Jeep Dealers Are Really Slashing Prices On 2020 Gladiators

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
My son had an 18 Jeep 4 door. The suspension was soft enough but it was spartan getting in and out of. Extended highway noise was annoying.

I have been window shopping the Diesel ZR2 hard. I test drive one and the shocks make it the best ride I have felt in a long time. They are expensive and the daysels are rare and hard to find. I found a couple of used low miles ones, but they sell fast. Something about GM interior knobs that turn me off but I could deal with them if I found a doosel.

The ranger is nice. I only sat in one but very comfy and looks nice inside and out. Wicked deals on 2019 but for me would have to be a lariat. They had 0 for 84 on the ranger and took the deal away. There are still 2019 units on dealer lots with rusty brake rotors. I would think they need to clear them out with 2021 models already popping up???
Also, what kind of highway noise are we talking? Rattles? Drones? Wind? All of the above? I know I'm asking a lot here. I just need to drive one for myself, but I might overlook some things if I don't know beforehand.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Bru Bru get in here and drop some more truth bombs.

Off the top of my head, it has an Atkinson cycle engine so there’s no torque down low, and it has an antiquated six-speed transmission so there’s no help getting the engine up to speed. There’s no tow/haul mode, and it rides like hell compared with a GM midsizer or Ranger. Sloppy, uncontrolled. it’s just not great to drive. They did address some of the other issues for 2020, including finally a height-adjustable driver’s seat. That’s right, you couldn’t move the seat up and down before 2020. And I think they finally added Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. There might be some more things Im forgetting.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Also, what kind of highway noise are we talking? Rattles? Drones? Wind? All of the above? I know I'm asking a lot here. I just need to drive one for myself, but I might overlook some things if I don't know beforehand.
Wind noise. Also the wind throws the jeep all over the road really bad. The worse part was getting in and out of it. If I off-roaded more I would be cool with it but for everyday driving and doing my job, nah.

Reactions: v6buicks

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Off the top of my head, it has an Atkinson cycle engine so there’s no torque down low, and it has an antiquated six-speed transmission so there’s no help getting the engine up to speed. There’s no tow/haul mode, and it rides like hell compared with a GM midsizer or Ranger. Sloppy, uncontrolled. it’s just not great to drive. They did address some of the other issues for 2020, including finally a height-adjustable driver’s seat. That’s right, you couldn’t move the seat up and down before 2020. And I think they finally added Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. There might be some more things Im forgetting.
Are you talking about Toyota? What about the Ranger. Please give your opinion of 19 Ranger.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I towed my Camaro from Indy to Columbus in an '18 Taco, and it did just fine. I've always felt right at home in the seat of one as well. I'm not necessarily a fan of the loss in torque and awful exhaust note since the 4.0L that preceded, but I'm still able to do everything I need to do with the 3.5L. If I was towing regularly, then any mid-size truck probably isn't the answer regardless.

That being said, none of that makes a Tacoma a "bad truck". To me, this is like saying your dishwasher sucks because it's not comfy to nap on. K, but does it still wash the dishes without any maintenance like it was built to do? A Tacoma still runs and drives dang near forever in relative comfort without asking for much, right?

To me, a Colorado IS a "bad truck" because the 3.6L can't keep itself together over 100k without extensive repair. In today's market, THAT is completely unacceptable and like buying a calculator that can't add.

All opinions. No hard hard feelings, but my mind has not changed. I could go on a separate rant about people buying and suggesting way more truck (2500+) than 95% need, but I'll hold back. Lol

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Wind noise. Also the wind throws the jeep all over the road really bad. The worse part was getting in and out of it. If I off-roaded more I would be cool with it but for everyday driving and doing my job, nah.
Hmmm I heard about the wind noise but didn't know that the wind blew the whole truck around so much. That's kinda scary. I'm sorta used to it because of the 240, but I still hate it. That's the kind of stuff I need to know. Thanks.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
My son had an 18 Jeep 4 door. The suspension was soft enough but it was spartan getting in and out of. Extended highway noise was annoying.

I have been window shopping the Diesel ZR2 hard. I test drive one and the shocks make it the best ride I have felt in a long time. They are expensive and the daysels are rare and hard to find. I found a couple of used low miles ones, but they sell fast. Something about GM interior knobs that turn me off but I could deal with them if I found a doosel.

The ranger is nice. I only sat in one but very comfy and looks nice inside and out. Wicked deals on 2019 but for me would have to be a lariat. They had 0 for 84 on the ranger and took the deal away. There are still 2019 units on dealer lots with rusty brake rotors. I would think they need to clear them out with 2021 models already popping up???

we test drove a Colorado and I really liked it. I think overall it is a better vehicle than the Jeep.

IMO running boards are a must on a Jeep. they only give a couple inches but its hige getting into one.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005

Ridgeline

• Angry
Reactions: GLADIATOR

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I towed my Camaro from Indy to Columbus in an '18 Taco, and it did just fine. I've always felt right at home in the seat of one as well. I'm not necessarily a fan of the loss in torque and awful exhaust note since the 4.0L that preceded, but I'm still able to do everything I need to do with the 3.5L. If I was towing regularly, then any mid-size truck probably isn't the answer regardless.

That being said, none of that makes a Tacoma a "bad truck". To me, this is like saying your dishwasher sucks because it's not comfy to nap on. K, but does it still wash the dishes without any maintenance like it was built to do? A Tacoma still runs and drives dang near forever in relative comfort without asking for much, right?

To me, a Colorado is a "bad truck" because the 3.6L can't keep itself together over 100k without extensive repair. In today's market, THAT is complete unacceptable and like buying a calculator that can't add.

All opinions. No hard hard feelings, but my mind has not changed. I could go on a separate rant about people buying and suggesting way more truck (2500+) than 95% need, but I'll hold back. Lol

Tacoma is a solid choice. Looking forward to reading your new post after making the purchase.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
All I had to do was read "www.mototrend.com" to know that this article was not going to cater to my needs nor desires.

So I quote this from a Motor Trend article in a comparison test with the Tacoma

In last place is the supremely disappointing Toyota Tacoma. The Tacoma is all hat and no cattle; it looks fantastic, but whether you haul air or hay, it's let down by a cramped cabin, narrow bed, grabby brakes, and an engine and transmission that work in tandem about as well as a pack of cats and dogs.

and you poopoo it because it's MT. Bru Bru comes and pretty much substantiates their feelings on the engine and you're OK with it.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
And here is their commentary on the Ranger in case no one read the article because, well, it's MT...

In third place, in a surprise to us, is the Ford Ranger. As we saw on the farm, the Ranger is capable. Its stellar powertrain has more than enough power to tow and haul, its platform handles weight well, and its extra-wide bed proved to be incredibly useful. But on the road, the Ranger doesn't measure up to our top two finishers. Its suspension tuning is (at best) compromised toward a duty cycle this truck will rarely see in America, and its cabin is cramped and dated. "The Ranger, being the newest truck here, somehow manages to feel the oldest and least refined," Walton said.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
This things cool as fuck. I looked at it in Fargo but for 70k they can get bent!

Screenshot_20200729-214948_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200729-215004_Chrome.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
So I quote this from a Motor Trend article in a comparison test with the Tacoma

and you poopoo it because it's MT. Bru Bru comes and pretty much substantiates their feelings on the engine and you're OK with it.
Was I okay with it? :unsure: I pretty much denounced everything Bru said the same way I do with Motor Tend any time they write any of their new vehicle reviews. ?‍♂️ Motor Trend is not here to counter argue, so why argue.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

To me, a Colorado IS a "bad truck" because the 3.6L can't keep itself together over 100k without extensive repair. In today's market, THAT is completely unacceptable and like buying a calculator that can't add.

"did just fine" does not equal good. :rofl:

it's crazy, you have one of the most unbiased automotive reviewer/writers i've ever read telling you reasons why something isn't great and you're battling him. :rofl:

the 3.6 issues are long gone. it'll work great.

i dig tacoma's but would not be buying one new. the tacomacult life freaks me out.

you'd find me doing a jeep wave long before i was slapping ARB everything on a tacomer.

all that being said, none of these trucks to me personally make sense when fullsize trucks are so cheap.

no one around here is doing any sort of off-roading where the more hardcore offroad packages are necessary.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Me- *Has mind set on Gladiator and looking for other owners opinions*
TCG- Buy a Colorado
Me- *Still wants a Gladiator for the open air experience*
TCG- Tacomas are awful because they're noisy, and you should feel bad for wanting one
Me- *Hoping a Gladiator doesn't have any notable engine weaknesses*
TCG- Tacomas can't tow anything and you should feel bad for wanting one

giphy.gif

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
TCG- Buy a Colorado
TCG- Tacomas are awful because they're noisy, and you should feel bad for wanting one

giphy.gif

you got given other peoples opinions, just because you don't like those opinions, it isn't a reason to pout.

if you want to feel warm and fuzzy about buying a gladiator, go look for a fb owners group who tells you where to buy IT'S A JEEP THING stickers and teaches you the jeep wave.

not to mention, it's not like this is even your thread :rofl:

Reactions: GoldPanther

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
TCG- Buy a Colorado

giphy.gif

Actually, John and I like the Tacoma

Reactions: Yaj Yak

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
you got given other peoples opinions, just because you don't like those opinions, it isn't a reason to pout.

if you want to feel warm and fuzzy about buying a gladiator, go look for a fb owners group who tells you where to buy IT'S A JEEP THING stickers and teaches you the jeep wave.
I'm really not pouting about that, but I figured you'd say that. I'm still the only one here to point out that nobody's opinion including my own really matters about any of of this. In the end, if you're going to make a big purchase you need to form your own opinions by driving the vehicle. From there you'll find the flaws on your own, some of which won't be in any magazine because not one vehicle fits all.. Sorry to everybody who voiced their opinions on mid-size trucks for the delayed "thank you". Thank you for actually being pretty unbiased and leaving brand loyalty out of it. I am not discounting these complaints because I have no doubt that they are real. However, our complaints are not the same therefore, my opinions are different.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm really not pouting about that, but I figured you'd say that. I'm still the only one here to point out that nobody's opinion including my own really matters about any of of this. In the end, if you're going to make a big purchase you need to form your own opinions by driving the vehicle. From there you'll find the flaws on your own, some of which won't be in any magazine because not one vehicle fits all.. Sorry to everybody who voiced their opinions on mid-size trucks for the delayed "thank you". Thank you for actually being pretty unbiased and leaving brand loyalty out of it. I am not discounting these complaints because I have no doubt that they are real. However, our complaints are not the same therefore, my opinions are different.

you figured i'd say what?

you realize i said i'd get a jeep before a tacoma right? or glancing past that.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Thank youuuuu

Everyone swings from 4runners and tacomas. It's not hard to be reliable when the parts stay the same for 10+ years and there are no features

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
It's not about the opinions. It's why certain opinions are even being brought up.

I'll retract a bit. I admit. I brought the Tacoma thing up when I said it was going to be my go-to appliance truck. I tend to side-bar a lot in all of my long winded posts. My bad. I just never saw this debate coming when I am already leaning 95% in the direction of a Gladiator. That being said, if I drive one and don't like it I'm not going to go directly to the Toyota dealer and hand them my money. I'll probably have to start the research process all over because I am not in the average pick-up truck mind-set. In fact, I'd probably look at a handful of other things that aren't trucks at all.

Furthermore, I don't think it's even entirely fair for the journalists to compare the Gladiator to any of the other trucks. I get it. They're all mid-size trucks. It's not THAT far off, but I see this similarly to comparing a Wrangler to a Rav4. Are they both small 4WD SUVs? Yeah, but did a person shopping for Wranglers ever care that a Rav4 got better fuel mileage and a quieter cabin? Possibly, but highly doubtful. I've even seen Motor Trend admit such things when talking about the Gladiator. Good for them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info