Japanese Mayonnaise

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have been meaning to try this for a while. Stopped at an Asian market yesterday and picked some up. It's tangier than Hellmann's and has that umami flavor from MSG. A lot of high class chefs use it so I'll try the bottle and see if it's everything they say it is. So far, I had it on a prime rib sandwich that was, needless to say, pretty darned good.

If you guys pick this up, the Japanese mayo is the one with the full baby and Japanese writing. There is an American version with a baby's head and no MSG. Supposedly doesn't taste the same.

Big question is MSG, yes or no? New studies seem to refute the ill effects like headaches from MSG. I haven't had any issues from using it in the past and it does give good umami flavor.

KEWPIE-Original-Japanese-Mayonnaise-Made-in-Japan1.jpg

Reactions: The Broken Regal

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Okonomiyaki is the bomb. My absolutely favorite Japanese comfort food.

it’s gets described as a Japanese pancake, but even though it gets cooked on a griddle it’s nothing like the pancakes Americans would think of. And it’s definitely not a breakfast item.

I only know of one restaurant local to the suburbs that carries it as a menu item.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info