Jeep Dealers Are Really Slashing Prices On 2020 Gladiators

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It's not about the opinions. It's why certain opinions are even being brought up.

I'll retract a bit. I admit. I brought the Tacoma thing up when I said it was going to be my go-to appliance truck. I tend to side-bar a lot in all of my long winded posts. My bad. I just never saw this debate coming when I am already leaning 95% in the direction of a Gladiator. That being said, if I drive one and don't like it I'm not going to go directly to the Toyota dealer and hand them my money. I'll probably have to start the research process all over because I am not in the average pick-up truck mind-set. In fact, I'd probably look at a handful of other things that aren't trucks at all.

Furthermore, I don't think it's even entirely fair for the journalists to compare the Gladiator to any of the other trucks. I get it. They're all mid-size trucks. It's not THAT far off, but I see this similarly to comparing a Wrangler to a Rav4. Are they both small 4WD SUVs? Yeah, but did a person shopping for Wranglers ever care that a Rav4 got better fuel mileage and a quieter cabin? Possibly, but highly doubtful. I've even seen Motor Trend admit such things when talking about the Gladiator. Good for them.

just buy one :dunno:

tcg will be pumped for you for sure.

i said i'd buy one even :rofl:

although bronco entices me more... and that's where my money is headededed

you said you need a bed... have you actually looked at the "bed" in a gladiator?

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
just buy one :dunno:

tcg will be pumped for you for sure.

i said i'd buy one even :rofl:

although bronco entices me more... and that's where my money is headededed

you said you need a bed... have you actually looked at the "bed" in a gladiator?

Yeeaaahhhhh.... It's pretty disappointing when you see it in person. I see the body lines that people hate so much. I obviously don't care as much as others, but it certainly gives the illusion of having a larger area back there. However, I really only want a bed for hauling my scrap to the yard, buying/selling engines/transmissions, and hauling landscaping stuff from the hardware store. I know I'll be disappointed when I need to haul lumber, but the 245 actually converts to a perfect 4x8 when you fold the back seat down. (y) I THINK the "5ft" Jeep bed will be plenty for me.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yeeaaahhhhh.... It's pretty disappointing when you see it in person. I see the body lines that people hate so much. I obviously don't care as much as others, but it certainly gives the illusion of having a larger area back there. However, I really only want a bed for hauling my scrap to the yard, buying/selling engines/transmissions, and hauling landscaping stuff from the hardware store. I know I'll be disappointed when I need to haul lumber, but the 245 actually converts to a perfect 4x8 when you fold the back seat down. (y) I THINK the "5ft" Jeep bed will be plenty for me.

the 245?

keep in mind if you are hauling scrap, most these "trucks" you're looking at have extremely low payload ratings...

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
the 245?

keep in mind if you are hauling scrap, most these "trucks" you're looking at have extremely low payload ratings...
Volvo 240 Wagon

It'll be fine. I'm just talking about unusable sheet metal, trashed car parts, and other rusty crap that accumulates in the garage. I'm NOT one of these guys. \/\/\/ lol
1596117911784.png

• Haha
Reactions: Aircal

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
It's not about the opinions. It's why certain opinions are even being brought up.

I'll retract a bit. I admit. I brought the Tacoma thing up when I said it was going to be my go-to appliance truck. I tend to side-bar a lot in all of my long winded posts. My bad. I just never saw this debate coming when I am already leaning 95% in the direction of a Gladiator. That being said, if I drive one and don't like it I'm not going to go directly to the Toyota dealer and hand them my money. I'll probably have to start the research process all over because I am not in the average pick-up truck mind-set. In fact, I'd probably look at a handful of other things that aren't trucks at all.

Furthermore, I don't think it's even entirely fair for the journalists to compare the Gladiator to any of the other trucks. I get it. They're all mid-size trucks. It's not THAT far off, but I see this similarly to comparing a Wrangler to a Rav4. Are they both small 4WD SUVs? Yeah, but did a person shopping for Wranglers ever care that a Rav4 got better fuel mileage and a quieter cabin? Possibly, but highly doubtful. I've even seen Motor Trend admit such things when talking about the Gladiator. Good for them.

No hard feelings, broski. The Gladiator is more toy than truck, and that's fine as long as you know what you're getting into. I do believe it's sales are starting to slip because it's not a great truck for doing work, and you might see non-essential purchases falling off in our current climate. Also, the Wrangler is all alone in its class, while the Gladiator has much more competition and is wildly expensive at its retail price.

For the Tacoma, a lot more goes into a car purchase than the objective things that journalists can measure. But once you've driven all of the trucks back-to-back, it's pretty easy to see the Tacoma's deficiencies.

Also, to answer your question about Gladiator noise, there's very little noise abatement so you hear the gravely sound of the knobby tires on the road and the air whipping over the squared-off cabin. This may not bother you depending on what car you're coming from, or whether the cool factor of taking the doors and roof off can offset the inconvenience, and also how much time you spend at highway speeds. [Edit: The Overland is the most street-oriented that has the quietest tires]

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Volvo 240 Wagon

It'll be fine. I'm just talking about unusable sheet metal, trashed car parts, and other rusty crap that accumulates in the garage. I'm NOT one of these guys. \/\/\/ lol
View attachment 63611

i mean it's 1100lbs to 1600lbs.

3 200lb passengers leaves you with 500-1000lbs available.. :dunno: just figured it was worth mentioning.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
No hard feelings, broski. The Gladiator is more toy than truck, and that's fine as long as you know what you're getting into. I do believe it's sales are starting to slip because it's not a great truck for doing work, and you might see non-essential purchases falling off in our current climate. Also, the Wrangler is all alone in its class, while the Gladiator has much more competition and is wildly expensive at its retail price.

For the Tacoma, a lot more goes into a car purchase than the objective things that journalists can measure. But once you've driven all of the trucks back-to-back, it's pretty easy to see the Tacoma's deficiencies.

Also, to answer your question about Gladiator noise, there's very little noise abatement so you hear the gravely sound of the knobby tires on the road and the air whipping over the squared-off cabin. This may not bother you depending on what car you're coming from, or whether the cool factor of taking the doors and roof off can offset the inconvenience, and also how much time you spend at highway speeds.
Cheers. I hear that, and I've certainly thought too much about my decision to consider a Gladiator. I actually started looking at complete 180s from my C30, because my initial thought was "I need a truck." However, I've gone through five moves, tons of project cars, and a bathroom remodel without owning a truck. It was at that point I realized that I had gotten by just fine without one and I'd probably regret going from daily driving my nimble, fuel efficient, European, hatch to being stuck in a full-on truck. I'm not going to tow much if at all, and all the things that will go into the bed are small enough to fit in one of my cars. As far as truckness, I should be okay. When I want it, I'll have enough to get by.

As for the noise and drivability, I'm not sure how to feel about it yet. I won't know until I put my butt in the driver seat, but I like to think that it will just be part of the Jeep experience. Again, going from a quiet European hatch to a rattly jeep with no headliner is likely to be a culture shock. At the same time, I've gone the last three weeks without driving my C30 partially by choice. Instead, I've driven the '02 Camaro with terrible plastic, no muffler, and no AC or the 240 which is painfully slow. Yet, I don't really miss the C30. Maybe the Jeep will be fine. ?‍♂️ Only one way to find out! Thanks for the insight. I'll be sure to keep my ears open and get on the interstate during my test.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
i mean it's 1100lbs to 1600lbs.

3 200lb passengers leaves you with 500-1000lbs available.. :dunno: just figured it was worth mentioning.
It is! I may be underestimating how much I'd pick up in a trip, but that seems like plenty for payload. I mentioned landscaping stuff, but I hate yard work. I might buy a couple bags of mulch at a time. When I say engines and transmissions, I mean one at a time every once in a blue moon. I'm a light packer.

shockerracing.com

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 9, 2006
Dundee, IL
Ok, as the one and only Gladiator owner on the site (I believe) here's my real world take on it after owning it for almost a year. I didn't have time to read through 4 pages of Tacoma nonsense, but I have a lot to say about the Gladiator. I own a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon and the 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. I ordered both of them new, the sticker price on my Gladiator was $57K but I actually paid $51k for my pretty loaded up Rubicon. There are dealers on the forums always advertising 4-5% off Invoice. I actually traded my 2016 Porsche Cayman for the Gladiator because I thought it would be a smart move for my Youtube channel. My wife and I ordered it with the intentions of doing a wild build on it for the Youtube Channel and making a bunch of videos and then selling it after about a year. What we did not account for is how much we actually love driving this truck! The Gladiator rides and drives much better than the Wrangler due to the longer wheel base and heavier weight. Now mine is on 40" tires and a 4.5" lift kit, and I would still drive this thing cross country! In fact, we just had 4 adults drive in it to Tennesee and back and I would do it again in a heart beat. It averaged about 16 mpg on the 40's with stock gears. The only complaint I have about the entire truck, and this is the same for the Wrangler, is that if there is a cross wind on the highway you will definitely know it. Yes, the Jeeps can get pricey but they really hold their value well which is something you can't say about the competition. When you start to look at the technology and what you get in these Jeeps you will begin to understand why. The doors and tops come off easily, and there is nothing cooler thank cruising a naked Jeep. The entire interior is water resistant, with drain holes in the floor to easily shed the water if you get rained on while cruising naked. I have the heated seats, heated steering wheel, and an 8" touch screen with Apple Car Play, etc.

And all of this doesn't even begin to discuss how amazing this truck performs off road. I have done shit in this truck that I never would have thought a Wrangler or the Gladiator could do!

Let me know if you have any other questions about the truck or anything else I can help with in your decision.
IMG_3923.JPG

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Ok, as the one and only Gladiator owner on the site (I believe) here's my real world take on it after owning it for almost a year. I didn't have time to read through 4 pages of Tacoma nonsense, but I have a lot to say about the Gladiator. I own a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon and the 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon. I ordered both of them new, the sticker price on my Gladiator was $57K but I actually paid $51k for my pretty loaded up Rubicon. There are dealers on the forums always advertising 4-5% off Invoice. I actually traded my 2016 Porsche Cayman for the Gladiator because I thought it would be a smart move for my Youtube channel. My wife and I ordered it with the intentions of doing a wild build on it for the Youtube Channel and making a bunch of videos and then selling it after about a year. What we did not account for is how much we actually love driving this truck! The Gladiator rides and drives much better than the Wrangler due to the longer wheel base and heavier weight. Now mine is on 40" tires and a 4.5" lift kit, and I would still drive this thing cross country! In fact, we just had 4 adults drive in it to Tennesee and back and I would do it again in a heart beat. It averaged about 16 mpg on the 40's with stock gears. The only complaint I have about the entire truck, and this is the same for the Wrangler, is that if there is a cross wind on the highway you will definitely know it. Yes, the Jeeps can get pricey but they really hold their value well which is something you can't say about the competition. When you start to look at the technology and what you get in these Jeeps you will begin to understand why. The doors and tops come off easily, and there is nothing cooler thank cruising a naked Jeep. The entire interior is water resistant, with drain holes in the floor to easily shed the water if you get rained on while cruising naked. I have the heated seats, heated steering wheel, and an 8" touch screen with Apple Car Play, etc.

And all of this doesn't even begin to discuss how amazing this truck performs off road. I have done shit in this truck that I never would have thought a Wrangler or the Gladiator could do!

Let me know if you have any other questions about the truck or anything else I can help with in your decision.View attachment 63612
Which stock gears do you have? 3.73 or 4.10? I heard that the MPG difference in unnoticeable. It's great to hear from an owner of a Wrangler AND Gladiator.

Reactions: shockerracing.com

shockerracing.com

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 9, 2006
Dundee, IL
:eek3:

fuck :rofl:

any desire to throw some 5:13s at it to make it get out of it's own way?
Lol, I had actually been trying to get the 5.13's done before our trip to Tennesee but the shop I was originally have install them kind of dicked me over. I will say even without regearing it rode and drove fine and I was actually kind of impressed with 16mpg on the stock gears... but I did end up taking it to Badgerland Offroad to have them install the 5.13's from Nitro Gears and now it feels back to stock.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Holy smokes! I wouldn't put tires that big on mine. I'll just go ahead and say it.... any Jeep of mine is going to be a total mall crawler. I'm not proud, but I have to face facts!

I didn't know all Rubicons were all 4.10s, but I suppose it makes sense. I'd hope so for that price tag. It's actually kinda hard to find Sports around here with the "max tow" 4.10:1 package. It's kinda pricey, but I've heard it's a must if you want to use your Jeep for any sort of off-roading or truck things and 3:73s are really just for Barbies. Even jeep seems to claim that with their ratings.

Reactions: shockerracing.com
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info