🔧 BUILD K swap miata

General Information

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a while but I thought I'd share my winter project.

I have a 1995 Miata that will be getting the k24a2 out of a 2008 Acura TSX.

K power industries is local to IL and makes a package that includes most of what's needed.

Does it make sense monetarily? Probably not, but that's cars. Hopefully it will be greater than the sum of its parts.

So, I got the motor from a junkyard and started tearing it down to replace the oil pump and timing components. This was for pan clearance and just general maintenance.

The rsx type s oil pump can handle higher revs and the adaptor is for clearance as you will see later it will sit weird.

20210403_184850_HDR.jpg

20210405_150014[1].jpg

20210829_115127[1].jpg

20210829_161740[1].jpg

20210829_130802[1].jpg
piece of wire to test it.....
Needed to sleep on it before I fucked up more shit. Wasn't my day lol. Couldn't find any decent gauge wire to cannibalize on the side of the road. And when I tried to jump the relay it was the wrong one cause I couldn't see jackshit under the dash. Which thankfully only popped one fuse. I had 4 free tows and needed to save my sanity.

That's Mazda's fault :rofl:
I should've beefed up the relay. I totally forgot which pump I dropped in. Some of the upgraded dw pumps are fine on the stock relays, but the walbro I dropped in is too much and tends to kill the relay eventually.

Got a new stock relay on the way and then a second unit to run in tandem which should prevent this issue from happening again.

Reactions: NOMIEZVR4

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I should've beefed up the relay. I totally forgot which pump I dropped in. Some of the upgraded dw pumps are fine on the stock relays, but the walbro I dropped in is too much and tends to kill the relay eventually.

Got a new stock relay on the way and then a second unit to run in tandem which should prevent this issue from happening again.
Volvo fan relay is my vote. Look it up.

Reactions: AnimalMother316
I'm not sure if my fuel pump relay was even bad now. Swapped it and nothing changed. Looked again and my main relay was looking. A little spicy.

Bottom right pin is a little melty
PXL_20220920_221114015.jpg

Car starts and runs now. Tried to keep my momentum and wire in the harness for the secondary relay and... Amazon sent me the wrong part. Really should've checked the package yesterday.

Already got the fuel pump exposed. Hopefully, tomorrow will go better.

Yeah she got a bit of heat. Watch the contacts on that one too you may end up wanting to keep a relay and/or bypass in the trunk till you can step it up a hair.
It usually takes a while for my level of pump to kill the relay, but I haven't been driving it other than once down the street and back.

It's sitting until I fix it right. Should get the tandem relay today.

Okay, car wouldn't start all week.

Finally realized ecu was getting no power. Wires all looked good. Realized the add a fuse providing power to the ecu got jostled loose. It's snug now and I haven't seen the same issue.

Still got a least a month of or 2 of salt free driving.

Winter projects are probably get 200tw tires and fix the coolant leak at the rear water neck and leak at heater core piping

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
RT660 is definitely the fastest tire on the track, but if you're just committed to Auto-X you need a tire that doesn't need to be heated up as much. I can tell you on a 90 degree day the RT660 is insane but if it's like 70 degrees it's an ice skating rink until the tire is warm. There are more softer "200tw" tires that are much better for Auto-X and they're terrible on the track, obviously. If you want a mix of the two definitely go with the newest version of the RE's.

Thread Info