May 23, 2007
Elgin

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Oh hey, now we're getting a 5th. All aboard the beaten horse train.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin

While director Chad Stahelski has been behind the camera of every John Wick movie and Keanu Reeves is obviously the face of the franchise, the whole thing began with Derek Kolstad. The screenwriter wrote the original screenplay and concocted this entire world of international assassins, cool hotels, mysterious monetary denominations, and bulletproof suits. But it sounds like Kolstadā€™s time with the franchise is over, because in a new interview, he has revealed that he will not be writing the scripts for the previously announced John Wick 4 and John Wick 5.

And if youā€™re dying for more info about the John Wick spin-off TV series The Continental, it sounds like you wonā€™t have to wait very long before you hear some concrete information about it.

In an interview with Collider, Kolstad was asked where he was in the writing process of John Wick 4 and John Wick 5, but he surprisingly responded, ā€œIā€™m actually not involved in four and five.ā€

ā€œAt a certain stage of the studio will tell you, your creation is graduated, and you wish it well,ā€ Kolstad explained. ā€œIā€™m still close with Chad, still close with Dave, and I donā€™t know whatā€™s going to happen, but Iā€™m excited to see.ā€

According to the writer, it was not his plan to step away from the franchise ā€“ thatā€™s a call that was made by Lionsgate.

ā€œNo, it wasnā€™t my decision,ā€ he said. ā€œWhen you think of the [contracts] of these things, the third one I shared the credit with any number of people, they didnā€™t have to come back to me, and so they didnā€™t. And so you look at that and you could be hurt, and I would ā€“ say, if I was 20 years ago ā€“ I would have been, but seeing what the industry is and how things go, I just believe that you bless everything and hope it all the best, and to the players involved who are doing other things elsewhere. And yeah, itā€™s personal, so Iā€™m never going to talk shit about John Wick. I want this thing to survive and thrive.ā€

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018

Updated release date too:
Now, the film is scheduled to arrive in theaters on May 27, 2022. The original plan was to film John Wick Chapter 4 and John Wick Chapter 5 back-to-back, but thatā€™s no longer happening. Meanwhile, the John Wick franchise is set to expand. Thereā€™s a spin-off film called Ballerina in the works, and then thereā€™s the prequel TV series The Continental.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
I think 3 was better than 2. But when they made 2 they knew exactly what they were doing, intentionally dialing everything up by "a factor of 10". #3 had some good action sequences, which I liked better than watching Common play an assassin.

Towards the end of 3, when he's fighting the two guys at once in the glass room, when he gets knocked down and puts up his hands as "wait a second", that wasn't scripted. He was legitimately telling the actors that he needed a break and they kept it in the movie.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Coming out March 24, 2023

3253ebab5cf3356aadab0d124d340f23

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.