Keto - low carb - low sugar

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
just got back from 2 weeks in Europe, mainly Italy and greece and ate like an absolute savage there. The bread and pastas there are just 'different' and better, idk how else to explain it. You look around and notice obesity is less common, considering their carb heavy diet. Its really kind of strange.

I did enjoy doing keto a few years ago, but I'll admit it's been very hard to get back on the wagon. My view on it has changed and I look back on it as a great learning experience. I lost 80 lbs at my peak, but since gained about 30 of it back.

the hardest part for me was having to plan around unexpected dinners and gatherings. When I was in peak ketosis, I would preview a menu and already have my selection made before sitting down.

never got into store bought "keto" snacks, all seemed gimmicky and pricy. I snacked on basics i'd buy in bulk, meats, cheeses, olives, and nuts. High fat and mid protein, low/no carb. I still do today but not as much quantity.

Today i'm more mindful of calories in/calories out. Look at something and ask yourself is it calorie worthy?
Obesity is less common as everyone is out walking or biking, not as much junk food as here in the states, and the food is homemade using fresh ingredients, not processed.

Reactions: radioguy6

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Obesity is less common as everyone is out walking or biking, not as much junk food as here in the states, and the food is homemade using fresh ingredients, not processed.

many common ingredients here are banned over there too. Also considering fresh and not processed, food was reasonably priced. could stop in any random small cafe and get a fresh sandwich for like 5 or 6 EUR. hardly any fast food places, and I only saw kfc, mcd, and bk. definitely a more active society too, but I do think their food quality standards play a role.

Reactions: Aircal

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
just got back from 2 weeks in Europe, mainly Italy and greece and ate like an absolute savage there. The bread and pastas there are just 'different' and better quality, idk how else to explain it. You look around and notice obesity is less common, considering their carb heavy diet. Its really kind of strange.

I did enjoy doing keto a few years ago, but I'll admit it's been very hard to get back on the wagon. My view on it has changed and I look back on it as a great learning experience. I lost 80 lbs at my peak, but since gained about 30 of it back.

the hardest part for me was having to plan around unexpected dinners and gatherings. When I was in peak ketosis, I would preview a menu and already have my selection made before sitting down.

never got into store bought "keto" snacks, all seemed gimmicky and pricy. I snacked on basics i'd buy in bulk, meats, cheeses, olives, and nuts. High fat and mid protein, low/no carb. I still do today but not as much quantity.

Today i'm more mindful of calories in/calories out. Look at something and ask yourself is it calorie worthy?
euros generally better with serving portions/portion control, plus a more active lifestyle walking or biking vs. america's car driven culture. do you have any pic threads? where in greece? looking at potentially going next year. i bought a cheap leg just to hop in the region, i have a $400 business class ticket from KUL (short positioning flight) to cairo, currently scheduled next feb. my expectation is that i can 1. move it for cheap and 2. just use it to fly to somewhere else i'd like to visit, like athens

Reactions: radioguy6

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
euros generally better with serving portions/portion control, plus a more active lifestyle walking or biking vs. america's car driven culture. do you have any pic threads? where in greece? looking at potentially going next year. i bought a cheap leg just to hop in the region, i have a $400 business class ticket from KUL (short positioning flight) to cairo, currently scheduled next feb. my expectation is that i can 1. move it for cheap and 2. just use it to fly to somewhere else i'd like to visit, like athens

No threads yet, still catching up from being out. We hopped on a good deal last year for a Mediterranean cruise from Rome. Airfare was included and stupid cheap. Only downside had to connect through Iceland, but whatever, only added 4hrs. Was in the southern parts of Greece, mainly the Cyclades and a day in Athens, Mykonos and Santorini islands.

Reactions: sickmint79

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
My goal is to get back to 208, so I've been doing the usual things. But have been having one big or normal meal a day, dinner, and a small lunch or vice versa. Been mostly good at avoiding post-dinner snacking, but I have twice made a salad as a snack. Been steadily losing weight, started at 232, am at 221 today. For my small meal it's been a salad.

I definitely need to deal with my yo/yo weight issue once I get back under 210.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info