🔧 BUILD Just V8 things in WNY - From FRC's to M3's to LQ4 E39's O MAI

nsogiba

Regular
Oct 29, 2020
WNY
DISCLAIMER - LONG POSTS AHEAD - get yourself a beer or coffee

Rather than having multiple threads out there for my projects, I figured I'd lump them into one to save space.

First some background...

My name is Norb, a mechanical engineer from WNY working in the aerospace industry. I've been out of the BMW game for some time, but finally in my first ///M car - and a hell of a machine at that. It's an '09 Interlagos M3 with a 6 speed, but the story of my appreciation for German iron (aluminum?) really starts back in around 2012-ish, and takes many detours along the way.

I tend to be long winded and enjoy documenting my automotive journey/adventures, and that is even more true given the current pandemic situation - so grab your favorite beverage and enjoy.

I'll sprinkle in some of my past build threads/journals here and there if anyone is interested.

In 2011 I was a freshly graduated engineer working for a mechanical contractor/design firm driving an '06 Sentra SE-R Spec V - a fun car in its own right, but somewhat didn't fit into my new lifestyle. What it did teach me via various brake jobs, wheel bearing fixes, and bolt-on installs, was that working on cars was not difficult and actually enjoyable. It also saved me a ton of money, which freed up funds to feed my automotive passion.

4053158054_e679cab1f4_b.jpg

So, with the desire for something more comfortable and sophisticated while still being fun to drive, I dove head first into the German car world and bought a 2001 BMW 540i Sport. 6 speed manual, 4.4 M62TU V8, fun options like rear sunshade, heated seats, etc. It was a great car and I drove it basically stock while replacing the cooling system and getting it back to decent mechanical condition.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588590

6537883869_f8c7a339b6_z.jpg

It did okay burnouts for an open diff. I installed an exhaust cutout and fell in love with V8s.

6999648498_5c50b1e256_b.jpg

After about a year of driving it stock, I got the itch for more power and decided to go nuts.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1575619-lq4-t56-into-2001-bmw-540i.html

22207777450_91a8709b7c_b.jpg

22406493081_41208c45b7_b.jpg

20747235240_ee913ea031_b.jpg

20942888001_8a18f02086_b.jpg

14606846514_0803dfd59b_b.jpg

I ended up owning the E39 for about 4 years and lost count of the hours spent wrenching. Eventually I came to the point where I realized that I wanted more power yet again, but doing so on the E39 would mean forced induction, and many more dollars and hours put into the car. I had been working on the same car for nearly half a decade and was frankly ready for some fresh scenery. So, once the 560i was sold, I picked up a 2000 C5 Corvette Fixed Roof Coupe, or FRC. This is the predecessor to the infamous Z06, and paved the way for the revitalization of the Corvette image from old man cruiser to ass-kicking performance machine.

Keep that acronym in mind - it's going to come up later!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-performance/1820070-2000-black-frc-progress-thread.html

This was a long term owned, higher mileage car that was driven by the same female lawyer for 14 years in nice weather. It had 104K miles and needed some minor mechanical work - perfect, since I was already familiar with the LS platform.

24390282719_5c3d470690_b.jpg

Somewhere along the way, I realized that I was sick of laying on concrete and the jackstand life, so I installed a MaxJax lift in my home garage.

24129771974_e06f27b554_b.jpg

24495392859_a2c1809aed_z.jpg

I told myself I was done taking on big automotive projects every year, and just decided to enjoy the Vette.

24926940345_9887a1f483_c.jpg

I installed some bolt on breathing mods but ultimately the itch for easy power was too great, and I installed a cammed L92/LS3 and rebuilt the remainder of the drivetrain.

30205208748_e65a7ecb3b_b.jpg

27548254608_23f9142a73_z.jpg

41377231372_84c68ec9ff_z.jpg

nsogiba

Regular
Oct 29, 2020
WNY
I drove the C5 in this configuration for another 2 years and spent some time on other "bucket list" cars, which were short term ownerships but very fun.

A 2009 ex-State Police Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (still miss this one).

42208384170_866e546b23_b.jpg

42110010025_90cd35a2ee_b.jpg

A 1998 E36 323i 5 speed vert that ended up actually being a pile of crap. The steering column was clunky, the power top needed work for it to operate normally, and it needed the whole front suspension rebuilt. I still had fun cruising with the top down all summer in 2018.

Not my photo, but identical.

AwesomeAmazingGreat-1998-BMW-3-Series-1998-bmw-323i-convertible-20182018-20192019.jpg

The E36 was painfully slow and I was itching for another fun project, something that I could not care about and just abuse. Enter the Sloppy Silverado...

45566846671_804d92f60c_b.jpg

4.8 LS V8, 2WD, short bed stepside, regular cab. Rusty and ready for action.

30625752567_070e09584d_b.jpg

While the Corvette was in storage, I spent the winter of '18-'19 working on the truck fabbing up a turbo kit, installed a rebuilt 4L80E, and modified a Mustang 8.8 axle to fit.

46650898411_b8bd912c99_z.jpg

raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.u1.jpg

Y1yVTma.jpg

Still one of the most fun yet scary vehicles I've driven. It would light the tires up at most speeds and was terrifying above 70mph. The goal was to just built a POS that did burnouts and I could go on beer runs in. It did awesome at that.

vftrqx7_3f230bd25e71903c9fd6e41a291842a66f3fcd22.jpg

vrTkOzN.jpg

E2XqBGW.jpg

With the turbo LS itch scratched, I sold the truck and focused on getting a new daily.

I had spent close to a decade in various Subaru wagons and a Pathfinder as my reliable winter vehicles, but was still thinking about how much fun I had in my old E39 when it was bone stock. I missed the precision of the shifter and the general refinement of the car. So, another BMW was in order, and the N54 happened to be on the bucket list...

It's a 2009 335Xi with a rare 6 speed, in Space Grey over Saddle Brown interior.

46650897551_c05600edfd_z.jpg

46650898011_f8f1da94b0_z.jpg

I vowed to keep the E90 bone stock, and of course that turned into an MHD flash, some springs, DCI, and some M-Parallels.

83117610_10106619588114308_1922569177214746624_o.jpg

After nearly 5 years in the Corvette, I grew tired of the harsh ride, imprecise steering and heavy clutch. It was (is?) a brute of a car with tons of power in a light chassis but was a chore to drive. My wife didn't enjoy riding in it, and once we found out she was pregnant, it really got me thinking. Since I wanted to share my automotive passion with her and our little one, the Corvette wouldn't do - no back seat for the baby and not pleasant for the wife. It was bittersweet to sell it, but ultimately the right decision.

37374630371_6316277998_b.jpg

So for the first time since 2011, I was down to owning just one car, the 335. I was ready for something a little more refined, with a backseat for the baby, and still fun to beat on when I would be driving it alone. The hunt for an E92 M3 began, and now that you know who I am and how I like to party, you can see the why I wanted the bonkers V8 with the old school German refinement.

More updates to come tomorrow!

nsogiba

Regular
Oct 29, 2020
WNY
With the Corvette gone and my lust for the E92 M3 in full swing, I began looking around for cars that fit my needs:

1. The right color in the following order of preference:

Interlagos Blue - just love this shade in the sun, very uncommon
Alpine White - classic, but to me is sometimes a bit boring
Space Grey - Understated and strong, but I already have a Space Grey E90
All the other colors like Melbourne Red, Jerez Black, etc just didn't do it for me.
I vowed to never own another (jet) black car again as the upkeep is just too painful.

2. 6 Speed manual. DCT is a great transmission, but the entire point of this car is to enjoy the analog feel of what makes BMWs great, so the DCT was out.

3. Well cared for, not beat on/abused, and mechanically unmodified. No accidents, paint work, no stories/BS.

4. Sunroofs were not an issue for me. CF roof is sexy, but this is not a track car, so the benefit of having the wind in my hair outweighed the negative of the extra bulk on the roofline.

I initially looked at a white E92 M3 in Pittsburgh but the combination of grey Novillo interior and lack of must-have options like PDC and Keyless go steered me away.

One evening a buddy sends me a link for an Interlagos Blue car with 61K miles about an hour away being sold at a small family owned dealership. It's got the tri-color painted grilles and painted reflectors, which indicates it was probably owned by an enthusiast at some point. Now, this may be a good thing, as enthusiasts are usually more sensitive to the needs of a performance car; however, they also tend to drive cars harder than Average Joe, so a PPI is even more important.

Regardless, the color and mileage were right, price wasn't awful, and all the options were there so I jumped in the 335 with my wife and took a ride to see it.

REgUrSk.jpg

lO3Xsng.jpg

LI9N1YC.jpg

dAR3yOQ.jpg

RxgKYvh.jpg

kJ1WaUI.jpg

Besides the awful grilles and some dealer applied stickers, it was very clean inside and showed almost no wear anywhere besides the shift knob. I had a PPI done with indicated some front tire wear, but no other mechanical problems. Sweet! There are some other small issues with the car, but should be easily remedied:

-Driver's seat belt extender doesn't grab the belt. Looks like a broken clip inside.

-SOS Assist is inactive. Don't care, will disable. The warning is annoying.

-Having some trouble connecting my phone to the Bluetooth system. When I try to activate the bluetooth system, it just spins and thinks forever. Long term I'd like to figure out a system where I can play music through my Android through the car.

I had a good understanding of what the car was currently, but was curious about its past especially seeing the cosmetic modifications. On a whim I was Googling the VIN to see if there was any info out there, and the name and number of a random person popped up next to it. The information lined up with the original purchase location listed on the CarFax, so I rang them up and left a VM explaining that I was looking at the car and was wondering if they had owned it at some point. I went to bed not thinking much of it.

The next day I get a call from a polite older gentleman who had not only owned the car, but was the original owner and owned it for most of its life. We spoke at length about how he enjoyed the car, had babied it and garaged it, and had never modified it or tracked it. He actually expressed regret at trading it in since the 911 that replaced it for him couldn't fit his golf clubs like the M3 did. :bellyroll Most reassuring was the fact that it had been maintained at the same dealer most of its life.

He was ultimately curious as to where the car ended up, and didn't know who had it between him and I - my best guess is that someone bought the car as a fun toy for a couple years, enjoyed it, and decided to move on to something newer.

Having that peace of mind really sealed the deal for me - I drove back out and purchased the car last weekend. E90 and E92 side by side:

79275721_10106619578034508_5226731240794619904_o.jpg

101798889_10106619578189198_8945045769388294144_o.jpg

We took the long way home up by Lake Ontario, and of course it poured rain the whole way which put a damper on opening up the taps on the car.

Initial impressions:

The steering is telepathic, the NVH is almost nonexistent, and the lack of torque between 1000-3000 rpms is tough to get used to after coming from a 6.2L LS :thumsup:

The sound of the motor singing past 6000 is life changing, albeit a bit quiet for my tastes. We'll have to see what we can do about that.

With the car safely back home, it was time to do a quick mechanical inspection.

qgeSoQd.jpg

VsagjXe.jpg

This car is super clean underneath considering it lived its entire life in the Northeast. I can't find any corrosion, which supports what the original owner said about keeping it garaged and out of the bad weather.

ALsziVt.jpg

5jORGod.jpg

I had some supplies waiting for both cars...

RZmQ5U6.jpg

ckMcugf.jpg

Off came the airbox cover, which revealed something that I actually laughed out loud at...

ihcnYeq.jpg

nLz5cUJ.jpg

Check out that date code!
obVtYa3.jpg

The airbox was fairly dusty and gritty too, so that got shop-vac'd and wiped down.

1CJWO5t.jpg

Yikes.

YaqyrtG.jpg

Much better.

YYIBkqc.jpg

As a whole the engine bay is pretty dusty but not grimy or oil at all. I'll do some before/afters of when I detail the bay.

Unfortunately FCP forgot to include an oil filter in my package, so the car has been draining oil out of the 2 sumps for a couple days now. It'll be ready to rock tomorrow.

This brings us up to speed to the present. I still can't get over how nice the car is - it is truly special to drive and couldn't feel any more different than my E90 335.

Stay tuned as I continue to go through the fluids and generally clean up the car!

Since I'm waiting on an oil filter, I knocked out a quick job today on lunch by cleaning up the exhaust tips with Wheel Cleaner and some a scotchbrite pad, followed by polishing with some mag/aluminum polish on a Powercone in a drill.

2JH0zpo.jpg

giphy.gif

H1AzuS2.jpg

nsogiba

Regular
Oct 29, 2020
WNY
When I purchased the car, I had some minor but annoying issues:

SOS - Inactive Warning
Bluetooth not working
USB and AUX plugs in center armrest had no power/signal

It was frustrating not being able to make phone calls through the car's speakers, and not being able to play music.

I'm not an electronics guy but through some research found that any interruption in the MOST fiber optic system will cause multiple failures. Similar to the Christmas light bulb effect, when one dies they all die. My symptoms weren't that bad, but I did purchase a fiber optic loop jumper that allowed me to bypass modules one by one until I stopped having problems.

Once I jumped the MULF2 module (located on the trunk floor on the right side, under the TCU module), the Bluetooth came back and I was able to pair my phone. The SOS warning also went away. Success!

TbZAh1w.jpg

zn4oLFe.jpg

That meant that there was definitely an issue with the MULF2 module, so I found a used one on ebay for $50 and installed it. The SOS warning was permanently gone, the Bluetooth capability was restored, and the biggest victory was the AUX coming back. It was so motivating seeing the AUX volume bar moving, rather than being stuck at zero like it had been for so long. The USB port in the armrest also had power again.

The only thing that was left was the 12V power port in front of the shifter - again, no power. This is a simple power port that doesn't use any modules for activation, just a simple fused circuit.

I dug open the glove box to find the fuse panel...

XD4W8uE.jpg

Consulted the diagram which was neatly folded in the cover

ngMo9Mc.jpg

Found Fuse 08, which controls accessory power

Os4Bq5E.jpg

And removed it for a closer look, compared to a known good 20A fuse.

fSPsAVT.jpg

giphy.gif

My assumption is that at some point someone dropped a coin into that power port and shorted it, which blew the fuse.

Next up on the list is some performance testing, test pipe install/modifications, and some general maintenance/inspections.

Oh, and check out this E30 M3 I saw at my workplace...

ecdKVwn.jpg

xReY0dP.jpg

Back to our regularly schedule program - I started to dig into the M3 over the weekend.

Before I dug into the modifications, I was sidelined with a minor annoyance.

RACmdnt.jpg

ril51JA.jpg

Luckily it was able to be patched, and the iDrive system let me know which tire specifically had the issue. Nice!

Next up, I dug into changing the plugs as I did not have a record of them being changed.

Start by removing the airbox cover.
3TGiP2I.jpg

csIDBfv.jpg

Followed by the entire airbox assembly.
CmOfP07.jpg

Pop off the coil cover...
rLSlVcZ.jpg

Which exposes the driver's side coils.
uYYU7Xg.jpg

I did not have any special tool for removing these, so I just grabbed under the head and pulled firmly straight up. No issue, they came right out.

The spark plug wells were clean and dry with no oil residue, indicating that the valve cover gaskets are still doing their job.
NOUC3jS.jpg

A few minutes later, all driver's side ignition stuff was out.
un2h0ep.jpg

Well, it looks like someone has been in here...non-original plugs. I was relieved to at least see they were the correct model for the S65.
9nNFsrI.jpg

Replacements were ready to go courtesy of FCP Euro - I fully plan on taking advantage of their lifetime replacement policy.
m1wBVdf.jpg

PyA7eUh.jpg

The old plugs didn't look that old, but it's nice to start fresh and know what you have in there.
HVMdrHL.jpg

The process was similar on the other side. #8 was tricky, but doable. Certainly not difficult, I've done a lot worse plug changes. My C5 Corvette was a lot less comfortable, and the rear 3 cylinders on a Toyota V6 are tougher as well. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

qH0iAgS.jpg

To remove the passenger side coil cover, the coolant reservoir had to be unbolted and moved aside (no hose breaks necessary). Rinse and repeat coil removal.

w8IBF7I.jpg

If you can change your oil or replace the air filter, you can do this job.

giphy.gif

With the basic maintenance items done (plugs, oil, air filter) and the minor annoyances fixed (SOS, Bluetooth, AUX), I could focus on some fun modifications.

Remove aluminum belly pan and transmission undertray.

sqdMLwM.jpg

All fasteners that are removed are threaded back into their home to prevent being lost, and to make reassembly a breeze. Don't be that guy searching through the pile of bolts on the ground trying to figure out what goes where. Also a lot faster than bagging and labeling stuff.

BMb0xn3.jpg

Locate primary cats.

VwV6tdH.jpg

TARGET ACQUIRED

giphy.gif

mR26Tah.jpg

Carefully disconnect all oxygen sensor harnesses. BMW has a great system of clips and brackets that keep the wiring up away from the exhaust.

gAld9Rw.jpg

Remove the sensors from the exhaust while it's still attached to the car.

hFmlkyw.jpg

Time to party.

giphy.gif

U8dKr2v.jpg

giphy.gif

The cats are removed and laid next to the new VRSF test pipes. I also always lay the oxygen sensors in the orientation they are installed in the car, so that they aren't accidentally mixed up side to side.

mdhorI1.jpg

On my prior couple cars, I ran catless exhausts and eventually got sick of the smell. On the M3, I wanted to enjoy the easy power gains of test pipes, but wanted to have something reversible in case the smell got to me (and my wife/daughter). I started with some VRSF test pipes, since I knew I'd be cutting them up.

e90-s65-tp.jpg

The test pipes were trimmed and fitted to 2.5" V-band connections for easy swapping later on in case I wanted to reinstall the stock cats.

dDYz6Kt.jpg

Lots of mocking up and tacking later, followed by finish welding...no pics here, I just got in the zone, turned up the music and cranked it out.

cAAYObA.jpg

7juySkN.jpg

No stacks of dimes here but my welds are strong and functional.

gOp6YNz.jpg

Buttoning up the underside with the undertrays, ran into a small snag with the oxygen sensors.

gtR3Wzj.jpg

l0CtCwg.jpg

A quick trim with the death wheel made adequate clearance on the heatshield and it all went together nicely.

Finally, I wrapped up the install with a Stage 2 Tune from Alex at Alpine.

-93 Octane Stage 2 (primary cat delete)
-Cold start delete
-Servotronics (in M-Mode only)
-Top speed limiter removal

I may go with burbles later on, we'll see.

cQmuXb1.jpg

GobzSgk.jpg

Just like when I flashed the MHD tune onto my 335i, all sorts of nonsense pops up on the screens.

Nh1YyJj.jpg

ExlOGfF.jpg

giphy.gif

nsogiba

Regular
Oct 29, 2020
WNY
August 2020:

It has been an incredibly busy month. We welcomed our first child into the world, she’s a healthy baby girl that is taking up most of my time.

I have gotten a couple chances to get out and put some miles on the M3 to blow off steam and relax.

9qCaziu.jpg

zeVOd8C.jpg

nhJHBw9.jpg

Quick throwback to 2 years ago this month when I had my '09 Police Interceptor, and found a $350 set of C5 Corvette specific BBS LM wheels. They looked great but ultimately needed a refinish and I flipped them for a quick profit. I really wish I had kept the Vic...

0fP22Mg.png

S8kD658.png

Anyhow - I am a firm believer in using fun cars to their full extent, so every fun car I buy usually gets a trailer hitch in order to haul my bike rack and tow a small trailer for track days, Home Depot runs, whatever. My Corvette towed great, with the towing package I installed (more power, stronger brakes, oil cooler, LOL).

Not only does it prevent me from having to use my wife's Rav4, but I love the looks I get and pissing off purists: "You're not supposed to tow with that car!!!!!!"

LOL, hold my beer. These cars are more than adequate for small loads.

42293534894_444a2ea9aa_b.jpg

42293535994_8b3488276e_b.jpg

31248046161_ddf27ce6b4_b.jpg

IMG-20200312-184710145-HDR.jpg

IMG-20200312-184726050-HDR.jpg

Really I want to just get my bike back on there so I can start riding again, with the gyms still being closed.

1COhikU.jpg

1tk5fWn.jpg

Back to the M3. Up on the lift, remove the axleback. Man, I can't get over how squeaky clean this thing is for a NE car...

HLeyCDc.jpg

Very tempting not to modify this exhaust while it’s out, but cooler heads must prevail.

S83uq1C.jpg

The plan is to install a hidden hitch setup that has a vertical receiver behind the bumper cover. When I want to use the hitch I will install a 90 degree adapter, like this concept.

306-x7375_11_1000.jpg

The problem is that nobody makes a hitch like this for the M3, so I bought a generic E9X hitch knowing it would have to be modified, and immediately proceeded to cut it up to clear the exhaust tips and bumper mounts.

FcFx4gj.jpg

So after a few nights of cutting and tacking, here’s where I’m at right now – one vertical receiver hitch for an E92 M3.

llcOfSy.jpg

ekGiBnW.jpg

VNbNKNo.jpg

I should have everything mocked up later this week and drop it off at my welder’s for final welding as my little 110V MIG isn’t up to the task of burning in the thick steel.

As I mentioned in my original posts I was pretty active in the LS community over the last 10 years. The Vette I sold didn’t fit my lifestyle anymore but I always loved the bang for the buck aspect of the performance. Most fun of all was my turbo truck, which was a basic 4.8 combo with a turbo and a reliable as a rock 4L80E.

Browsing Marketplace over a cup of coffee, I saw a complete LQ4/4L80E for a decent price about 15 minutes away. Since the hitch on the M3 was done, I figured it was the perfect opportunity to test it out.

31JTFsO.jpg

dbNz3G5.jpg

oJQ3Uvq.jpg

YpbGxis.jpg

QIxn97T.jpg

sN0JULK.jpg

J6iLiQj.jpg

Back home in the garage, I usually put some straps around the lift arms and use the lift to pick everything up and attach to engine stand.

rqDgCDf.jpg

jehE88V.jpg

The M3 pulled the trailer great, I estimate it was about 1000 lbs between the engine, trans, and the trailer itself.

ExyBJVl.jpg

Don't worry, I am not swapping the M3, been there done that. Thinking I might do an old cop car with a big turbo, fun street car that wastes tires at highway speeds

September 2020:

Quick update - I dropped the car off at Autocouture Motoring in NJ to have the rod bearings serviced, and I'm glad I did. Matt and his team were courteous and efficient - I'm picking the car up this Friday and driving it back home.

Note: Mileage on these bearings is 64,000. I've owned the car for about 3,000 of those miles.

Nsiw2Js.jpeg

p7w2kgR.jpeg

1JeOab7.jpeg

Sbs20pX.jpeg

UcVu8u1.jpeg

aKRpYZx.jpeg

lwktlew.jpeg

RCmFNGe.jpeg

M1S1tCN.jpeg

UpImsEW.jpeg

In terms of future maintenance, I will continue to change the oil every 5,000 miles with Liqui-Moly 10W60. Since I have a clean slate now, I may even start using the Blackstone analysis as I plan on keeping the car long term.

nsogiba

Regular
Oct 29, 2020
WNY
The blue is beautiful on the that M3 and always thought M3's were V6.

Love the write up, welcome!!!!

Thanks. They were straight sixes for a long time (92-2006?), the S65 V8 was only offered in the 08-13 M3, so it's a special motor and car.

Soooooooooooooo obviously I have a thing for cop cars, I had the blue 2009 NYSP CVPI that I owned for the summer of 2018 and for some reason fell in love with it. I had grand plans to LS turbo sloppy swap it but ultimately sold it for other junk as mentioned above. But this fall I was itching for a project to blow off steam, so this happened in September of 2020:

2011 Interceptor in my favorite shade of NY State Police Trooper Blue. Trak-Lok axle, most likely 3.27 gears.

I actually looked at a 2009 that the guy was also selling, but between a sloppy repaint and generally trashed interior I passed on that one.

This one has a solid body, a few superficial rust spots with solid metal underneath that I'll fix. The paint should clean up with a polish and the interior isn't too bad, just needs a heavy vacuum and wash.

The 4.6 pulls strong and I was told the trans was recently rebuilt. Doesn't matter to me since those are both coming out, but would be nice to recoup some funds by selling those. It also has new brakes up front, and snow tires with decent tread on them.

First up is ripping off the light bar, and boy oh boy you guys should hear the deer whistle on this thing that turns on with the parking/headlights.

More to come!

ULuwLk4.jpeg

f1lLKRD.jpeg

E7in7QJ.jpeg

KKQT65o.jpeg

ytR4CdV.jpeg

fQSfRt8.jpeg

NwJbL4C.jpeg

KeROJ1t.jpeg

K8RuY24.jpeg

8Fdjru3.jpeg

My favorite part:
xd8RCWy.jpeg

Slowly but surely making progress. I decided to postpone the cam/turbo setup until this winter/spring and just get the thing on the road, I may even drive it through the winter as it came with nice snows. With a tune on the stock LQ4 it should be about 290whp, plenty of fun to burn tires for the time being. I did rig up the 6.0 to run on the engine stand and it sounds healthy.

It didn’t help that the 80E I bought ended up being totally smoked, obviously went into meltdown at some point. I think it starved for fluid as the pan was dented and the filter was cracked in places.

XyfBeri.jpeg[
[/img]

eRaUKFa.jpeg

p06riYM.jpeg

That put a pretty sour taste in my mouth but it is what it is, so I have another 80E on the way from a yard with a warranty this time, hopefully should turn out a lot nicer.

While I wait on the trans I have been chipping away at the other stuff.

Factory cats cut out, sold to recoup some funds.

RozVGFk.jpeg

Pulled out the 4.6/4R70W which is for sale. Motor runs great, tranny was shifting funny.

Cw1Q6dy.jpeg

ieDJ9GG.jpeg

I got it covered up with a tarp, it will probably sit there until somebody buys it or get tired of looking at it and just scrap it. I don’t even know what these things are worth anyways

obpXY3H.jpeg

Between work and spending time with our 3 month old daughter I don’t take nearly as many pictures as I used to. I just get in the zone and make the most of the hours that I have. The engine bay was pretty grimy but not too bad. Powerwashed it and cleaned a ton of leaves out of the cowl drain.

64uGa0w.jpeg

fcbqAAa.jpeg

At this point the chassis is pretty much ready for the new drivetrain to drop in. I pulled the 4.6 engine mounts off the boat anchor and installed them onto the 6.0 using the CJ Pony Parts 4.6 to LS adapter plates. Had to open up the forward bolt holes, not a huge deal but slightly annoying for something advertised as bolt in.

That ride height and wheel gap with no motor! I don’t plan on lowering this one, need all the ground clearance I can get for the jumps this thing will see.

0tepLCO.jpeg

rSSVK70.jpeg

Got the F-body pickup tube, windage tray and oil pan installed also. She’s ready to party.

cCeu2My.jpeg

No pics, but got the following done too:

4L80E yoke installed onto P71 aluminum driveshaft, replaced both u-joints too

New rear rotors installed, 8.8 pinion seal replaced, diff cover and bolts wire wheeled and painted

Powerwashed the radiator, condenser, tons of gunk in the bottom.

Lots of parts rolling in also, PS lines, rad hoses, the usual accessory junk to get it going. Hopefully more progress and pics to come soon. My deadline for burnouts is Halloween.

I sourced another 80E locally from a yard this time with a 30 day warranty, and dropped it off at a local builder to take a peek inside and make sure it’s good to go. I’ll still be putting the HD2 kit in that one. Not much left to do, I really need to get the trans back so I can slap it all in. I am running out of “prep work” on the chassis.

While I waited on the trans, I decided to plop in the motor from the front to see if it lined up with the crossmember pedestals. First attempt was a no-go due to the cherry picker hitting the front bumper.

ZH74Ksq.jpeg

I forgot how massive this boat is. Might make it easier to pull the front clip, but why make additional work for myself…just go in from the side.

EnioJ8t.jpeg

The stock steel wheels on this thing were rusty and gross and had nice snow tires on them. I picked up a spare set of 17s in nice shape, rattle canned them gloss black, and mounted up a cheap used set of Michelin’s off some Mazda SUV that just so happened to be the exact same size as the Ford. Can’t wait to boil these tires off.

kaurPAw.jpeg

The M3 continues to be a great work truck, hauling transmissions and wheel sets like they’re not there. For anyone that is curious, this setup is great compared to driving a pickup all the time and getting abysmal fuel economy. Ok, the M3 gets 18mpg, but at least it’s way more fun to drive than a truck.

rlNPkIg.jpeg

Once I had opened up the slots on the crossmember, the motor dropped right in. The F-body oil pan is close to hitting, but clears.

x5cDwyQ.jpeg

In1XvA9.jpeg

From a brief mockup it’s looking like truck manifolds will fit like they were meant to be there. I will hack off the 3 bolt flanges and weld on some v-bands, which will be handy when I go turbo next year.

I still need to figure out power steering lines, rad hoses, transmission cable, and the fuel system. I have decent game plans for all those and will document as I get there.

Bonus Pics: Hauling home the 6.0 and original shit 80E

31JTFsO.jpeg

YpbGxis.jpeg

Houston, we have an update!

I got tired of wiring and general mechanical work so I pulled off the rear trunk plug where the antenna used to be...so that I could install a junkyard antenna off a GM car. It serves no purpose and is totally nonfunctional but completes the look of the Covid Cruiser as I've begun to affectionately call it.

Vy3cJ0U.jpg

Magic eraser wheel continues to save fingernails around the world

mSX3E8M.jpg

IRl3D7s.jpeg

6y24EPo.jpeg

W1cXqTs.jpeg

Mocking up the harness to figure out lengths and routing. I'm using an HPI Harness I bought on Amazon for under $300, it's a turn key unit. For the price it looks to be of nice quality and the customer support has been great. I can't imagine ever depinning and reworking a factory harness when you can just buy one of these, it's a fantastic value.

4sAfryK.jpg

Once I got everything just laid out and connected I tried to start the car, it wouldn't crank at all even though the Ford starter wiring hooked up directly to the GM starter. After some head scratching and reading I realized the Ford starting circuit uses the PRNDL switch (MLPS or Manual Lever Position Switch in Ford speak) to ensure the trans is in park before it allows current to flow to the starter so you don't accidentally run over your dog. My solution was to remove the entire engine harness from the 4.6 and cut out any wire that wasn't plugged into the MLPS - essentially thinning out the entire harness down to a MLPS bypass. Bolted the MLPS to the front header panel, plugged it in, and voila she cranks.

At this point there wasn't much left to prevent me from starting it, so I hotwired the fuel pump by jumping pins at the Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM) in the trunk (Ford really loves their 4 letter acronyms). Motor fired and sounded good, but putting the trans in Drive did nothing as the car didn't move in any gear.

So, off came the trans pan...which got hung up on the crossmember and dumped everything all over my floor. Thank god for epoxy flooring and a drain.
X5jLAU3.jpg

I found that the snap ring for the boost valve in the HD2 kit was loose and shot out, trans was bypassing internally. Must not have seated with my shitty snap ring pliers, so I ground down the tips of some needlenose which worked far better.

D8WvUmt.jpeg

Once that got reseated she made pressure and this was the result:

Ka8EGAA.jpg

uTotKbY.jpg

fLHAmtR.jpg

The cluster is laughably angry, this is going down the Thruway at 80mph:

nSRYBdF.jpg

nsogiba

Regular
Oct 29, 2020
WNY
I took it out initially to shake it down and it was a DOG. I know the stock truck tunes suck balls with no ignition timing and no PE, especially the Express file, but this was just boring. So once I verified no fluids were gushing out of it I hooked up the VCM Scanner and logged a couple highway pulls...The thing was running anywhere between 8-12 degrees timing at WOT, shifts were set at 5200, no PE so it was super lean, etc.

Once I turned on the PE and copied over the ignition table from a stock Corvette file, it did a LOT better. However, there was still a miss down low and a P0200 code (Injector Circuit). So inspecting the harness and injector adapters closer found this:

Fo0qCn9l.jpg

Rage.jpg

I shoved it back in and it's not moving, even though the retaining snap clip inside the connector seems to be worn out. It'll be fine for now and is just another reason to throw a SS2 and bigger injectors in it.

Drove it for a week or so, first impressions are good. Lots of mid range torque, but definitely runs out of breath above 5000 rpm. The Express Van tune is hilariously bad. Besides only calling for something like 10 degrees of timing at WOT, it was shifting the trans at 5200. Just by putting some timing in it and raising the shift rpm points the car was a new animal. That being said, I immediately got bored with the power level. Let's take apart a running car. PAC 1218s are already installed, going in is a SS2 cam and Siemens 80# injectors.

Got sick of doing the "pull the starter, install the lock tool, then do the reverse later on" trick to hold the crank pulley, so I made my own lock. Works awesome, will be doing it this way every time from now on.

b2rZF5J.jpeg

Traditional picture of a new cam on my kitchen counter, been doing it every other year or so since 2014

ZYW1xtF.jpeg

Going to also clean up some stuff that I wasn't happy with. Upper rad hose wasn't supported and was flopping around, hitting the tensioner pulley, and blocking the path of any sort of intake.

Cam swap is almost done, just need to button up the injector swap and cooling system, then comes weeks of cursing while I try to tune it!

That brings us to today - holy shit that's a lot of posts and pictures. If you've read this far thanks for hanging around - I promise there are burnouts coming to reward your patience.

nsogiba

Regular
Oct 29, 2020
WNY
God damn. THIS is how you introduce yourself to TCG.

Love the toys, welcome!

tenor.gif

I thought you had an intro post earlier. I remember the Crown Vic because I remember posting why you towed things with the BMW when there was a Dodge Durango next to Crown Vic.

Anyway, I approve of V8 things, especially with they involve GM V8 things. :D
That'd be me - figured I'd consolidate.

LS all the things
tenor.gif

Sweet car. I had an interlagos e92 that was heavily modded. My seatbelt grabber was also broke lol.
Mine was supercharged, custom exhaust, lowered and some cosmetic goodies. The car was awesome.

Bet it ripped with the blower. They are awesome cars, I am pretty much done modifying mine other than maybe some cosmetics like wheels. It's too nice to ruin, haha.

Hey I recognize your FRC from Corvette Forum. I came across a couple of your threads when I was looking for my FRC.

That's me...miss that car sometimes, it's now somewhere in Ohio around Columbus, new owner is enjoying it. It had a big brappy cam and sounded best when straight piped.

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

nsogiba

Regular
Oct 29, 2020
WNY
Got the pig idling decently, but fighting some issues with the AEM wideband. I played with the VE table to get it started, and it was running so rich that it was struggling to idle and was choking black smoke out the back. The whole time the wideband is reading dead lean ( - - - ). I cut the VE table 70% and it idled far better, and the black smoke is gone - obviously it was too rich. However, wideband still reads lean. Any thoughts?

nsogiba

Regular
Oct 29, 2020
WNY
Got the pig idling decently, but fighting some issues with the AEM wideband. I played with the VE table to get it started, and it was running so rich that it was struggling to idle and was choking black smoke out the back. The whole time the wideband is reading dead lean ( - - - ). I cut the VE table 70% and it idled far better, and the black smoke is gone - obviously it was too rich. However, wideband still reads lean. Any thoughts?
Threw in a new wideband sensor - it's reading again. Looks like I had a dud out of the AEM box. There were no markings on the sensor body itself, perhaps a knockoff. Shame. Off to VE land!

nsogiba

Regular
Oct 29, 2020
WNY
Been driving this thing for a few weeks now with the new cam and beating it up. Friday after work I met a buddy to cruise over to another friend's for some beers, he is following me in his N55 E70 X5. As I pass him doing about 80 (moderate throttle) there's an explosion under the car and I lose forward thrust. Ruh roh...I knew right away it was the driveshaft. Stock aluminum P71 shaft with brand new u-joints.

I was laughing my ass off watching the remainder of the shaft slide into the ditch like a spinning frisbee.

DW5X2zO.jpeg

Y2VHcFE.jpeg

Damage is surprisingly minimal for how violent it sounded, probably due to how soft the aluminum is.

IzBoinL.jpeg

CnBFvse.jpeg

Some minor marks on the body
4H90kip.jpeg

slip yoke took a beating, will probably replace it
SM0g7z4.jpeg

Exhaust got whacked, but as you can see it wasn't exactly robust to begin with
5KZoMJU.jpeg

After a quick tow home I just hopped in my M3 and still got to enjoy some brews with the boys.
BA2jm3a.jpeg

I'm going to call Denny's driveshaft today for advice on a replacement. Thinking steel will be stronger but I'm concerned about it having a lower critical speed. I'd like this thing to be able to hit 140 comfortably, don't need to go faster than that.

• Wow
Reactions: IDAFC21

nsogiba

Regular
Oct 29, 2020
WNY
Christmas 2020:
Get the new driveshaft in and it drives fine with no vibrations, but I'm hearing what sounds like the starter sticking when it's cold started and some marbles in a can noise. I put it up on the lift and go to remove the bellhousing cover when I notice something that just made me laugh. I pulled the trans.
bMXT6FN.jpg

kdqnhHM.jpg

Qy20nH3.jpg

QnCOfWc.jpg

I had planned on pulling the tranny in the spring anyways to install a new converter with a higher stall to suit the future turbo, so this just accelerated those plans. The trans is out being welded up right now, I think it should be fine. Time will tell. Full send!
Now it's just a matter of waiting on the converter to come in from Circle D, and enjoying the wonderful weather (24" of snow right there per my scientific yard stick)
4xcgl3W.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: IDAFC21

Thread Info