🔧 BUILD Jeff's 2005 Jew Canoe - 2005 2wd 5.3 EscaLAAAADE

General Information

[chapter]The Canoe Arrives[/chapter]
Sure it's got 170k on it.
But it came from Florida, and it's a 5.3 2wd
Clean clean clean! Mmm

Plans? Remember all those parts I had for blue balls? Welllllll they'll end up in this here Essssalade.

IMG_20190227_140510.jpegIMG_20190227_140518.jpegIMG_20190227_140527.jpegIMG_20190227_140536.jpeg

[chapter]Elite Sound System Installed[/chapter]

[chapter]Kind of lowered[/chapter]

[chapter]So I made an exhaust[/chapter]

[chapter]Lowered a bit more[/chapter]

[chapter]New Rims[/chapter]

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
One of my possible tow pigs for '21 would be a Esca Tahoe or ESV, and 2005 is of interest because they are pre DOD. Other than the transmissions, any known issues with these trucks?
In my opinion it's solely depends on the deal you get for whatever vehicle. I personally would love to have a 2007 up because of the new body and fancy shit, but then I would also like to have the six-speed trans versus the 4L60E based unit because they're much more robust with stock parts. But then you have to factor in your price of the DOD delete and labor and probably doing that 6L80 or 90 because without the pump kit and shift kit they will come apart, it's only a matter of time

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
I'm more in the 'cheap but good' category. Newer stuff would eventually need DOD delete, and rebuilding a 6L80E is $3500 or more I think? Mostly would be doing short tows of race car to GLD and US41 and once a year to LS Fest.
I'm not ruling out a pickup truck at this point either but have a slight preference for a 'burban.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
I'm more in the 'cheap but good' category. Newer stuff would eventually need DOD delete, and rebuilding a 6L80E is $3500 or more I think? Mostly would be doing short tows of race car to GLD and US41 and once a year to LS Fest.
I'm not ruling out a pickup truck at this point either but have a slight preference for a 'burban.
So the wrench in the mix is going to be the tcm. Those are like five or 600 bucks plus programming.

Our base rebuild that will do for like fleet companies will automatically get the pump update and a mild shift kit, and that starts at 1900 carry out, including the converter.

Just go up from there with parts prices

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Just ballpark what do you guys charge for a 60e rebuild with the bare minimum upgrade parts? Just to have it in the back of my mind, my Yukon is sluggish to engage 1st sometimes, like if you roll a stop sign or stop for just half a second it feels like it stays in 2nd and then drops back to 1st

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Just ballpark what do you guys charge for a 60e rebuild with the bare minimum upgrade parts? Just to have it in the back of my mind, my Yukon is sluggish to engage 1st sometimes, like if you roll a stop sign or stop for just half a second it feels like it stays in 2nd and then drops back to 1st
Any 60e or 700 does not leave the shop "stock".
If it doesn't have an input speed sensor, were like $1050 carry out with converter.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Yeah the older the tow pig I'd get the more I'd budget to rebuild the transmission, maybe even pro actively rebuild it. Last big truck I had was a '99 Tahoe 2WD, had 95K on it at the time and I had to rebuild the trans in 6 months of ownership. Jeff what do you guys get to rebuild a 4L60E and a 6L80E in a Silverado or Suburban?

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Yeah the older the tow pig I'd get the more I'd budget to rebuild the transmission, maybe even pro actively rebuild it. Last big truck I had was a '99 Tahoe 2WD, had 95K on it at the time and I had to rebuild the trans in 6 months of ownership. Jeff what do you guys get to rebuild a 4L60E and a 6L80E in a Silverado or Suburban?
4l starts at 1050 carry out, and 6l starts at 1900 if it doesn't need a TCM.

Both gets "fixes" and updates. And if you're towing, either one would be suggested to go a little more HD clutches and such.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
4l starts at 1050 carry out, and 6l starts at 1900 if it doesn't need a TCM.

Both gets "fixes" and updates. And if you're towing, either one would be suggested to go a little more HD clutches and such.

dayum.Makes it worth it to keep the junk 60 truck for two rebuilds lol. I had an 07 Tahoe and the 60 started acting up after towing my bil mustang home. Got cut off bad and road raged a trailer whipping tho. Almost lost control as the whole truck started “tank slapping “ ?? trans never acted the same after that day.

• Haha
Reactions: daturbosix

Thread Info