Just Know That There's a Pontiac Grand Prix Limo Driving Michigan's Streets

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
qddmzk9okjxbj4cgcjfq.png

https://jalopnik.com/just-know-that-theres-a-pontiac-grand-prix-limo-driving-1831347692

I don’t know why it exists, how it exists, or frankly, what the heck is going on in this world in general, but I do know that roaming the streets of Michigan is a seventh generation Pontiac Grand Prix limousine. An actual one.

I don’t know why I’m telling you this, as there have been a number of different Pontiac Grand Prix limos documented over the years, but this one,—sent in by a reader named Matt—is in my neck of the woods in Auburn Hills, Michigan, and now I want to understand why it exists.

I’m not hating on the Grand Prix—it was a fairly powerful mid-size sedan (hell, MotorWeek called it a “Pushrod Powerhouse”)—but why someone thought a front-drive, non-luxury car based on GM’s ancient W Platform needed to be stretched and limousine-ified, I’m not sure anyone will ever truly know.

The idea of finding a powerful-ish car with the engine right over the drivetrain does make sense in terms of packaging efficiency, as only the exhaust and not a driveshaft will need to snake their way under the car’s floor. But other than that, I have no clue why that car—whose middle section appears to be a different shade of white than its front and rear bits—exists.

I’m glad it does, though. Weird cars are good cars.

The real question, how do those rear strut towers look? Am I right?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I feel if these cars were awd they'd get eaten up. I'd love to have a gxp with awd.

LOL! The 4T65E is "nannied" with enough torque management to choke a horse with the 5.3. Now you wanna add some form of a transfer case to distribute the power to the back wheels on top of that? :D Not to mention space constraints.

The one thing I do dislike about our Impala SS. You put it in gear and to accelerate from a stop, there is so much TCC slip and TM to cushion the initial engagement to simply start moving.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info