NWI
giphy.gif

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
If you have to resort to "that was all in his head" to try to make sense of events, then you didn't understand the movie.
Yeah, i mean I guess I do look for some sort of plotline and progression, not a movie full of clips (some real, some imagined) that prove that arthur is, in fact, mentally ill. That doesn't do much for me.

I think the last scene would have been great if it actually happened and rallied all of the other gotham plebs around arthur, but given the fact that he didn't go on TV and shoot Murray, it just makes you question the whole ending.

Reactions: DEEZUZ

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
They also pulled a complete 180 for Thomas wayne. In the nolan movies he was a philanthropist that paid to build a monorail and created the Wayne Foundation whose goal was to reduce poverty, help cover healthcare expenses, fund the youth club or whatever it was called (i think that was referenced in TDK rises), etc

That total direction change wasn't believable, nor was it believable that Wayne would take his family out on the night of riots against the rich. So again...aside from joaquin's acting....not a great movie

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Yeah, i mean I guess I do look for some sort of plotline and progression, not a movie full of clips (some real, some imagined) that prove that arthur is, in fact, mentally ill. That doesn't do much for me.

I think the last scene would have been great if it actually happened and rallied all of the other gotham plebs around arthur, but given the fact that he didn't go on TV and shoot Murray, it just makes you question the whole ending.

Except that is exactly what happened. Nothing in the movie indicates that any of that was in his head. The "he imagined it" is the worst fan theory to come out of any movie EVER. I've had to say this in this thread like 1000000x, but I guess I'll say it again. The movie went out of its way to show *explicitly* the events that happened that he imagined. They did this for the benefit of the audience, and only the benefit of the audience. At no point is there even a *hint* that any of the major events (ESPECIALLY the talk show) did not happen.

So again, you didn't understand it. If you thought it was a bad movie, then cool that's your opinion. But to base it on something that is obviously false is a bit ridiculous.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
They also pulled a complete 180 for Thomas wayne. In the nolan movies he was a philanthropist that paid to build a monorail and created the Wayne Foundation whose goal was to reduce poverty, help cover healthcare expenses, fund the youth club or whatever it was called (i think that was referenced in TDK rises), etc

That total direction change wasn't believable, nor was it believable that Wayne would take his family out on the night of riots against the rich. So again...aside from joaquin's acting....not a great movie

This movie has zero connections to the Nolan universe other than having characters with the same name.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Except that is exactly what happened. Nothing in the movie indicates that any of that was in his head. The "he imagined it" is the worst fan theory to come out of any movie EVER. I've had to say this in this thread like 1000000x, but I guess I'll say it again. The movie went out of its way to show *explicitly* the events that happened that he imagined. They did this for the benefit of the audience, and only the benefit of the audience. At no point is there even a *hint* that any of the major events (ESPECIALLY the talk show) did not happen.

So again, you didn't understand it. If you thought it was a bad movie, then cool that's your opinion. But to base it on something that is obviously false is a bit ridiculous.
I'd hoped it was a real scene, but MAN did it seem unrealistic. They bring an awkward loser on a talk show for a full segment, they let him on with a full clown mask, there is not much of a response of fear when he says he killed the 3 people on the train (Murray even continues interviewing him and pressing him for answers), etcetc.

The scenes with his "girlfriend" had the same totally unrealistic vibe, and they end up being imagined

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
This is a matter of perspective though. The Nolan movies were in a Batman hero perspective. The Joker was from a empathy with Joker perspective. In real life, even the nicest of philanthropists, have people out there that likely think they are total assholes (they probably are assholes in some aspects of their lives, we all have been at times).

This part isn't believable at all...but falls into the allowance of suspension of disbelief for these kinds of movies.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info