IUOE Local 150 Apprenticeship

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
That's still pretty much the case. I almost signed on last year when shit was getting bad with COVID and I wasn't sure what would happen with my business. I just don't think I'm that good of a mechanic and always doubt myself.

Then my 150 buddies call me and ask if I've ever dealt with an issue they can't resolve and it makes me think I could actually do it for 30 seconds.

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
My first question is are you in a career you will retire from or working a job?

if it’s your chosen career I would ask (I know nothing of 701) which has best benefits and retirements. I believe benefits/retirements are more important when you get 20+ years in a career than a few dollars a hour. Health care is foremost when you have a family and also in retirement. Pension size and security is primary for those who’d like to retire one day. I’ve known plenty who retired happily at 150 the pension is in the green.

Which union is larger and more active at protecting its jurisdiction which leads to more job stability? Which union has active organizers that bring in more non union (job creation). I worked with the organizers awhile back and they were tough and worked long hours.

Which union will find you work sooner if you get laid off or want to try greener pastures?

Which union has a larger training budget and facility so you can remain abreast of new technology and trends (and if you want learn heavy equipment operation)?

Why are coworkers recommending you switch? Are their points/concerns valid?

Lastly you stated more money per hour but a fairer comparison is what’s the avg annual pay including overtime and possible layoffs? Most guys I know that get laid off still made more in those 9-10 months (with overtime) than non 150 PLUS they get unemployment and that holiday check the employer contributes to during the year. So it’s like a vacation.

I know very little of mechanic side but I NEVER heard one complain (unlike equipment operators) lol

What’s up everyone, I realize this is kind of an old thread now but oh well. I’m a local 701 heavy equipment mechanic at a dealership right now. 1.5 years into my apprenticeship. All my coworkers told me I should try to get into Local 150 as they have the best benefits and pay for mechanics in the area. Anyways I picked up my application and am almost ready to turn it in. (To answer a question I read, operator applications must be turned in by November 30. I was told mechanic applications have no due date when I picked mine up.) I was the only guy there I saw get a mechanic application, everyone was doing operator or driller. Seems a little scary to leave behind the reliability of a job at a dealership for the unknown of a real union job in the 150, but the 701 benefits are poor and scale is a couple dollars lower. I’m hoping I can get hired on somewhere that will give me a year or so on the apprenticeship so I don’t have to start over at the bottom. Seems like most mechanics don’t get laid off over winter?? I really don’t want to be I would go nuts not having something to do or a check. Sorry for the ramble. Any advice or knowledge about 150 is appreciated

Reactions: DEEZUZ
Oct 27, 2021
I'd agree with your coworkers. I have two friends that jumped from 701 to 150 and don't regret it at all. Friends at Altofer, Alta, West Side, etc as far as dealers go.
Did your friends who changed from 701 to 150 just go from shop to field with their dealership or did they join the 150 and get a job through the hall like I’m trying to do? Most of the dealerships are 701 in the shop except for some of Alta’s locations and Roland as far as I know. The only way I would get into 150 with my current company is when I would eventually get in a service truck but that is a good 5-10 years or more from now. We have all young or middle aged field guys and a few guys with seniority over me who would get into a truck first. I’m not concerned with shop vs field work right now. Long term id like to be in a truck though. I just don’t want to waste my entire 20’s (I’m 22 btw) in the 701. The reason I consider this time a waste is because I could work my whole career and when it was time to retire the pension wouldn’t even cover the bills and that’s if the union had the money to pay me. The insurance is bad as soon as you add members beside yourself. A coworker pays over 300 a month for him, wife, and 2 kids. Where as 150 would cover all of that. It’s kind of a no brainer to at least apply considering both pay and benefits are better but change is just always a little scary. Lay offs also scare me as hours could possibly get cut down a little at my dealership if we got really slow but it would have to be really bad to lay people off I think. Maybe lay offs for mechanics in 150 aren’t as common as I make myself think.

Oct 27, 2021
My first question is are you in a career you will retire from or working a job?

if it’s your chosen career I would ask (I know nothing of 701) which has best benefits and retirements. I believe benefits/retirements are more important when you get 20+ years in a career than a few dollars a hour. Health care is foremost when you have a family and also in retirement. Pension size and security is primary for those who’d like to retire one day. I’ve known plenty who retired happily at 150 the pension is in the green.

Which union is larger and more active at protecting its jurisdiction which leads to more job stability? Which union has active organizers that bring in more non union (job creation). I worked with the organizers awhile back and they were tough and worked long hours.

Which union will find you work sooner if you get laid off or want to try greener pastures?

Which union has a larger training budget and facility so you can remain abreast of new technology and trends (and if you want learn heavy equipment operation)?

Why are coworkers recommending you switch? Are their points/concerns valid?

Lastly you stated more money per hour but a fairer comparison is what’s the avg annual pay including overtime and possible layoffs? Most guys I know that get laid off still made more in those 9-10 months (with overtime) than non 150 PLUS they get unemployment and that holiday check the employer contributes to during the year. So it’s like a vacation.

I know very little of mechanic side but I NEVER heard one complain (unlike equipment operators) lol
The only aspect that’s better of my 701 job vs being a 150 contractor mechanic would be the possibility of getting laid off. But like you said I could make more in 9 months anyways. The 701 just isn’t a good union for equipment guys (maybe they take care of automotive guys better?) my coworkers all recommend it to me because I think it’s what they all wish they would have done when they were my age now that they’re older and have families it’s even harder than it already is to make the change.

Oct 27, 2021
Yes 701 is terrible for HE. I have passed on many many 701 diesel jobs...

And 150 jobs too... :hs:
Yeah I’ve only lived in Illinois for less than 2 years and when I moved here I didn’t know a thing about the job field here or even how a union worked, I just assumed a dealership would be the easiest and safest place to start. And I was right, but now that I’ve got a better idea of where the money and benefits are at is why I’m trying to leave the dealership already. Curious why you would pass up 150 opportunities? (I’m sure you have good reason, just like to hear other people’s experiences ??)

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Yeah I’ve only lived in Illinois for less than 2 years and when I moved here I didn’t know a thing about the job field here or even how a union worked, I just assumed a dealership would be the easiest and safest place to start. And I was right, but now that I’ve got a better idea of where the money and benefits are at is why I’m trying to leave the dealership already. Curious why you would pass up 150 opportunities? (I’m sure you have good reason, just like to hear other people’s experiences ??)

I have about 20 reasons.

I'm lazy.
I love my 28 minute 26 mile commute down 2 roads.
I like to drive the fuck out of my Camaro in nicer weather, could never commute in a service truck and would never get to enjoy the car.
I'm 98% versed in light duty/medium trucks
I can work 8-430 and OT when needed.

I've been at same place for 13 years(32 years old) and basically run myself and don't have to listen to anyone.

Scared of change(aka success)

Never been laid off. Ever.

I've worked 6 Saturdays the last 12 years

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI

No you Def did it right. Get the dealer experience, milk them for whatever you can training wise. Very smart. They can't take training from you

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I have about 20 reasons.

I'm lazy.
I love my 28 minute 26 mile commute down 2 roads.
I like to drive the fuck out of my Camaro in nicer weather, could never commute in a service truck and would never get to enjoy the car.
I'm 98% versed in light duty/medium trucks
I can work 8-430 and OT when needed.

I've been at same place for 13 years(32 years old) and basically run myself and don't have to listen to anyone.

Scared of change(aka success)

Never been laid off. Ever.

I've worked 6 Saturdays the last 12 years
I think you're shortchanging yourself when you say 98%, I'd say it's higher than that. You're the damn diesel whisperer.

• Haha
Reactions: rowekmr and DEEZUZ

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
What's funny too is people think that you plug in the laptop and it tells you what to fix and how to fix it... That couldn't be more wrong.
Oh shit no, not with mechanicals like that. In some cases it might point you in the general direction, but you can't rely upon that.

Though the last few repairs I've had to do to gas cars the OBDII reader was almost dead on. With the g/f's previous car it wasn't running so hot. Codes showed issues with the #2 and #3 cylinders, something about misfires if I recall.

Sure enough, the plugs were almost all the way out, maybe 3-4 half-turns on the threads. I never would have suspected that. For $50 it got new plugs and coil packs, ran like new, then sold it two weeks later LOL

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I just left general membership meeting and they stressed that business is at new heights and subsequently the rental companies are expanding and there is a stoppage of new equipment ordered and shortage of mechanics. They said the big rental companies are buying the smaller ones just for their equipment since they can't get new stuff. They talked about the shortage of mechanics and asked for referrals for guys on outside/non union who are currently mechanics for direct entry into 150. If you interested shoot me a message with your information and experience and I will pass it on the the guy that asked.

There's also shortage of soil testers and drillers which I know little about.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info