🔧 BUILD Jeff's Cookie Cutter Kitty and Porsche Killer Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
That sucks Jeff hope it all works out quickly
Probably just gonna order some led replacements for the stock housings for now.
You should have bought the BMR ones. lol

That sucks to hear. Lights are nowhere new. Why is there constantly issues with aftermarket lights? It's amazing. The tail lights I bought for my car had one that worked but cuaed me to show errors in the car. It had to be replaced. A buddy installed tail lights in his car last week and one side acts goofy. It's Brite like it should be for a second. Then slowly dims. They sent a diode and installed that. Now they don't work at all. It's crazy. All junk.
It’s crazy but totally true. All aftermarket lights seem to be complete shit no matter who you buy from. It’s a shame because these new signals look pretty damn cool. Diode Dynamics is pretty well known and I thought I’d be ok. I guess we’ll see how they handle the situation. It seems they have pretty good customer service, but not sure what they’re going to be able to do with the units being on back order now...

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I remember HID conversions people would do. I those things never worked or failed quickly. Doesn't seem like it should be that hard to figure out lol

The problem now in a lot of areas is product. Between items not being manufactured to container times changing from 4 weeks to about 12 weeks now. We're gonna start seeing more and more shortages and price increases.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
So the headlight led driver harness came with shitty T taps and when testing by jiggling the wires, the lights of course flickered. Cut all the T taps out and soldered everything up. I swear this is easily the biggest pain in the ass mod I’ve done to my car.

Then when I go to finally button up the front bumper I somehow pulled the front pony off so now I need to re epoxy the bolts that hold it into place.
3EDDC62D-54E6-4445-A718-50B2CCACD773.jpeg

A9707140-BC90-4F9F-9FAF-4E5FBF822616.jpeg

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
I am glad you got it figured out. Modelo was a good choice. I have also had nothing but headaches with aftermarket light stuff.
I ALWAYS have Modelos in my fridge!

I got ahold of Diode Dynamics today and they acknowledged they had an issue with a batch of these sequential turns signals. They’re going to have an updated version ready to ship in four weeks from what the guy said on the phone. We’ll see. The headlight led boards are great looking and work perfectly so pretty happy with those.

Reactions: SleeperLS

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
the guys that created those and scotchlocks need to be tar'd and feathered

Agreed. I learned years ago that a micro weatherpack/Meti-pack connector was so easy to assemble. With the correct tool, it is simple, secure, reliable, and weatherproof. I bought some connectors and pins in bulk and made a nice kit in a small tackle box. Worth every penny.

As is non-stick electrical tape, cloth tape, and fuse busses. I hate electrical but having all of that has made me hate it less. haha

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Agreed. I learned years ago that a micro weatherpack/Meti-pack connector was so easy to assemble. With the correct tool, it is simple, secure, reliable, and weatherproof.
Please explain wtf all that is...lol. I've always just soldered and shrink wrapped butt connections, and when splicing I remove a tiny section of insulation on main wire to wrap the splice wire around, then solder, then electrical tape it and I've never had an issue.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
There are different ones. Delhi weatherpack is probably one of the originals and most common. OEM-type stuff. Awesome for stuff that you want to be able to unplug. They sell single connectors and multiple connectors (2, 3, 4, 6, 12, etc.).

weatherpackassembly.jpg

WP-5PT_A__45523.1316105268.1280.1280.jpg

"Deutsch" connector

Amphenol-Deutsch-AT-DT-type-12pin-connector.jpg

In some applications soldering isn't the ideal way to go. I solder and use butt connectors (not the cheap ones) from time to time. The butt connectors I use are way thicker and solder well. Others use a rubber cover that has a waterproof seal when you put heat to them and shrink them. Basically needing the right parts and tools to do the job right. Not them cheap-ass auto part store butt-connectors.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Buy a metripack 150 etc (a 150 has the male pin at 1.5mm wide, 280 is 2.8 etc) terminal kit and crimper.

About $10 and some side Cutters at the junkyard will give you a crap load of connector bodies and silicone wire grommet and all you got to do is pop them apart and reuse the stuff that is really expensive.

Keep in mind that newer cars that have the connectors with purple clips tend to be the Packard GT (150 280 etc) series connectors which are completely different style of terminal kit.

Nothing is better than having all GM stuff with the proper length wires and no splices in the middle from having to use junkyard pigtails. Just having the ability to repin a fuse box to use an empty relay spot or fuse....

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
^ Agreed. Doing engine swaps, interior conversions, and even the typical GM throttle body with a Ford engine with a standalone comes is super handy.

The connectors are the expensive part of them. So finding used stuff to repurpose saves money too. I am sure you can even buy fuse blocks and harnesses on ebay.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Yup, connectors are the way to go. They are a lot easier than soldering. Soldered connections become brittle and can eventually break. If you do solder anything, make sure to get the adhesive backed shrink tube. It seals up much better and makes the connection more secure. It's usually sold as marine grade.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Pretty much finished the car last night. Got the front bumper back on and buttoned up. Then tore the dash/console apart to move my boost gauge over and to swap out the old Myfordtouch to a new Sync3 setup. Having CarPlay will be nice!

76964D1E-249D-48B6-B5C3-CECAF4C2CD40.jpeg

99BF0456-6199-4BA6-B295-109107DA598D.jpeg

Also should report that Diode Dynamics customer service is pretty good. They warrantied my faulty light no questions(bought through another vendor) and have already shipped me a new one. Very easy to work with and I’m glad they stand behind their stuff.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Boost gauge reading its 10psi?
Not sure. Had Drew throw it in last year when he did the clutch. Only 450 more miles till it’s broken in and I can get into some bewst...lol
Jeff is Paul Walker in this. The crowd is the rest of us.
All I heard is that you think I’m Paul Walker dreamy.

• Haha
Reactions: Mook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info