Japan successfully lands two small rovers on asteroid

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
probably costs 10 billion to mine 1 million worth of something, not so sure that's a hot use case.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I'm sure there will be companies who fly out and survey asteroids then sell the information to the mining companies. Mining companies will probably have their own surveying teams, too. California Gold Rush X a million.

Imagine earth blowing up into pieces. That's basically what you have with the asteroids. All the good deep buried stuff is out there in the asteroids. You just need to get out to it.

If humans were ever able to get their hands on just one asteroid, it would be a game-changer.

That’s because the value of many asteroids are measured in the quintillions of dollars, which makes the market for Earth’s annual production of raw metals – about $660 billion per year – look paltry in comparison.

The reality is that the Earth’s crust is saddled with uneconomic materials, while certain types of asteroids are almost pure metal. X-type asteroids, for example, are thought to be the remnants of large asteroids that were pulverized in collisions in which their dense, metallic cores got separated from the mantle.

There is one such X-type asteroid near earth that is believed to hold more platinum than ever mined in human history.
http://www.visualcapitalist.com/theres-big-money-made-asteroid-mining/

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
This is absolutely insane to even begin to start to think about

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Reaction score
How does one decide what the price is of a material thats never been found?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
I imagine electronics will change a lot when there are practically unlimited supplies of rare metals.

The usefulness of any undiscovered materials will determine their values.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
Some stuff is easy to find, and hard to refine. Titanium is an example. Its one of the most abundant materials on the planet. But its so time consuming and difficult to refine that its expensive.

I'm not sure we'll really ever get to astroid mining. The logistics of building a space station that can act as a shipping/mining hub is crazy. Its nowhere near economical to launch from the surface, so we'd need a long term habitat in orbit the could function as a shipping/mining hub. And even then it probably wouldn't have the energy needed to refine in orbit, so we'd have to bring it down to earth.

Until we find some better, more efficient way to boost materials into orbit its not really going to be feasible.

zenriddles

Molon Labe - come and take them!
Reaction score
Why not just head out to one moving this way more or less and give it a few taps in the right direction to get it do something useful like move into an orbit around the Moon where it would be easier to get at?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Did you see the quintillions numbers?
which would further make it non-scarce, right? note also when the economics of using x is high enough to justify *mining an asteroid* it also starts justifying using y material that's already here and may be a perfectly suitable substitute that was prior thought to be too expensive to use.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
Why not just head out to one moving this way more or less and give it a few taps in the right direction to get it do something useful like move into an orbit around the Moon where it would be easier to get at?
How would you slow it down to get it into a stable orbit? Most of them orbit about as fast as we do, which is damned fast compared to anything we have out there now.

Space shuttle orbits about 17,000mph around earth (thanks Space-Camp!) and earth orbits near 30,000mph around the sun (again, thanks Space-Camp, so much fun)

One of these days I need to digitize the SpaceCamp video I got from when I was there.

MrDragster1970

Reaction score

Definitely way cool what man has accomplished!!!!

Too bad the few are so so far advanced above the majority!!!!
It would amazing what we could accomplish as a species if every one worked & contributed like they do on Star trek!!!!

IIRC isn't the main things they are out searching for is helium 3 & platinum??
I don't recall them looking for diamonds or gold??
I haven't studied this as much as I would like, so may be I missed a lot???

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
The first goal is to find water, helium and other materials that can be used for fuel. That would increase the exploration exponentially. After that, rare metals like platinum would be a big target. You could get thousands/millions of tons of a metal from an asteroid. Process it in space (moon?) and ship it to earth. Space elevator, rockets, controlled crash, whatever is more efficient.

If any of you guys have watched The Expanse, I think that's an accurate vision of earth in the future. Mars is colonized and the asteroids have the "belters" which are groups of people mining the asteroids from their bases. In 100 years, that could be real.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
Somehow Madigan would find a way to tax the shit out of an asteroid

MrDragster1970

Reaction score

Any thing that crosses ILL air space would be taxed under a transportation bill.

IIRC, they now have a cable strong enough to work for an elevator??
Put a depot in orbit, and load it full of platinum or Helium 3 and let it go back & forth.
Maybe even have a removable carriage so one is being loaded as the other is making the trip??

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
which then plummets in price because so much supply and it no longer being scarce...
The question becomes can the mining technology get to a point where it's cheaper as time progresses and the material costs drop. If you're talking certain metals (think platinum) will it ever drop enough to make a difference?

Also, if the metals become more available what will that do for their demand? What new products would come along if say platinum was a quarter of the price it is now to drive demand back up?

I don't think it's as simple as "mine more stuff the price of precious metals will go to the value of iron." How much gold has been extracted in the world as of now, and has its price really gone down to nothing?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom