🔧 BUILD Jimbo's new DDD - Daily Dad Driver. V: 2019 VW Arteon SEL Premium R-Line

General Information

Stopped by the dealer at lunch time yesterday, told the sales guy I didn't really want to waste his time, as I already viewed the car online and snuck over on a Sunday with the wife to check it out. Had all the gizmos and gadgets I wanted, so knew it'd be a solid car. Did a bunch of deep web diving and forum research, again, all positive. So the dealer came back and offered me a solid number, but a hair off of what I really wanted. Told them I'd go home and discuss it with the wife and follow-up. Texted him to see if he could sharpen the pencil a bit more, he came up with another $500, so it would net me $12k back in hand. Finished dinner, texted the salesman and said I'd be on my way. Drove over to the dealer and traded the Ram in last night. Bought the thing without even driving it :rofl:

The big driver towards the VW Arteon was the rear legroom. Set the driver seat in a comfortable position, then I hopped in the back. I had so much damn legroom. Cars.com reviews were all great for car seats. After buying it, swapped my sons booster seat bottom in, kid can kick his legs out and still not touch the back of my seat. Put my daughters rear-facing in (Clek Foonf - which is a big ol' bitch, but safe AF), and the passenger seat can be moved to a comfortable position, even for me, without it hitting the car seat back.

The color is called Manganese Grey Metallic, which has some good depth and works well with the body lines.

Drove the thing home, enjoying the comforts of the cooled seat and the back massage feature. I'm going to use that massage feature every fucking time I drive, it's amazing. I'm going to need to sit in this thing for an hour or two and finger-fuck all the gizmos and gadgets, learning what everything does. I'll also need to read up on the different drive modes and custom settings (suspension, steering, trans shifts, etc).

Current Mods/parts: mud flaps, 25% IRX window tint on the sides and back/25% on the windshield/50% on the sunroof, add-on homelink VW mirror (this bitch had everything, but no homelink), APR 93 octane tune, APR ignition coils, and one step colder NGK spark plugs. APR turbo inlet pipe, APR carbon fiber intake pipe, APR pex CAI, APR subframe insert, Rolloface 6 piston 14" front and rear brakes, H&R lowering springs, H&R rear sway bar, Moog rear sway bar links, 5mm spacers in the rear, 20x9 Vossen HF3 wheels with 255/35ZR20 Michelin PS4's, stock wheels with winter tires Vredestein Wintrac Pro, dynamic mirror turn signals, 2021 steering wheel and air bag. OE Roof bars and Inno Shadow 16 roof cargo box.

Here's some shitty pics for the time being...

IMG_3770.jpg

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3768.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

ECA8FAED-B3A9-44CC-9E84-243DFE867061.jpeg

F12B5219-C2C6-415A-BC86-30F66A6D61BD.jpeg

6AE79D13-A211-498C-BA24-896E9BD9A7D4.jpeg

34E8F727-CBDB-4FE9-9DB4-6FAFA24FF2B0.jpeg

80E9ECB1-59D8-4A75-B50F-36339BD8219C.jpeg

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I was 7 miles away from being at exactly 5,000 miles from the last oil change. I ordered my replacement oil change kit from FCP Euro. Changed the oil, captured the old oil, filter, drain plug, etc. Double wrapped them in plastic, filled out my LIFETIME WARRANTY return form and shipped them back to FCP Euro. About 1 week later (today) I got my email notification indicating that I'll be seeing roughly $70 back on my amex for the claim! Shipping cost me $20, because I forgot to search for a UPS shipping discount code, but whatever. Highly recommend FCP Euro to those with vehicles that they have parts for, the lifetime warranty is ridiculously amazing.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
I was 7 miles away from being at exactly 5,000 miles from the last oil change. I ordered my replacement oil change kit from FCP Euro. Changed the oil, captured the old oil, filter, drain plug, etc. Double wrapped them in plastic, filled out my LIFETIME WARRANTY return form and shipped them back to FCP Euro. About 1 week later (today) I got my email notification indicating that I'll be seeing roughly $70 back on my amex for the claim! Shipping cost me $20, because I forgot to search for a UPS shipping discount code, but whatever. Highly recommend FCP Euro to those with vehicles that they have parts for, the lifetime warranty is ridiculously amazing.
That is pretty wild, and a damn good deal. Not many probably stick with it due to hassle, but obviously pays off. Nice work

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
That is pretty wild, and a damn good deal. Not many probably stick with it due to hassle, but obviously pays off. Nice work
I think some people will probably not return brake rotors and such due to the cost of shipping, but if you have a shipping account and can get a decent deal, it's absolutely worth it. Like Rico Rico would benefit as his brake rotors are expensive as shit, and even if he had to pay $200-300 to ship, it's still a HUGE net positive return.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I'm definitely due to do my rotors / pads soon. Good to know!
And the benefit through them, you can return the shit at anytime, want new brakes every year, no problem. Buy your replacements (pay in full), then when you submit your warranty paperwork with your return, they'll refund you. Nuts-o.

One of my techs here has an E36 M3 rally car. Warranties pads after every race, has warrantied ball joints, control arms, bushings, etc ever few races.

Reactions: dpwalsh14

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
EDIT*** Apparently after November 1st, it’s not a refund to your credit card, it’s now a store credit. Which is fine by me.

A lot of people got upset about this and I don’t get it. Sure it ensures you buy your parts from them in the future, but you’re not getting store credit anywhere else.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
A lot of people got upset about this and I don’t get it. Sure it ensures you buy your parts from them in the future, but you’re not getting store credit anywhere else.
Exactly! Seems silly, but then again, once you sell the car, if you don't replace with another line they service, I guess your last store credit just hangs out there.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Exactly! Seems silly, but then again, once you sell the car, if you don't replace with another line they service, I guess your last store credit just hangs out there.

Which they wouldn’t even have from another retailer. Buy some tools or cleaning supplies. Guys acting like they needed that oil change money to buy diapers or something.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I just saw that the 2022 Arteon got upgraded to the same turbo and transmission as the Golf R. Is that essentially correct and what are your thoughts on that?

This might take me back to the VW camp when it comes time to replace my Stinger.
Yeah, they're the DSG now. They bumped the power, and share the same as the Golf R now, my car shares the same motor/turbo as the 2018 Golf R.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Yeah, they're the DSG now. They bumped the power, and share the same as the Golf R now, my car shares the same motor/turbo as the 2018 Golf R.
Seems like the trans and power upgrade really helped it more than expected. Hopefully they keep selling it going forward as a good alternative to SUVs.

Car and Driver said:
The Arteon we tested last year accelerated to 60 mph in a respectable 6.4 seconds. Based on the specs, an increase of 32 horsepower and 37 pound-feet of torque shouldn't drastically improve performance for a near-4000-pound sedan. We thought an improvement of a few tenths was in order. With the assistance of a 4000-rpm launch-control sequence, what we got instead was a 60-mph time of only 4.6 seconds, which is as impressive as it was improbable considering this car's mild street manners. In the quarter-mile, this Arteon crossed the line in 13.3 seconds at 103 mph, compared to its predecessor's 14.7-second run at 96 mph.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Seems like the trans and power upgrade really helped it more than expected. Hopefully they keep selling it going forward as a good alternative to SUVs.

From what I’ve read, they’re saying that the new ones are damn near as fast as APR tuned previous ones, as the auto trans is so fucking laggy/horrible between shifts.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Thread Info