I've Got 99 Problems but a Pistol Ain't One

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
After feeling every mid to full sized 9mm I could find in the area, I limited my search to a HK VP9. I shot a handful of guns and nothing felt as comfortable as the HK did in my hand. The trigger feels crisp and the overall balance of the gun seems good as well. Quality and reliability were high on my list and I ended up enjoying the striker fired composites more than the single/dual. HK VP9 checked all my boxes. Ended up with a flat earth colored stock. They had an all black one, but I guess my taste in firearms requires a bit of color mixed in. Can't wait to shoot this puppy tomorrow. Cleaning and inspecting it tonight.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Reaction score
as i told you via text, awesome purchase for a first pistol!! to bad you couldn't have gotten into the gun scene back when you lived here, jackass.

OP
SleeperLS

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Haha. I have been known to have very poor timing. This is a good example.

OP
SleeperLS

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
The grip on the stock has 3 different size variations and they can all be used mixed and matched for the perfect grip. Huge fan of this. It is a 3 piece design so one piece for the back strap, and one piece on each flat side of the grip. Easily changed with removing the metal dowel at the base of the handle. Under a 5 min swap. Threw the larger back strap on to keep my trigger finger at the perfect length on the trigger pull.

OP
SleeperLS

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Figured I would throw a box of ammo through it tonight to try it out. Gun shoots fantastic. I can see why people enjoy these pistols so much. Made the right choice for me. First two MAGAZINES were to get used to the feel of the gun. The last 20 rounds were for me to try and do 2 groupings. Not bad for not really shooting pistols ever IMO. Only from 7.5 yards though. Need some more discipline, but it will come.

blck10th

Reaction score
Lol was just joshing you! Nice pick up. I like the fde/black slide.

OP
SleeperLS

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Haha. I am just being a smart ass like usual.

On a side note, this gun is fun to breakdown and clean. I am sure it is identical to all other composite striker fire guns, but still enjoyable. Also, got some sig sauer hollow points for home defense...those things are a piece of art.

I am trying to figure out a holster I would like for open carry. I am liking this design and style a lot. Seems very versatile and has some nice features. I want a holster with a latching mechanism so the gun is secure when I am hiking over rough terrain. Thoughts on safariland stuff?

Safariland® Model 7378 7TS

Jdiding

I has the dumb
Reaction score
when I started shooting 45 I started with a cheep used baretta and had decent groups
I bought a used usp 45 tactical and my groups tightened up considerably, a good feeling and fitting gun for you will make you shoot better

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The VP9 should make most shooters pretty damn accurate. It's got one of the best factory triggers out there.

Congrats on the purchase! I'm sure you'll like it!

OP
SleeperLS

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
BTW, you're anticipating in that bottom group. :D
Thanks for the tip! I was hoping someone would chime in on that. I need to get to the range again and get some more practice in. That Hickok45 guy talked about putting some dummy rounds mixed in the mag for some practice on anticipation and jumping. I definitely have that problem. I have only thrown 50 rounds through it and am new to hand guns, so I definitely have some work to do. I have been dry firing the gun a little bit and working on keeping my hand steady, so I feel like I will do better next time at the range.

Also ordered a safariland OWB holster to keep it safe/protected while hiking. Should be here in a couple of weeks.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're on the right track with the dry firing. You can practice your trigger pull and grip doing dry fire drills. Unload the pistol and DOUBLE CHECK that its unloaded. Then you can choose something small and safe to fire at and just dry fire away. Practice until your gun does NOT move while you pull the trigger. Your sights shouldn't move off your target at all.

As for the safariland, is it a full kydex holster? Just make sure that trigger is completely protected.

OP
SleeperLS

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
You're on the right track with the dry firing. You can practice your trigger pull and grip doing dry fire drills. Unload the pistol and DOUBLE CHECK that its unloaded. Then you can choose something small and safe to fire at and just dry fire away. Practice until your gun does NOT move while you pull the trigger. Your sights shouldn't move off your target at all.

As for the safariland, is it a full kydex holster? Just make sure that trigger is completely protected.
I am so OCD about safety checking the gun. Though, not a bad habit to get into at all. I need to work on keeping the sights steady like you mentioned. Better now than when I first started, but I still need more practice.

The holster is made out of some crazy DuPont material called safari seven. I guess it doesn't have any fillers or anything that will scratch the finish of the gun up at all. It has a latching mechanism that is thumb activated so I won't have to worry about using my trigger finger to activate any button prior to drawing. It really seems like a trick set up. When it finally comes in I will throw up some pictures and a review. The main requirements for the holster I had in mind were a latching mechanism and complete guard of the trigger. This should cover me on that.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's a good thing! Keep the four rules in the front of your thought process as well as your actions and you'll be good to go.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! I was hoping someone would chime in on that. I need to get to the range again and get some more practice in. That Hickok45 guy talked about putting some dummy rounds mixed in the mag for some practice on anticipation and jumping. I definitely have that problem. I have only thrown 50 rounds through it and am new to hand guns, so I definitely have some work to do. I have been dry firing the gun a little bit and working on keeping my hand steady, so I feel like I will do better next time at the range.

Also ordered a safariland OWB holster to keep it safe/protected while hiking. Should be here in a couple of weeks.
It took me a few hundred rounds to get rid of most of my anticipation. It will get better with time and dummy rounds will help make it more apparent so you can see if you still have the habit.

blck10th

Reaction score

Balance a penny on the front sight. Don't let it fall off.

DEEZUZ

Escrow shortage crew
Donating Member
Reaction score
i cant get over the dimensions of these guns. looks like a boomerang

OP
SleeperLS

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Why a latching mechanism?
I wanted one so that when I went hiking in rough terrain I wouldn't have to worry about the firearm falling out or becoming loose in the holster.

i cant get over the dimensions of these guns. looks like a boomerang
I feel like if I got a good throw off I could easily knock someone out with this thing. Although, the guy behind the counter at Calibers had a vp9 as his CCW and it concealed quite well.

N20GT

Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
Reaction score
Have you tried any quick mag changes? I love the way these feel and shoot but I'll never buy one just because of the mag release

I'd suggest practicing a lot, and not just slowly emptying a mag at a boring indoor range

OP
SleeperLS

SleeperLS

Desert Racer
Donating Member
Reaction score
Have you tried any quick mag changes? I love the way these feel and shoot but I'll never buy one just because of the mag release

I'd suggest practicing a lot, and not just slowly emptying a mag at a boring indoor range
Definitely need a good bit of practice in all forms. The BLM land range down the road will allow me to go nuts with unloading mags quickly. I just don't have good pistol targets to take out there for precision shooting yet.

The mag release is different than other pistols, but I like it after I have practiced some. It is different, so it takes some getting used to. But with minimal practice, the mag release is quite easy to use. It is easy to use my thumb or middle finger to active that lever.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom