šŸ„ Health Keto - Who is doing it? Who has comments or questions?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I get what you are saying. Visceral fat is the enemy as far as good health and is hard, especially for diabetics, to lose. I'm thinking 5 more lbs., not 1 lb. Because of the good A1C numbers on Keto, I'm probably never going back to a high carb regular diet. I may modify the diet a bit but Keto works well for blood sugar control. I may add years to my life by staying on some type of Keto. I definitely feel better.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Haven't had anything to report recently. I have been hovering between 180-182 but I think it's water weight making the difference. My body does not want to go down to 175. I did have half a dozen chips with queso dip over the weekend while watching the Bears game. They were GOOD! Had a chef salad to go with them.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I'm researching how to get off Keto. Looks like controlling carbs to some extent, using intermittent fasting, taking Chromium and working out. Prevents the rebound weight gain and builds muscle.
Track calories now
Consume similar calories with similar or more protein when you switch to a balanced diet
Use IF if you like to eat that way, but understand it will not impact fat loss or gain given equal calories.
Don't freak out when you gain water weight, it's not fat

That's all you have to do to get off keto. Any nutrient deficiencies you experience on keto will be fixed once you start eating a balanced diet, so you don't need any supplementation.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I have continued to add a little bit of carbs to my diet. Ketosis levels have gone down but I'm still in it. I didn't weigh myself for a week and did so this morning. 179 lbs. Lost another pound and got past the 180 plateau.

Today I'm having deli hot dogs (no buns) and a salad for brunch and then either Italian sausage with peppers and onions or steak tartare with another salad for dinner. Haven't decided yet.

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
i started on a fasting regimen over the past week. Still continuing this week. Doing extended fasts, anywhere from 24-40+hrs a few times a week. I love it, its a bit of a curve to get acclimated but once your body gets 'fat adapted' its a breeze.
1634759633621.png

Starting weight and BF was 149 at 16.2% as of 10/9
This past weekend, 10/16 just 1 week in I weighed in at 146.2 at 15.5% bodyfat. Profited -3lbs and .52% of bodyfat in a week. RESULTS!!

Goal is to get to low 140's, high 130s and possibly 13% bodyfat over the next 3.5 weeks, which at the pace im going i should easily attain it. The app im using is LIFE

strtcar

Regular
Oct 28, 2007
Been trying to lose weight for 10+ years with no success. I tried the atkins cycle a few times but never for a duration more than 2 weeks. Might give this a try next
its worth a shot but you gotta stick with it for a period of time. I'm only down 40lbs over about 9 months, i have cheat days that throw me off, but stick with it, doesn't happen overnight.

Reactions: SHARKBITEATTACK

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Been trying to lose weight for 10+ years with no success. I tried the atkins cycle a few times but never for a duration more than 2 weeks. Might give this a try next

- don't treat some diet change as a temporary thing
- write down what you eat

it's more important that you track what you are eating and what quantity than picking any generally fad approaches to what you supposedly should be eating. once you understand what you are eating you can start swapping in wiser choices of x for y and manipulating quantities to hit cravings/goals/etc.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I have noticed that my food choices are a lot smarter now than they were before the diet.

Keto really needs to be temporary because you can't stay total Keto forever. It's not healthy as far as vitamins and electrolytes plus there is the risk of dehydration. That's why I'm trying some adjustments to reach an equilibrium which will probably be some fats, some meat, lower carbs and very little sugar. Working on how much to eat a day to maintain the new weight. Keto did its job now I need to learn how to maintain.

MirkosMangle

Regular
Jul 12, 2021
Here's a decent video for Keto beginners. This guy's site has a lot of good info and his voice is announcer quality.

One of the best videos about keto. To be honest i don't remember to be on any diet in my life. Still i try to eat wisely and avoid junks naturally. I do take iron supplement and some vitamins which come from online pharmacy every two months to keep my immune system in a good condition.

Reactions: Shawn1112

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
ah ok cool. he had another video on the libre 2 vs the g6, the 2 seemed annoying (8 hour log only and you had to manually scan it) - this libre 3 looks cool. i would like to have one just to see how my own body reacts to various foods. looks like for $200 USD i could get 3 of those sensors in mexico, looks hard to source at all in thailand. might have to pick them up.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
The G6 is the better device right now. I am in touch with Dexcom often about some sensor issues they are having now. They say the G7 will be better and will connect with Medtronics insulin pumps. We'll see.

If you have insurance (and they will pay), the device is pricey but not terrible. The sensors are an ongoing expense and aren't cheap. They only last for a week/week and a half depending on device. The G6 transmitters last 3 months and then need to be replaced again at relatively high cost. That means 4 transmitters and 30+ sensors every year. Plus the insulin pump which is near $10K now and the reservoir and other injection hardware that also need to be replaced every 3 days.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
The G6 is the better device right now. I am in touch with Dexcom often about some sensor issues they are having now. They say the G7 will be better and will connect with Medtronics insulin pumps. We'll see.

If you have insurance (and they will pay), the device is pricey but not terrible. The sensors are an ongoing expense and aren't cheap. They only last for a week/week and a half depending on device. The G6 transmitters last 3 months and then need to be replaced again at relatively high cost. That means 4 transmitters and 30+ sensors every year. Plus the insulin pump which is near $10K now and the reservoir and other injection hardware that also need to be replaced every 3 days.

he had a 2 vs. g6 video where he complained that the g6 had multiple sensor problems. it also seems way bulkier and noticeable and at least for the US apparently only approved on the abdomen? when it was working fine though it certainly seemed superior to the 2, although the 3 looks like it has the benefits of the libre 2 and g6 combined.

it's not medically necessary for me and i want insurance, but don't have it now, due to being abroad/having to buy my own/analysis paralysis as it is a pain to try and compare options, so i'll be paying cash no matter what. i'd only use it to monitor a few weeks of food consumption in mexico/thailand, too expensive to keep otherwise, and it sounds like quite the total cost for someone like you having to maintain all that stuff, yikes.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Yeah, my portion is multi thousands per year. Plus insulin plus any other tests/office visits/other drugs, etc. You may be able to find a used device online sometime although sites pull them as soon as they see them since you aren't supposed to be able to sell medical supplies yourself. I have sold some unopened extra stuff online and donated the rest of it to my doctor's office so they could legally pass them out to people who can't afford them. I have my prescriptions set up so I can order a bunch, hit my deductible and take a year off from buying but, if I switch devices, I have no use for the stored stuff. I figure I might as well see that someone gets it either cheaper or at no cost to them.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Need to get back on keto. Have slowly been eating the occasional carb and the pounds slowly keep on coming. Iā€™m about 20 pounds over my lowest keto weight, which was just before covid. During Covid and all last year, I was up about 10 and this last few months Iā€™ve easily gained those additional 10. Iā€™ve used keto friendly meals for breakfast/lunch most days itā€™s dinner with the fam thatā€™s been tougher this last year.
Did ok today, we had breakfast for dinner (eggs, bacon) but I made a keto breakfast sammich with low carb ā€œketoā€ bread, not ideal but we had a loaf that the ā€œbest byā€ date is tomorrow so I wanted to use it before we toss it.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I'm trying to stick with 2 meals a day. Eating carbs again has bumped my weight up 6 pounds from my low of 177. Bread is SO good plus... Thanksgiving. I'm having a steak and salad tonight and will have a turkey sandwich tomorrow during the day when I can burn off the carbs.

I'm going to Texas in a couple weeks to visit Franklin's BBQ and La Barbecue. Probably going to put on some weight when I'm out there. Will need to go full Keto for a month after that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info