IUOE Local 150 Apprenticeship

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Yeah not looking to start over. Couldn’t handle a pay cut back to apprentice. Started my life as a 597 guy, then 399, trying to get another 597 job at the moment.
Are you currently in 399? What kind of work did you do in 597? Service? If so, my company is I think the largest service HVAC contractor in the area and we have taken guys from different trades and got them into 597, but you were already 597. What did you do with your card?

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Yup. Sometimes your lifting/lowering and you ant even see your target... Like down in a hole or over atop another building.

Crazy..

IMG_6505.JPG

Yeah it takes skills for a man basket full of workers in a underground shaft.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Are you currently in 399? What kind of work did you do in 597? Service? If so, my company is I think the largest service HVAC contractor in the area and we have taken guys from different trades and got them into 597, but you were already 597. What did you do with your card?
Not currently in 399. I was doing refrigeration and mechanical work mainly when I was in 597. Working on getting a job with Trane right now,

stock-t-bird

THORNTON QUARRY
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2008
Thornton Quarry
just curious..who is the biggest 597 Company in Chicagoland these days
Hill Mechanical/Precision Control/Johnson Controls/AMS & Dual-Temp...some do Amonia refrigeration piping

lots of 597 @ BP in Whiting...hide & seek for a grand a week..its crazy 7 days/12hour shift will break the body

just curious who is the big boys/companies these days

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Your buddy must be pulling in BIG dollars!!! IRCC New York pays really high and Florida is one of the lowest.

The majority of my friends are 150 operators or mechanics. My buddy that owns the property with the barn where I work on my shit is the highest paid rental mechanic in the country.

With how shitty it’s been doing what I do the past year I’ve considered it. I did all the testing and shit when I was younger when it was hard to get in. Got waitlisted and had just landed a job when I got the call. Should’ve taken it.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
just curious..who is the biggest 597 Company in Chicagoland these days
Hill Mechanical/Precision Control/Johnson Controls/AMS & Dual-Temp...some do Amonia refrigeration piping

lots of 597 @ BP in Whiting...hide & seek for a grand a week..its crazy 7 days/12hour shift will break the body

just curious who is the big boys/companies these days
We use bmw for pipe fitters where I work, Exxon does as well assuming numbers wise probably not that high up but skill wise bmw is ware it’s at for pipe fitters, I know lyondell and aux sable use them as well

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
The application period is this month. Link below with detailed info. Call the apprenticeship center if you have questions.

Everyone I know that has gotten into 150 over the years has needed a phone call in order to do so - it was always known for being the hardest to get into (aside from maybe the elevator union). Has that changed?

edit: Meaning operators. Not sure if it's different for mechanics/etc

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Funny you say that because the Elevator union was also taking apps for their apprenticeship program and I was going to include their info but they stopped right before I posted this thread.

I would say that many do indeed get in via the phone call (like many higher paying jobs) but not all. It might take luck, several apps or some political work, etc but whatever it takes I think it is worth a attempt. I got in back when nepotism (father to son) was a big entryway and I didn't know ANYONE.

There's supposed to be a lot of infrastructure work coming and when there is a need for more operators/mechanics/testers/drillers the opportunities increase. You'd be surprised how many others don't apply thinking they can't get in/have a chance.
Everyone I know that has gotten into 150 over the years has needed a phone call in order to do so - it was always known for being the hardest to get into (aside from maybe the elevator union). Has that changed?

edit: Meaning operators. Not sure if it's different for mechanics/etc

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Elevators would be a sweet gig. I forget the stats, but I heard they literally only take a handful of people every year, just because they're relatively small compared to all the other unions.

I'm in a totally different line of work now (cyber security), but 150 or 134 would have been my first choices if I ever went the trades route.

Reactions: radioguy6

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
From what I hear your line of work is the hottest job now. I hear of people in established careers jumping over to that field.

Elevators would be a sweet gig. I forget the stats, but I heard they literally only take a handful of people every year, just because they're relatively small compared to all the other unions.

I'm in a totally different line of work now (cyber security), but 150 or 134 would have been my first choices if I ever went the trades route.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
A bit late to the conversation, but I used to be Local 150 (laborer). I used to work for a draintile/foundation company. 2 separate companies, owned by the same people. They put me in....well that was a lie. They took dues out of my check as if I was put in, but never reported me to the union. The local BA would come every once in a while and talk with the guys but never once questioned who I was or asked me anything. I always left work as soon as my shift was done.

Union only found out the company was screwing them (and me) over when we were locked out of work. Company wanted us to call a number to exit out of the union and they'd hire us back since they couldn't afford to keep us working and they blamed the union that they didn't want to negotiate a new contract. We ended up litigating them (the company) and I was the star witness. I was the only witness they needed to win (despite having 7 other guys ready to testify). The company owed us collectively about $100k in lost wages, but we settled for only $25k and then the company went bankrupt afterwards and opened up a new company under a slightly different name. The supervisors were all shitty ass people but I did learn a bit. One supervisor just had a power trip. Didn't use the shovel his way and you stayed home for a day or two because of "lack of work". Lol. It was a joke of a company.

Fast forward, and I ended up working for a tree service company because of that lockout and that company needed 2 crews for a contract with the water reclamation district of Cook County. So we went ALL around Cook County and went into bodies of water (creeks, streams, rivers, ect) to pull out dams and blockages, or cut some trees and brush down along the embankment. Easiest job I had. 40 hours a week, $50/hour. Worked with the contract for 2.5 years before another company won the new contract by 3% (80k difference).

After that, I just paid my union dues for the next couple years before giving up on it and then started working with my father-in-law in concrete. He then put me into local 152 which was a garbage union. Never did anything for me and screwed my father in law over years later.

Reactions: rowekmr

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Were you paid union scale wages while working for that company?

I got organized in working for a non union company and we all signed signatory cards (some were reluctant) except owner's daughter's husband and company threatened to close if we do. They tried to put in a sham union first to prevent us from going 150 with sham benefits, then they laid us all off, we picketed for weeks, went to NLRB court for unfair practices and ultimately got a settlement and our cards and that company as promised closed that division so we all went on the out of work list. Later the company owners let their son in law go 150 and work the division we were in. The last municipal union job I had before (Teamsters 726) that suddenly laid us off permanently so I went from one end to the other.

A bit late to the conversation, but I used to be Local 150 (laborer). I used to work for a draintile/foundation company. 2 separate companies, owned by the same people. They put me in....well that was a lie. They took dues out of my check as if I was put in, but never reported me to the union. The local BA would come every once in a while and talk with the guys but never once questioned who I was or asked me anything. I always left work as soon as my shift was done.

Union only found out the company was screwing them (and me) over when we were locked out of work. Company wanted us to call a number to exit out of the union and they'd hire us back since they couldn't afford to keep us working and they blamed the union that they didn't want to negotiate a new contract. We ended up litigating them (the company) and I was the star witness. I was the only witness they needed to win (despite having 7 other guys ready to testify). The company owed us collectively about $100k in lost wages, but we settled for only $25k and then the company went bankrupt afterwards and opened up a new company under a slightly different name. The supervisors were all shitty ass people but I did learn a bit. One supervisor just had a power trip. Didn't use the shovel his way and you stayed home for a day or two because of "lack of work". Lol. It was a joke of a company.

Fast forward, and I ended up working for a tree service company because of that lockout and that company needed 2 crews for a contract with the water reclamation district of Cook County. So we went ALL around Cook County and went into bodies of water (creeks, streams, rivers, ect) to pull out dams and blockages, or cut some trees and brush down along the embankment. Easiest job I had. 40 hours a week, $50/hour. Worked with the contract for 2.5 years before another company won the new contract by 3% (80k difference).

After that, I just paid my union dues for the next couple years before giving up on it and then started working with my father-in-law in concrete. He then put me into local 152 which was a garbage union. Never did anything for me and screwed my father in law over years later.

Oct 27, 2021
What’s up everyone, I realize this is kind of an old thread now but oh well. I’m a local 701 heavy equipment mechanic at a dealership right now. 1.5 years into my apprenticeship. All my coworkers told me I should try to get into Local 150 as they have the best benefits and pay for mechanics in the area. Anyways I picked up my application and am almost ready to turn it in. (To answer a question I read, operator applications must be turned in by November 30. I was told mechanic applications have no due date when I picked mine up.) I was the only guy there I saw get a mechanic application, everyone was doing operator or driller. Seems a little scary to leave behind the reliability of a job at a dealership for the unknown of a real union job in the 150, but the 701 benefits are poor and scale is a couple dollars lower. I’m hoping I can get hired on somewhere that will give me a year or so on the apprenticeship so I don’t have to start over at the bottom. Seems like most mechanics don’t get laid off over winter?? I really don’t want to be I would go nuts not having something to do or a check. Sorry for the ramble. Any advice or knowledge about 150 is appreciated

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info