🔧 BUILD JFish's 98 Camaro SS

General Information

Been thinking about doing this for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger. It's nothing special or as bad ass as most of you guys but trying to be part of the community and share. And as of now I don't have any other real plans for it, but I do have most of the pictures I saved from when I was doing stuff.
So the story begins...
I had gotten divorced and wanted a fun car again, I knew what I wanted and had been on the lookout, low and behold I found this gem on LS1Tech for sale in Michigan. with my budget I wanted something decent but didn't want to break the bank, pictures online looked super nice and as long as it was as nice as it was in the pictures it was a done deal. Had my buddy drive me up to Michigan with an envelope full of cash. And the car was way beyond what I ever anticipated getting for myself, and super low miles (31,600 at the time of sale), so I picked it up and drove it home.

Few pictures of the listing, and one when I stopped at McDonalds on the way back home, then finally in the garage.

98 SS.jpg

10405534_10153039187371850_9119635175467897842_n_e9656469d751af50e8abde1d795965e2b6679b06.jpg

11990660_10153039187211850_8734027285135510672_n_ec37cccf43e2e766ce424a3b067ea88380483979.jpg

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG

IMG_0839.JPG

JFish75

Addict
TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2019
Winfield, Il.
How was the traction ?
I go back and forth about buying street tires and running them at normal air pressure vs. rear drag radials.
So I liked the original ones I have a lot (reason why I am sticking with them). They are obviously a summer tire so they don't like the cold at all, which isn't a problem for me since I only drive it in the warm months anyway, but even when the temp gets down to 50ish you can tell the difference but n warmer days and once you get some heat into them they are fantastic. For a performance summer tire they are awesome on the street, I took the car to Blackhawk farms and did a few track days and they performed extremely well at least for me, they held up great. As for drag racing they are not the best in my opinion, if you are looking for hard launches and low 60 Ft times I haven't had luck with them, although part of that is I don't go to the track that much anymore, and launching this in a manual is a pain in the ass to begin with.
We will see how the new ones are, the ones I have are 9ish years old from the date codes so I am looking forward to getting the new ones on and see the difference when they are fresh and new rubber.
Hope this helps!

Time for the scrap heap!

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

JFish75

Addict
TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2019
Winfield, Il.
View attachment 176807

Fucking hot out today I’m sure u were by the food court staying cool
Yeah it was hot as fuck out for sure. But yeah we were back and forth keeping cool in the pavilion and walking around in short bursts. My buddy was working the event they are part of the prison city car club that was hosting. We left about 1ish. Too bad I missed you would have said hi.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Reactions: JFish75

JFish75

Addict
TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2019
Winfield, Il.
Soooo I had a turn signal bulb go out, cool took the day off to do that and replace the battery on the Cruze and some shit around the house. Everything done wiped down the Camaro and go to pull it in the garage, clutch pedal goes to the floor, fuck not this shit again. It pumped back up so I’m thinking there’s air somewhere. Checked the level it’s a tad low, not crazy though, top it off and recheck. Seems ok, take it around the block, recheck the fluid it’s slightly low again. Sat in the driveway and just pumped the clutch go and recheck it’s empty. Filled it up and was able to pull it into the garage, there is a puddle in the driveway from the area of the middle of the car, I’m thinking the slave cylinder took a dump. I had already replaced the master with a Tick years ago, that seems to be dry from what I can see. So I guess that’s my queue to put it away for the winter and start looking for clutches in the spring and do it all in one shot. I’m not fucking around with that in my garage/driveway so it’s gonna have to go somewhere and probably get towed.

JFish75

Addict
TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2019
Winfield, Il.
I guess the could have been worse, could have left me stranded somewhere, and at least it’s end of season so I can just park it.
Any suggestions for getting a clutch done? Redline? Not too far away, went there for the open house and I know they are on here. And any suggestions what kind of clutch? Not putting out crazy power so not gonna need anything crazy, I’ve thought about Monster in the past. I’m open to suggestions, I’ve heard some poor reviews with McLoed and poor customer service.

Parts have arrived, decided to go with a Monster single disc. I am not putting out that much power and don’t really track it that much so no need to go crazy with multi discs. Got all the shit with it, remote speed bleeder, and their billet release bearing support, and new bolts. They shipped it with the clutch bolted to the flywheel so I might fuck with that and take it off later to check out the flywheel and clutch. Now to wait until spring to have it installed. daturbosix daturbosix I’ll be reaching out closer to spring to get this back in the road.

Attachments

• IMG_6820.jpeg
    IMG_6820.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 16
JFish75
JFish75
Finally got around to taking off the pressure plate to inspect and make sure the clutch is actually in there lol. Obviously I could see the inner ring of it through the center but they assembled it all together and the bolts were pretty tight. But it would have to come apart anyway for install so might as well see what I paid for.
After a much awaited process ( started in September as you can see by the sticker renewal) I finally got my new Expanded Antique plates! Had to get a new plate number but I like it better. I originally liked my old plates but no one ever got it except maybe car people. This is much cleaner and easier to comprehend 😂.
Now being an antique it is very fragile and I need to drive very cautiously and carefully as to not ruin it or damage any of these delicate pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_6877.jpeg
    IMG_6877.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 11

JFish75

Addict
TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2019
Winfield, Il.
Dude I'm not gonna lie I've been considering this myself but I wanna keep my red matching personalized plates and the corn fucker state will definitely hose me on those.
Yeah I hear you, I liked my old personalized plates but I like these better actually, but more than that it’s a third of the cost to renew these now. Obviously not sure about the Corn Fucker State 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: sktchy

Thread Info