🔧 BUILD K swap miata

General Information

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted in a while but I thought I'd share my winter project.

I have a 1995 Miata that will be getting the k24a2 out of a 2008 Acura TSX.

K power industries is local to IL and makes a package that includes most of what's needed.

Does it make sense monetarily? Probably not, but that's cars. Hopefully it will be greater than the sum of its parts.

So, I got the motor from a junkyard and started tearing it down to replace the oil pump and timing components. This was for pan clearance and just general maintenance.

The rsx type s oil pump can handle higher revs and the adaptor is for clearance as you will see later it will sit weird.

20210403_184850_HDR.jpg

20210405_150014[1].jpg

20210829_115127[1].jpg

20210829_161740[1].jpg

20210829_130802[1].jpg

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
As I said, you will have MUCH grip. Mine are 2 seasons old and I will purposely just turn the steering wheel around a corner to get the car to understeer and sure, it does understeer because I'm being an asshole but that little bit of scrubbing heats them up and they grab so hard. Because of their extra width I will probably always buy these, they fit my 9" wheel so well.

As I said, you will have MUCH grip. Mine are 2 seasons old and I will purposely just turn the steering wheel around a corner to get the car to understeer and sure, it does understeer because I'm being an asshole but that little bit of scrubbing heats them up and they grab so hard. Because of their extra width I will probably always buy these, they fit my 9" wheel so well.
It already feels amazing. Lift off and the rear just pulls right into place going around corners.

Damn that sucks, I was hoping to hear your impression of those tires.
Yeah, I barely got them warmed up. I was getting used to the car again. I needed to be meaner to the brakes. I kept coming in too hot. Tried to bring a cone home.

From what I drove the tires felt good, but maybe next weekend I can try again if parts arrive.

I was about to have a panic attack when my laptop wouldn't connect to the ECU. No clue what happened. It was the editing program crashing and then after opening it like 15x it finally started data logging.

I tried reflashing, but it was for sure the tps. It wouldn't read past 66 after I tried resetting the limits.

I had a spare popped it in and it started right up and drove fine.

Thankfully, I have cool, car friends very close and I live close. Got a ride home and picked up the laptop and spare tps. Definitely not leaving without those again.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
If there was one thing of all things that I wouldn't buy outside OEM Honda parts it would be electronic parts. I have a friend that does R&D for a large car manufacturer and the time and money they put into simple things like a window switch or a door lock is insane. The aftermarket parts are just copies with incredibly inferior parts. It's almost exactly like a Chinese Hummer vs a USDM Hummer. I know it's a PITA because of the way you have to get it from Honda but it's 100% worth every bit of the headaches.

If there was one thing of all things that I wouldn't buy outside OEM Honda parts it would be electronic parts. I have a friend that does R&D for a large car manufacturer and the time and money they put into simple things like a window switch or a door lock is insane. The aftermarket parts are just copies with incredibly inferior parts. It's almost exactly like a Chinese Hummer vs a USDM Hummer. I know it's a PITA because of the way you have to get it from Honda but it's 100% worth every bit of the headaches.
My memory got jogged. OEM ones only come attached to the throttle bodies so like 800 dollars probably more now.

And this one is a hall effect contactless design that provides more accurate readings over an oem wiper style.

Okay more digging and talking.

I was recommended to try a B series tps. I got it set up today with the recommended voltage reading and such. Reading voltage moving the throttle plate by hand showed even progression in voltage.

Initial drive showed, without a doubt, much smoother throttle response. Even my shifting was less jumpy. This was only a 20 minute drive. Hoping the next few days shows a case closed on the bucking throttle.

The b series tps supposedly handles vibration better.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto
Stumbled across this while looking at kmiata conversions. Starting my own so the trials and tribulations have been noted and appreciated. Doubly funny as I am in the same city as your exhaust guy!
All things considered. It truly is an "easy" swap.

And I post all the shit that goes wrong, but what I don't talk about is how I've been putting thousands of miles on the car, drive it to work every day until salt comes out, and autocross it.

Every time I drive the car, I think goddamn I love this car. Without a doubt greater than the sum of its parts. If you have the mindset of well for X dollars I can buy Y, then it's not for you.

Thread Info