Amazon Jack Ryan [Amazon original]

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
I watched the first 7 episodes and it seemed good until the end of the 7th episode. I won't be watching any more.

Once they showed the hostages meeting with the president, I stopped watching. I just couldn't believe that they would knowingly allow them to meet with the president when they knew he had an ebola body and suspected he was trying to weaponize it. How would they not have tested them first?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Question though..... I have zero idea what the whole point of the dude who flies the drones was.

Like it never tied into the story? He went off on some crazed mission to find the father of some guy he killed? I was so confused where he fit into the story, with his weird drunk sex fetish stuff came into play

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
Question though..... I have zero idea what the whole point of the dude who flies the drones was.

Like it never tied into the story? He went off on some crazed mission to find the father of some guy he killed? I was so confused where he fit into the story, with his weird drunk sex fetish stuff came into play

i agree. so i googled it lol. still doesnt make a lot of sense plot wise to me.

The season features the story of a drone pilot, Victor (John Magaro), which only briefly ties into the main narrative when he defies orders and strikes against the man attacking Suleiman's wife, Hanin (Dina Shihabi). It ends with Victor traveling abroad and apologizing to the father of another man he mistakenly killed via drone strike. Otherwise, it's completely separate from the main Jack Ryan narrative. What was the motivation behind this storyline?

Cuse: When we were really analyzing the DNA of what we liked in Clancy's books, one of the things was the mosaic storytelling, where you suddenly start a chapter and you meet a brand new character and you have no idea how he's going to cross through the main narrative. And in these 800-page books that Clancy wrote, there was time to do that. The movies basically never had time to do that because they were trying to tell this narrative in a two-hour feature film. We wanted to have stories that resonated on different frequencies. It felt like not every story should be one where militaristically everybody's sort of "rah-rah." We wanted to tell a story where there was a character that was troubled by his involvement, particularly in this weird sort of remote war kind of situation, where he's living in Vegas by day and shooting and killing people by drone at night. It felt counter-punctual in a way that helped make sure that not every story in our show had the same flavor.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I watched the first 7 episodes and it seemed good until the end of the 7th episode. I won't be watching any more.

Once they showed the hostages meeting with the president, I stopped watching. I just couldn't believe that they would knowingly allow them to meet with the president when they knew he had an ebola body and suspected he was trying to weaponize it. How would they not have tested them first?

Thats a real dumb reason to stop watching a show :rofl: Have you not watched ANY military style movie where they completely suspend disbelief?

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
Thats a real dumb reason to stop watching a show :rofl: Have you not watched ANY military style movie where they completely suspend disbelief?

Movie or TV show? I'm more lenient with some shows than I am with others. Jack Ryan seemed like a show that tried to be realistic. However unlikely, the events that took place seemed possible. Do you agree?

They made me believe that shit could happen. They put my mind in the state of thinking that the show was realistic. So when that realism is suspended, it's a major blow. I kind of just sat there flipping my hands up and yelling WTF! It's different kind of feeling than when a show that doesn't make you feel it's real does something unbelievable. It felt like a big Fuck You from the lazy writers.

And to be honest, there was another moment of disbelief. When the drone attacked that guy and then he was alive and well besides a few scratches the next episode. The concussive force of the explosion on his body at such close range would not have allowed for that to happen.

So I guess since I can think of two examples (without examining it more closely), maybe I should be lenient and not consider the show that realistic. It's not like I think about how realistic I feel a show is when I'm watching it. They're just dumb feelings it experiences without me even thinking about them. Example: A girlfriend you've gone out with for a year dumps you out of the blue. You may not want to react strongly because maybe you consider yourself a logical human being. But you've formed a bond over that year, and your emotions are probably gonna flow out and cause you to react in a way that you wouldn't expect.

So very well. I shall finish the series, putting forth an effort to consider the show more of a work of fiction than I previously had. I only hope that should I be able to accomplish this, it won't affect any bonds I may have formed with the characters and make it less enjoyable.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Jack Ryan (Amazon original series)

For me, the most unrealistic thing was the drone pilot going rogue and firing a missile at a village without military authorization and the military just being like, eh, fuck it.

Also when they freed the prisoner doctors, and they said well that really injured man in the back in one of them (the bad guys)...... and then our military just shot him.....

Yea thatā€™s a war crime and murder. He wasnā€™t engaged in combat nor fighting back regardless of what he did in the past.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Glad he did his homework

Once he said yes to the role, Krasinskiā€™s preparation involved a mix of physical training and researching both the character and the real-life CIA. ā€œThe research that I did was mostly getting to know an ex-CIA officer that we had consulting with us, and then going to the actual CIA and meeting these men and women was amazing,ā€ Krasinski says. ā€œI was blown away by a lot of things with the CIA ā€” how incredibly diverse the place was and how apolitical. There was no politics being discussed, it was about objectives of protecting people and getting to the truth of the matter, which I thought was really interesting. And then the other thing was how perfectly and weirdly comfortingly normal everybody was. It wasnā€™t one-thousand Arnold Schwarzennegers out there fighting the world for us. It was really these people who, like Jack, have been in other jobs and just decided, ā€˜I want to do more for my country.ā€™ It was an unbelievable place and I feel so lucky to be representing them.ā€

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info