NEW RIDE Izzy’s “Fuck your ugly LS catfish” old school LT1 summer cruiser

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
What converter would you recommend? Brand? How much Stall?

Tempted to swap some 4.10’s in it too
Don't do it if you ever plan to try it at the track. The stock rear end can't handle it, with the 4.10 gear there's so much deflection that the pinior gear tries to climb the ring gear, resulting in teeth stripped off the ring and pinion. If it has 3.42, that was swapped in. 3.42 was a 6 speed gear. Auto had 2.73 (most) or 3.23.

I had zero issues over the years with my Yank converter. I had a SS3600 built for my car and it was perfect.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Nice ride! Always liked the earlier front ends better than the catfishes. The optispark and the tpi not so much.

Not sure what spline you'll need for the lt1 but the 80s s10 converter stalls at 2375 and did wonders for the 4l60e in my 3800 bird. Vette servo is also a must if it doesn't already have one. Gettin both was a lil over 200 bucks and trans feels strong af behind comparable hp.
Best thing is to leave the trans alone except a converter and a cooler. When it lets go, spend the money to have FLP build it properly and you'll never need another trans.

• Love
Reactions: Rdrnnr

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
This car reminds of a dewd that useta roll with the csvt crew back back in the day. His plate said stock bottom end or that was his forum name. You member him?
SBE sold his car to Larry from at the time Speed Inc. He put a ton of work into it to make it nice and built a killer setup for it. It's still around but isn't complete and hasn't been out in years. It was Mystic Teal, Izzy's is Polo Green.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
I’ve got a 3.73 and girdle coming off my car in a couple weeks...

might not be worth the hassle already having 3.42’s on it but thank you anyway

Don't do it if you ever plan to try it at the track. The stock rear end can't handle it, with the 4.10 gear there's so much deflection that the pinior gear tries to climb the ring gear, resulting in teeth stripped off the ring and pinion. If it has 3.42, that was swapped in. 3.42 was a 6 speed gear. Auto had 2.73 (most) or 3.23.

I had zero issues over the years with my Yank converter. I had a SS3600 built for my car and it was perfect.

yeah I’ll probably stick with the 3.42’s, not sure I’ll see a huge difference going to 3.73, not enough to justify the money spent.

sounds like I need a SS3600 then!

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Headliner is out of the car, kinda tempted to see if I can re-glue it.

D1F057AC-F02B-4036-B9E2-3DC64ADC2E42.jpeg

F64751C8-F495-40C9-A3B0-60F550019DE4.jpeg

Reactions: frank and Aron

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Did some work on the headliner, scraped the glue off best as I could, went to Jo-Ann to look for headliner fabric and they are out of black ? so I ordered it and I’ll have to wait a few days to pick it up, i could’ve went with tan but black looks better IMO.

Will have to pick up some 3M adhesive from Home Depot and go to town on it.

6B1DC58A-87CF-44E6-8ECB-6B2514B45F06.jpeg

E49AA9E4-3F31-4BC3-BFDA-877EC8C34644.jpeg

05A0527B-0763-460F-995F-2264DFE1E7C4.jpeg

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
might not be worth the hassle already having 3.42’s on it but thank you anyway

yeah I’ll probably stick with the 3.42’s, not sure I’ll see a huge difference going to 3.73, not enough to justify the money spent.

sounds like I need a SS3600 then!
The rear end is in the same categotry as the trans, leave it alone until it breaks (it will) then replace with a 9', 12 bolt, or Dana 60. I never had a single problem with my 9" but I wish I would have went with a true trac vs the locker I had in it.

You'll like the Yank also. They're pricey, but you're getting one built specific to your car. One of the most important pieces of a build is the converter, it can truly make or break a car's performance.

Reactions: frank and IZZy

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Did some work on the headliner, scraped the glue off best as I could, went to Jo-Ann to look for headliner fabric and they are out of black ? so I ordered it and I’ll have to wait a few days to pick it up, i could’ve went with tan but black looks better IMO.

Will have to pick up some 3M adhesive from Home Depot and go to town on it.

View attachment 90591

View attachment 90593

View attachment 90594
I believe those headliner backing pads are hard to come by in good shape and catch good money. I pulled mine out to fix the sagging cloth and never put it back in. My backing pad got chewed up by mice in my garage, the little pricks.

Reactions: IZZy

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
I believe those headliner backing pads are hard to come by in good shape and catch good money. I pulled mine out to fix the sagging cloth and never put it back in. My backing pad got chewed up by mice in my garage, the little pricks.
The material is coming apart so it might not be a good candidate for gluing new fabric on to it, I’m still trying to decide if it worth the hassle and materials or just buy a new one for $177

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Is it possible to buy a really thin sheet of foam and glue that on there first then glue the fabric to the new foam? That looks like a pain in the ass either way.
That could work, a friend also suggested a light coat of bondo or fiberglass but at that point I might be into this for too much money and time and probably be easier to buy a new one.

Reactions: SleeperLS

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Yeah guess what I meant to say is to re-upholster it, get new fabric and glue it right.

heading to Jo-Ann to look for fabric, saw a post on LS1tech about people finding headliner fabric there, we’ll see what I can find.
If no luck look at below link. I have an account with them and can order whatever you need

Edit: Disregard as I didnt real all the posts before responding. But if you do want to tackle it and need supplies or foam let me know.
I have an account with a company to get foam as well.

Reactions: frank

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
The material is coming apart so it might not be a good candidate for gluing new fabric on to it, I’m still trying to decide if it worth the hassle and materials or just buy a new one for $177
Spend the $177 and save the time and hassle. That headner definitely needs a thin piece of foam.
If you re-upholster over the existing it wont look the best
Is it possible to buy a really thin sheet of foam and glue that on there first then glue the fabric to the new foam? That looks like a pain in the ass either way.
Yes, thats exactly what needs to be done.

Thread Info