🔧 BUILD Jimbo's new DDD - Daily Dad Driver. V: 2019 VW Arteon SEL Premium R-Line

General Information

Stopped by the dealer at lunch time yesterday, told the sales guy I didn't really want to waste his time, as I already viewed the car online and snuck over on a Sunday with the wife to check it out. Had all the gizmos and gadgets I wanted, so knew it'd be a solid car. Did a bunch of deep web diving and forum research, again, all positive. So the dealer came back and offered me a solid number, but a hair off of what I really wanted. Told them I'd go home and discuss it with the wife and follow-up. Texted him to see if he could sharpen the pencil a bit more, he came up with another $500, so it would net me $12k back in hand. Finished dinner, texted the salesman and said I'd be on my way. Drove over to the dealer and traded the Ram in last night. Bought the thing without even driving it :rofl:

The big driver towards the VW Arteon was the rear legroom. Set the driver seat in a comfortable position, then I hopped in the back. I had so much damn legroom. Cars.com reviews were all great for car seats. After buying it, swapped my sons booster seat bottom in, kid can kick his legs out and still not touch the back of my seat. Put my daughters rear-facing in (Clek Foonf - which is a big ol' bitch, but safe AF), and the passenger seat can be moved to a comfortable position, even for me, without it hitting the car seat back.

The color is called Manganese Grey Metallic, which has some good depth and works well with the body lines.

Drove the thing home, enjoying the comforts of the cooled seat and the back massage feature. I'm going to use that massage feature every fucking time I drive, it's amazing. I'm going to need to sit in this thing for an hour or two and finger-fuck all the gizmos and gadgets, learning what everything does. I'll also need to read up on the different drive modes and custom settings (suspension, steering, trans shifts, etc).

Current Mods/parts: mud flaps, 25% IRX window tint on the sides and back/25% on the windshield/50% on the sunroof, add-on homelink VW mirror (this bitch had everything, but no homelink), APR 93 octane tune, APR ignition coils, and one step colder NGK spark plugs. APR turbo inlet pipe, APR carbon fiber intake pipe, APR pex CAI, APR subframe insert, Rolloface 6 piston 14" front and rear brakes, H&R lowering springs, H&R rear sway bar, Moog rear sway bar links, 5mm spacers in the rear, 20x9 Vossen HF3 wheels with 255/35ZR20 Michelin PS4's, stock wheels with winter tires Vredestein Wintrac Pro, dynamic mirror turn signals, 2021 steering wheel and air bag. OE Roof bars and Inno Shadow 16 roof cargo box.

Here's some shitty pics for the time being...

IMG_3770.jpg

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3768.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

ECA8FAED-B3A9-44CC-9E84-243DFE867061.jpeg

F12B5219-C2C6-415A-BC86-30F66A6D61BD.jpeg

6AE79D13-A211-498C-BA24-896E9BD9A7D4.jpeg

34E8F727-CBDB-4FE9-9DB4-6FAFA24FF2B0.jpeg

80E9ECB1-59D8-4A75-B50F-36339BD8219C.jpeg

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
I had the mega cab, so the Ram had 3 more inches of legroom.
Mega Cab is a luxury for sure. I'd love to jump to a 2500 to get that option. One, I have no need for a truck that big. Two, with fuel prices that I don't see ever going back to a reasonable price, it's got me looking at other fuel saving options...
Congrats on the new rig. Really nice.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Stopped by the dealer at lunch time yesterday, told the sales guy I didn't really want to waste his time, as I already viewed the car online and snuck over on a Sunday with the wife to check it out. Had all the gizmos and gadgets I wanted, so knew it'd be a solid car. Did a bunch of deep web diving and forum research, again, all positive. So the dealer came back and offered me a solid number, but a hair off of what I really wanted. Told them I'd go home and discuss it with the wife and follow-up. Texted him to see if he could sharpen the pencil a bit more, he came up with another $500, so it would net me $12k back in hand. Finished dinner, texted the salesman and said I'd be on my way. Drove over tot he dealer and traded the Ram in last night. Bought the thing without even driving it :rofl:

The big driver towards the VW Arteon was the rear legroom. Set the driver seat in a comfortable position, then I hopped in the back. I had so much damn legroom. Cars.com reviews were all great for car seats. After buying it, swapped my sons booster seat bottom in, kid can kick his legs out and still not touch the back of my seat. Put my daughters rear-facing in (Clek Foonf - which is a big ol' bitch, but safe AF), and the passenger seat can be moved to a comfortable position, even for me, without it hitting the car seat back.

The color is called Manganese Grey Metallic, which has some good depth and works well with the body lines.

Drove the thing home, enjoying the comforts of the cooled seat and the back massage feature. I'm going to use that massage feature every fucking time I drive, it's amazing. I'm going to need to sit in this thing for an hour or two and finger-fuck all the gizmos and gadgets, learning what everything does. I'll also need to read up on the different drive modes and custom settings (suspension, steering, trans shifts, etc).

Pending parts/install: mud flaps, window tint, add-on homelink VW mirror (this bitch has everything, but no homelink), and the APR 93oct tune.
Possible mods down the road: spacers to flush the wheels/tires and maybe lowering springs.

Here's some shitty pics for the time being...

View attachment 122092

View attachment 122093

View attachment 122094

View attachment 122095
Straight up, I'm going to the guy that asks... MPG, how does it do before/after tune?

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Straight up, I'm going to the guy that asks... MPG, how does it do before/after tune?
From what I've read, pretty much stays the same.

It's rated at 20 city/27 highway. However, last night driving home on the highway, and city streets, I pulled into the driveway at 32.1mpg.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Looks great! That was a strong contender for me since I've had so many VWs, but I ended up with the Stinger.

Instead of APR tune, perhaps look into an Accessport. You can reflash whatever tune you want (OTS, custom tune, etc...), whenever you want. Want to run 87? Fine. 91 or 93 or E30? Great! Want to sell the car, uninstall, and resell the tuner to someone else and get back at least half of what you spent on the tune? You bet! Can't do any of that with the APR reflash...

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Looks great! That was a strong contender for me since I've had so many VWs, but I ended up with the Stinger.

Instead of APR tune, perhaps look into an Accessport. You can reflash whatever tune you want (OTS, custom tune, etc...), whenever you want. Want to run 87? Fine. 91 or 93 or E30? Great! Want to sell the car, uninstall, and resell the tuner to someone else and get back at least half of what you spent on the tune? You bet! Can't do any of that with the APR reflash...
I've looked at that. I like the ease of set it and forget it. After deleting and tuning the truck, I never once changed the tune setting. APR is also fairly conservative and reliable, so another driver towards opting for their tune. I'm not going to Mook Mook this thing, this is just the comfortable DDD.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I've looked at that. I like the ease of set it and forget it. After deleting and tuning the truck, I never once changed the tune setting. APR is also fairly conservative and reliable, so another driver towards opting for their tune. I'm not going to Mook Mook this thing, this is just the comfortable DDD.
That's pretty much what I did with mine. But was nice if in WI and only 91 octane available, for example, to take it off the 93 map. Also fun to put in a few gallons of E85 every once in awhile too. I bought Accessport with Cobb OTS tunes used for around $500, and resold it for $400. So it only cost me $100 to run the tune on my car for the couple years that I had it.

I've done APR in the past too, and they are reliable and consistent. Not a bad choice if you aren't comfortable with the newer alternatives. Either way, a tune really brings the Arteon to life. You'll certainly be happy with whichever route you go. :)

Thread Info