back in it though I'll probably just do light weight stuff for now. When I lift heavy I tended to want to eat a lot (no surprise) and I tended to retain a lot of water.

So best thing for me is lose most of the weight and then figure out what I'll eat after I achieve that. Right now for example my lunch is an Atkins bar, I drink coffee with milk, and then I have a dinner on which I'm not placing a lot of limits. Nothing after, and typically 2 pints of water before I go to sleep.

I could maintain in the mid 210s while lifting still had a bit of belly.
weight 3.jpg

Reactions: sickmint79

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
If I'm following you, yeah too low in carbs and I find it hard to work out (lift weights). I haven't lifted in over a year but am going to back in it though I'll probably just do light weight stuff for now. When I lift heavy I tended to want to eat a lot (no surprise) and I tended to retain a lot of water.

So best thing for me is lose most of the weight and then figure out what I'll eat after I achieve that. Right now for example my lunch is an Atkins bar, I drink coffee with milk, and then I have a dinner on which I'm not placing a lot of limits. Nothing after, and typically 2 pints of water before I go to sleep.

I could maintain in the mid 210s while lifting still had a bit of belly.
View attachment 110446

i think they might have been the finding of the studies, like low carbs lead to reduced overall volume, so reduced gainz. fyi i also found lifting weights to be surprisingly low calorie consumption wise. i guess because much of the time you are resting. (unless you add in cardio at the gym.) i was surprised to find per my fitbit that the calories i burned in the gym during the same amount of time was no different than when i volunteered at an animal shelter and just fed and played with cats and cleaned litter boxes. i was typically moving on the latter but certainly nothing strenuous.

would change the flavor (i mostly do black coffee) - not sure how much you use but unsweetened almond milk vs. milk could swap out some calories. how many a day are you eating? that sounds like a hungry day to me where you are practically doing the one meal a day thing. you can also do some tests to measure your calorie consumption reasonably accurately, i did a resting metabolic rate test and found the popular calorie estimation calculators online were all overestimating how much i burned.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
The Atkins car is 16G protein/3G carbs/2G sugar so I think it's okay to replace a meal. Sometimes I get chipotle for lunch as well, though I find if I can do the bar 3-4 times a week it helps with weight loss.

I have a ways to go, I have to lose 20 lbs to get to where I was in that picture (215).

Tonight for dinner, making porkchops will get some salt/pepper/lemon, broiled, and some carrots which I will probably dice up and sautee with a honey / soy glaze.

Just to put it in perspective, before the holidays I ate whatever, drank whatever, and I balloon up pretty bad.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info