Just got 1/4" Dewalt Impact driver 18v - have questions.

TCG Member 5219

Reaction score
If I want to use bigger drive sockets, is this what I need??

Also would this 1/4 18v driver be ok to pull off log nuts with? Or is that too big of a job for it? I know there are 24v ones with bigger drives, but I didnt want something that big.

This is what I have.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
i dont think you'll get lug nuts broke free with that

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
You'll just break a lot of the adapters. Breaking them loose first and using this to zip them off and on will work.

muskie

Reaction score
You are going to lose a bunch of torque with those adapters. They will break lug nuts loose but not ideal.

Would have been better off going with one that already had a 3/8" or 1/2" anvil.

TCG Member 5219

Reaction score
Thats ok. But as long as I can put them back on with it, and get them close. It should be money for doing exhausts and other automotive jobs like brakes and what not I hope.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
that it will be good for

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
You'll just break a lot of the adapters. Breaking them loose first and using this to zip them off and on will work.
This is what I do with my 1/4 inch one. But yea, it wont break them loose

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'd just use it to zip stuff on and off and not for any real torquing. A 3/8 impact would be better for what it sounds like you want and a 1/2" for lugs and other larger torque values.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I prefer to adapt down with my 1/2" drive and have plenty of power when I need it, mine is 350ftlbs and often not enough for what I need

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
My 18V Ryobi driver works well with 3/8ths adapters, definitely not enough for wheels.

My 1/2 gun works perfect for wheels however.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
I had a Chicago Pnuematic 3/8's" unit and most lug torque (which is usually around 100 ft/lbs), it would struggle with, but would eventually break them loose. Problem was, you wore out the battery and would have to go recharge.

I quickly dumped that and bought a Crapsman 1/2" C3 cordless impact (this guy to be exact);

But quickly dumped the standard 19.2v battery for an upgraded Lithium-Ion XCP battery (this guy), which also prompted me to have to get a new charger, but...

At the end of the day, you can bust all 24 of my Suburban's lugs, torqued to 125 lb/ft (if I recall), and still not need to recharge. So it's a breeze on all 6 lugs @ 100lb/ft on the Caddy or [email protected] on the GTO, Impala or either Chrysler appliances.

Then I can use the other Craftsman C3 devices (my cordless drill, blower, etc), all with the same battery.

At 200 lb/ft of torque it is NOT the most powerful cordless out there, but will work fine for the most. DeWalt's are nice units, I have a 19v Cordless DeWalt drill too, but I think what you have is simply overmatched for what you want.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
My newest mid torque 1/2inch Milwaukee is like 600 ft lbs

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
Which is too much for regular vehicles. Snappin' studs.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
600ft lbs :wackit:

Wouldn't mind something burlier for truck lugs (since everything is 140ft lbs and mine struggles) and getting pinion nuts/u bolts/etc broke loose.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
what you bought is like a screw gun. it will have minimal impact abilities and is useless and probably good for dash work which is what i use my little snap on guy for.

you'd never find an impact gun with adapters. just an anvil

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
Which is too much for regular vehicles. Snappin' studs.
3 torque settings... i couldnt wait for the bluetooth model any longer. that model allows you to set custom torque settings.

my 3/8s and mid torque 1/2

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
the batteries that came with the 3/8s are from 2014. one batt lasts about a week. i got 3 more batts with my 1/2. not even opening one of them.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
my 3/8s is used daily on every truck. mostly on setting 2.

i did a roto on my truck, 32 lugs @ 150 ft lbs setting 2, then it sat for a week, then i did a crank dampener, then sat another week, than some exhaust work and now its down one notch

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=10801]Ti28[/MENTION] also swings off Milwaukee

Intel

Reaction score
I have the 1/2 milwaukee. It is overkill for my use but I love being able to swap wheels in the driveway super quick without running an air line out to it.

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
Fuck no. His Mustang has a torque spec of 150 ft/lbs for the lug nuts. No way is that 1/4" drive going to do that.

Like mentioned, bust the lug nuts loose with a wrench or breaker bar. Then use this to zip the lug nuts on and off. Final torque with a 1/2" torque wrench.

The 1/4" is handy for light duty work. It isn't going to bust off most hardware. It just isn't that strong.

Bryan, if you are interested, I have a 3/8 & 1/2 drivers I don't use anymore. I changed to the 20v stuff. Would cut you a good deal on the stuff if you want to add to your collection. They are almost new. I have plenty of batteries as well.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have the 1/2 milwaukee. It is overkill for my use but I love being able to swap wheels in the driveway super quick without running an air line out to it.
Then you have the full size? I didn't want that, hence why I got the mid torque

TCG Member 5219

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer Pratt. I dont have enough room for a ton of tools yet. But thats changing soon. As for the info, thanks all for your comments. Looks like I would want atleast a 3/8" drive impact for lugs. The 1/4" will be nice for all the rest as far as I can gather. I can see it being a big help when I switch out my catback soon or install something else.........

I have three batteries for it too. To of the new gen ones and a single older 18v from my older Dewalt 18v drill. That drill has been awesome over the past 11 years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom