šŸ„ Health Keto - Who is doing it? Who has comments or questions?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Down to 189 Lbs. Under the 190 milestone! I'm on OMAD now with a couple bite size pieces of meat or fatty food as a small snack within a 6 hour window of the meal. 16-18 hour fasts.

I added a bit of carbs to the diet to see what would happen and it didn't knock me out of Keto. Had some beans the other day and some salsa with tomatoes which I haven't had for months.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I got back some blood test results today that I asked for during my Dr. visits last week. My B12 and D are really low. Since that test, I have been taking the endocrinologist recommended mega vitamin listed on the previous page so I'm going to continue that and take an additional D vitamin. I asked for another blood test in a month so I can see the results from the vitamin supplements. Hopefully I get back in range on B12 and D and continue on for another 10-15 Lb. weight loss. I bet the B12 deficiency is the reason for the leg cramps I get at night. I'll find out in a week or two once the supplements kick in.

These tests show that, with Keto, you have to get tested and work with your doctors to prevent issues. It's not an eat these foods and forget the rest kind of diet.

I have been on my exercise bike for my legs and using the "Heavy" stretch band for my arms and shoulders muscles. I started with the "Medium" band and have progressed to the "Heavy". I do a few sets of 25 using half a dozen different exercises. It's easy to carry a 40 pack (or two) of water bottles now. It used to be difficult.

I also saw a dermatologist this week and had an irregular, multi colored small growth removed from my back. It's out for biopsy now. Always a good idea to get a skin check up every year or so. Early detection is important.

Reactions: Maro

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i invested in a sensor/gaming company, and part of the sensor and games is to help keep people playing in vr without getting any nausea/vertigo because their body is doing something and feeling sensations (typically this is with a bike/trainer of some sort) - i had a friend make fun of the tech when it came out, i let him use my original unit (bike with internal sensor) and he lost over 30 lbs. someone at work did the same recently. fitness vr used to be kind of ignored by the big companies but they seem to find it to be a major driver now, as one is having fun in the game but also being active. in any case, your a1c comments made me think of a recent review that was shared with investors too.

Yco2zsu.png

iirc bioavailability of d went up when taken with calcium? i would think in sunny florida you might be doing well there. you also get it from things you probably typically don't eat (iirc, skin as well as organ meat). do you know your d was better pre-keto? per your comments it implies that d might be a keto diet deficiency, but i would suspect it to not be related to diet?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Another side benefit of losing weight is I am now off blood pressure meds. I was taking a small daily dose because my BP was 140/90. It is now 102/65 and doctor said stop taking it because that's low end of normal range and she says I don't need it anymore. So many good things happen when the weight gets down. If any of you are overweight and thinking of dieting, it's worth the hassles. I feel pretty darned good about myself now.

Reactions: PJx5x and radioguy6

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
kind of surprised in sunny Florida your vitamin D would be low. My D was low too, but everything else in my blood test improved after a year on a strict keto and little/no alcohol. I've been switching back and forth, but got serious again. I picked up a vacuum sealer and been stocking my freezer of alllll the fatty meats. I'm 2 weeks deep and starting to feel good again.

Reactions: Flyn

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Another side benefit of losing weight is I am now off blood pressure meds. I was taking a small daily dose because my BP was 140/90. It is now 102/65 and doctor said stop taking it because that's low end of normal range and she says I don't need it anymore. So many good things happen when the weight gets down. If any of you are overweight and thinking of dieting, it's worth the hassles. I feel pretty darned good about myself now.

while home i was trying to get my mom to do so better habits. she wasn't really having any of it though. i don't consider weight watches 'bad' but she's more likely to on/off something like that than simply measure and record some food. my aunt mentioned another family losing stuff on ww and my mom actually already had this print out of "0 point foods" ready - and i was pretty surprised at some of the stuff on there, eg. eggs. also things that were highly variable, pickles for example could have 5 calories or 100 (sugar) etc. she eats fairly well but will then snack on el fudge or something too. totally worth putting in the effort to improve your weight/health but harder to get the first steps taken.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Today I went 2 meals. I mix and match to try to keep my metabolism guessing. 2 scrambled eggs with a lot of butter and some cheddar cheese and 4 slices of bacon for brunch and then a salad with shrimp and scallops for dinner. Yesterday was a cheeseburger, small salad and Keto almond bun for my only meal.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Yeah if it doesn't taste like bread I'm out, I have already tried stuff like that. Some of the other pizza crust options were really dreadful.

I can sneak low carb stuff past my wife and boys if it has decent taste.

aj8 aj8gtp, there are some keto bakeries out there too, they offer some nice desserts. Some of them are shared in this FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChicagoAreaKeto

Reactions: aj8

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I'm down to 187 Lbs. Slow but sure.

I can't exercise for about a month due to a medical procedure today. I had a severely dysplastic nevus removed from the center of my back. Basically it's a type of irregular mole that can develop into a melanoma. When it's "severe" the treatment is immediate removal. It's like a Seinfeld type growth that they need to cut 5 mm around to get it all. First there's a dozen pain killer injections. Then the cutting. The surgeon hit a vein and blood spurted into her face. Ended up with a huge pile of bloody gauze while she was cauterizing it. Then more pain killer injections. Then she finished the slicing and stitched the muscle, then the skin back up. No stretch band exercising for a month. I thought the surgery would be nothing but it ended up being more than I expected.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Yeah if it doesn't taste like bread I'm out, I have already tried stuff like that. Some of the other pizza crust options were really dreadful.

I can sneak low carb stuff past my wife and boys if it has decent taste.

aj8 aj8gtp, there are some keto bakeries out there too, they offer some nice desserts. Some of them are shared in this FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChicagoAreaKeto

have you tried "fat head dough"? Its just almond flour, full fat mozzarella and 1 egg. It rolls like warm dough between parchment paper, but takes some practice to cook it just right.

My sweet tooth disappears on hard keto but I'll get a chocolate craving once and a while. Check out Lily's chocolate, you can find it at Jewel, Target, Whole foods. It is a little pricy but its not bad. Most "keto" deserts are going to likely be using Erythritol as the sugar substitute. Most can process it just fine but take it easy at first and see how it goes. Its 0 net carbs, has a slightly bitter aftertaste but has a pretty close sweetness to table sugar.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I like the hot dog buns and pizza dough I posted earlier. Both are good. Dog even likes them. Seems like bread but it's all almonds, eggs and other good stuff.

I have relaxed my diet a bit and it increased my ketones. Weird. Had a few bites of potato salad the other day and felt a bit sick for a couple hours but it didn't kick me out of Keto.

Thread Info