🔧 BUILD K swap miata

General Information

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a while but I thought I'd share my winter project.

I have a 1995 Miata that will be getting the k24a2 out of a 2008 Acura TSX.

K power industries is local to IL and makes a package that includes most of what's needed.

Does it make sense monetarily? Probably not, but that's cars. Hopefully it will be greater than the sum of its parts.

So, I got the motor from a junkyard and started tearing it down to replace the oil pump and timing components. This was for pan clearance and just general maintenance.

The rsx type s oil pump can handle higher revs and the adaptor is for clearance as you will see later it will sit weird.

20210403_184850_HDR.jpg

20210405_150014[1].jpg

20210829_115127[1].jpg

20210829_161740[1].jpg

20210829_130802[1].jpg
Okay, so this "oh the battery drained business" Is not what I thought.

Recently drove it to and from work. I live really close and it barely made it home. Gauge cluster turning off and Seatbelt light flashing.

I was driving on battery charge.

Checked fuses, grounds, and wires to alternator look good.

Car off power and ground at the alt read 12ish
battery voltage. Running it jumps down to 9.

The voltage regulator is inside the alternator. So, everyone says I'm better off just buying a new alternator. Instead of rebuilding.

So, this stuttering problem I've been chasing the whole time... I thought it was the tune. I thought it was the tps. I shortened the throttle cable. I put on a heavier spring for the blade.

All these bandaids. It's an issue with the casting of the throttle body. I talked to kit company and I'm being sent a new throttle body free of charge.

Hoping to put that on Saturday to enjoy the weather Sunday.

On the docket:
Get 200tw tires
Add new resonator
Move axleback flanges to make room for diff brace
Enjoy autocross

PXL_20230401_185158577.jpg
Hard top off, summer tires back on. Gonna be ordering new tires soon, the rears are getting close to toasted.

Edit: Soon is very soon. 4 rt660s for $630 love these small tire sizes.

Threw on the new throttle body. Gonna mess with the tune tomorrow. I wanted to let some loctited bolts set.

Rearranged some vacuum lines. Changed up a crankcase vent. Need to get a small filter for that.

Talked with my welder hoping to get that resonator and diff brace thrown on next weekend.

Reactions: bikrboy128
Drove with the top down.

Fucked with idle a bit but no luck. Car drives fine otherwise. It actually idles as it's supposed, but if you tap the throttle it jumps to 1500 or 2000 and just sits there.

Idk if I haven't given the ECU and iacv time to relearn after flashing.

My friend is convinced it is the throttle body again.

But the throttle spring may be the issue. The belief is that at low throttle the spring doesn't have enough tension to bring it home to proper idle. If you stab it the throttle comes back down to where it should be.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Most people don't know the sounds of rocks being thrown all around the fender wells and into the car. Wait until after a rain when all of the road debris that NOBODY knows about gets thrown back onto the road where the tires follow.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
And you might be rubbing because these tires are massively oversized, I would argue a 255 (what I have) is a 275 and if not definitely a 265. Both my friend and I noticed how much wider they were immediately, his where rubbing on his fender when his old 255 RE-71's weren't even close.

And you might be rubbing because these tires are massively oversized, I would argue a 255 (what I have) is a 275 and if not definitely a 265. Both my friend and I noticed how much wider they were immediately, his where rubbing on his fender when his old 255 RE-71's weren't even close.
I fucked with a few more things and as far as I can tell no more rubbing. Drove like 20 minutes with no radio. Taking fast turns slow turns. Slaloming back and forth for weight transfer.

Seems good now.

Although I let a friend drive the car and he was cooking the clutch. I had to be like dude are you on the clutch? I've had like 5 other people drive it with zero issue. I should've been more selective lol.

Clutch isn't fuckered so it's whatever.

Thread Info