3800 K & N myth

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
they're lying.

i have experienced first hand. several times, which the oil from a k&n style filter was causing false maf readings, and driveability.

what they are saying, is a properly oiled filter wont cause the problem, which is probably correct, but when they are over-oiled is when the big problem arise. im not just saying it cause i word for a dealership, im just sayin, that everyone has a gimick, and i think this is their way of re-assuring customers

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
they're lying.

i have experienced first hand. several times, which the oil from a k&n style filter was causing false maf readings, and driveability.

what they are saying, is a properly oiled filter wont cause the problem, which is probably correct, but when they are over-oiled is when the big problem arise. im not just saying it cause i word for a dealership, im just sayin, that everyone has a gimick, and i think this is their way of re-assuring customers
[/b]

My MAF problem happed a few days after I "recharged" my filter.

Hey Mike,

The reason I got the CRC MAF cleaner from the parts store was because someone on here, I'm thinking it was you, told us about it.

I usually clean it a few thousand miles after I re-oil the filter. My MAF isn't bad, but how would I know, I'm a dumbass that doesn't scan.

I'm sure most people don't do that, and some, if not most people over oil the things.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Hey Mike,

The reason I got the CRC MAF cleaner from the parts store was because someone on here, I'm thinking it was you, told us about it.

I usually clean it a few thousand miles after I re-oil the filter. My MAF isn't bad, but how would I know, I'm a dumbass that doesn't scan.

I'm sure most people don't do that, and some, if not most people over oil the things.
[/b]

Yeah, I think I posted that along time ago. It said like "adds 5HP" on the can or something.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
I've used KnN on all my cars with no problems. Just follow the cleaning directions and dont over oil it.

KnN seem to stand behind there product:

Pledge Details
K&N warrants that a properly installed and maintained K&N product will not cause harm to any engine component and will not result in a warranty denial. We will promptly reimburse the consumer for the cost of the repair if a dealership denies warranty coverage as a result of a K&N product. In order to receive reimbursement, a consumer must provide the following:

1.A written statement or repair order from the dealership in which the dealership blames the problem or warranty denial on a K&N product.
2.A written request to the dealership to send the broken part directly to K&N at K&N’s expense. We will need the evidence.
3.Your cooperation in helping us pursue our claim for reimbursement from the dealership.

K&N will then contact the dealership and insist they present evidence to support their allegation or reimburse K&N for the cost of the repair. We strive to exceed consumer expectations. Customer service can be reached at 1-800-858-3333.

I

imported_GraFFix

I didnt click the link, but Ill add my 0.2 cents in...

I think K & N filters can and do screw up MAF's, But K&N isnt at fault for this. When you first buy a K&N it is oiled correctly, its when people "recharge" and clean them and re-oil it themselves is where the trouble starts. Ive seen it many times.
Actually I was having a surging idle issue on my mustang and one day decided to pull the MAF and filter off to just check them. The filter was a little dirty so I was just going to blow all the crap off of it with the compressor. I stuck my hand inside the filter and started blowing I pulled my hand out and it was covered in oil. The previous owner over oiled the filter. After 20 minutes of high pressure air going through the filter I finally got it to where there wasnt any excess oil. Bought some MAF cleaner and my idle was like night and day.

I would say any MAF problems with a K&N filter is user error rather then the MFG.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
I didnt click the link, but Ill add my 0.2 cents in...

I think K & N filters can and do screw up MAF's, But K&N isnt at fault for this. When you first buy a K&N it is oiled correctly, its when people "recharge" and clean them and re-oil it themselves is where the trouble starts. Ive seen it many times.
Actually I was having a surging idle issue on my mustang and one day decided to pull the MAF and filter off to just check them. The filter was a little dirty so I was just going to blow all the crap off of it with the compressor. I stuck my hand inside the filter and started blowing I pulled my hand out and it was covered in oil. The previous owner over oiled the filter. After 20 minutes of high pressure air going through the filter I finally got it to where there wasnt any excess oil. Bought some MAF cleaner and my idle was like night and day.

I would say any MAF problems with a K&N filter is user error rather then the MFG.
[/b]

you blew out the filter with high pressure from a compressor??? ACK

yer not supposed to do that! :banghead:

I

imported_GraFFix

Well, Ive been doing that to my K&N's for 10 years and havent had an issue yet. Theres a ton of crap that builds up in the folds thats not going to be coming out with a normal cleaning/recharge. Regardless if your supposed to or not I dont see why it would make a difference. After all it is a air filter, so what if its coming at 90psi :)

Anyways it helped my idle issue by removing all the excess oil the previous owner put on the filter. Setting it in the sun wasnt going to help all that oil dry up at all...

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Well, Ive been doing that to my K&N's for 10 years and havent had an issue yet. Theres a ton of crap that builds up in the folds thats not going to be coming out with a normal cleaning/recharge. Regardless if your supposed to or not I dont see why it would make a difference. After all it is a air filter, so what if its coming at 90psi :)

Anyways it helped my idle issue by removing all the excess oil the previous owner put on the filter. Setting it in the sun wasnt going to help all that oil dry up at all...
[/b]

eh, in most cases blowing high pressue air like that through the filter will enlarge the air passages/holes in the filter media, thus allowing more dirt particles to get through the filter... oil may help catch them though

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
<div class='quotemain'>
Yes, improper re oiling.....thats the cause.
[/b]

If you watch the one video, they completly soak a MAF sensor in oil and no effect to the sensor at all.

Soak in oil
[/b][/quote]

right but the problem lies when oil it gradually added to the probes of the sensor, it cant distinguish whether its getting more air or not, and therefore cannot correctly adjust the engine fueling, making it possibly run bad, and/or cause an SES light.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info