just picked up some craftsman tools

clint282cc

Reaction score
got a $200 gift car for x-mas. went to sears to see what they had. my problem is I HAVE LOTS of wrenches, plenty of screw drivers, and all the allens i would ever need but i have NO sockets, ratches, extensions. so i wanted a kit that had a majority of sockets. and i wanted everything from 1/4 drive to 1/2 from 7/32 to 1" deep, shallow, 12pt, 6pt, metric and standard. most kits come with the cheap wrenches but this kit came with full polished ratchet wrenches too! so looks like ill add those to the collection i already have.

the kit i bought. normally $400, paid $200
Craftsman 309-Piece Mechanic's Tool Set: Love Your Job at Sears

now my problem is storing them. since there are so many (3 driver sizes PLUS 12pt/6pt and metric/strandard) i need a shit load of storage for them.

i WANT these...

Amazon.com: Lisle 40900 Red 1/2" Magnetic Socket Holder: Home Improvement

but my buddy gave me one set of these

Grip 6 pc Socket Organizer Tray Set - Amazon.com

i still need to buy a SECOND set of those^ just to have enough space... so i would need 6 sets of the one i like to make them all work. that would be $150 for storage of $200 worth of sockets HAHAH

what does everyone else use for socket storage?

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Reaction score
i just throw them in a drawer. have the ones i use most on one of them cheap ass metal strips. i would rather spend a minute or two looking for what i need rather the $150 to store them all nicely

OP
C

clint282cc

Reaction score
lol fuuuck that. in the middle of working on a car i can not stand spending a minute looking for each socket haha.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Reaction score
That set is tempting for that price. I have the same problem as you, lots of wrenches, recently bought a nice screw driver set. But I have a lot of sockets that have been lost it seems.

We have a nice socket rack at Menards, but I can't find it on the website. Its the type that is a tray then has the peg that you put the socket over.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
That set is tempting for that price. I have the same problem as you, lots of wrenches, recently bought a nice screw driver set. But I have a lot of sockets that have been lost it seems.

We have a nice socket rack at Menards, but I can't find it on the website. Its the type that is a tray then has the peg that you put the socket over.
I was just thinking about the same ones from menards. Pretty cheep and work great. I keep them in the top of my tool cart

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Reaction score
OP
C

clint282cc

Reaction score

I'll have to check them out. Do you know a brand name so I can look them up?

LOOK FOR HANSENS SOCKET TRAYS, THEY ARE PROBABLY THE BEST ON THE MARKET AND ARE PRETTY DAMN CHEAP
Those are the type I've used before and like a lot but they are double the price of the set I already have and basically the same thing.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
I just googled the hansens and they are the same kind as the ones we seen at menards. I think they were $10 each at menards when I seen them there last week

Burtonrider10022

Reaction score
Menards has Hansen under $10 often. Sears has Hansen trays on their website, if you wait for a good sale and apply some coupon codes you can get them pretty cheap.

If you want really, really good quality socket trays that you'll never have to replace in your lifetime: Westling Machine - Milaca, MN

muskie

Reaction score
Just get a couple scraps of 2x4 and some brass screws. Then you can label each socket. withing 15 minutes of working on something they will be gone and never make it back into the rack no matter how hard you try.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
I just put shelf liner stuff in my drawers and set everything up. Nothing slides around and its easy enough to find when they're segregated by drawers (3/8, 1/2, 1/4, and open ended).

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have all 6 Hansen trays. Great quality and love them. Fit in the tool box as well.

scottr126

Reaction score
I also use the Hansen organizers. I use them at home and at the shop, they work great and fit great in the tool box.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Reaction score
Those are the ones we have at Menards. And I just thought of this as I posted in another thread, there is a bag sale starting this weekend. You gotta bring your own bag from the paper, but its 20% I belive.

OP
C

clint282cc

Reaction score
i went to menards. had hansen. they were around $15 each. i need 12 of them... thats A LOT of doe for $200 of sockets. im just ganna go the cheap route and get the ones my buddy gave me. they are a set of 6 for $25. basically the same as the hansen.

Grip 6 pc Socket Organizer Tray Set - Amazon.com

Burtonrider10022

Reaction score
I did not know Hansen was made in USA, but I did just check and you're right. However, if you scroll up a bit, my suggestion was the trays from Westling Machine, which are 100% made in USA by a small business owner. So, s00ls, he was talking to you. :io:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom