Its too cold WTF?

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Working on County Line road between Grand and North Ave today (which will be my home away from home for most of the winter) and the wind/cold actually caught me off guard a few times and got me that wonderful stoppage of breath a few times today.
And it really isn’t even cold out yet. I’m not looking forward to this winter.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
And then there are 3 months out of the year there its too hot to be outside so we hear you bitch on how you have to be inside. Blah blah blah
Funny story. The summer here is not hotter than it is up there. Way more rain, but you can basically set your watch to it. Then at night its perfect. I have to say this has been the best thing we ever did moving here. We were trick or treating in 85* weather, in our actual costumes. Not sure if we have ever been able to do this. And all of our kids bdays are in the winter. This time around and going forward, they can have all their parties outside. The move was 100% worth it. And I've never made more money too. No state income taxes, and the tech jobs are all over out here. The wife and I say all the time when we are out, we cant believe we live here now. Every day when Im not working its shorts and flip flops. The kids have not warn long pants since we moved here in March. Its just so pleasant all the time. But the Traffic, holy shit.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Why? It's so much better to have sun and warmth year 'round. You guys are putting your cars and bikes away. No need down here. If I want to see snow, I'll come up there for a week. A week of snow is long enough.

Trust me, seeing everyone out in their rides while I was down there made me cry. Vette's, Camaro's, Hellcats, Challengers, ford things, etc...

Again, a few days ago, I was in shorts, sweating, and then enjoying a dip in the pool. I'm done with 4 seasons. I want one season... Warmth.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
giphy.gif

Reactions: DEEZUZ

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
This weather does suck, I am really hoping we are just experiencing a cold front and that a warm front will soon move in to get us back to the 40-50’s for a little.

The climate patterns have changed here it seems. I feel like our springs are almost non-existent and fall is extremely short. It’s weird.

Anyway I’m taking solace in the fact that I’m heading to Belize tomorrow.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
The weather in this area straight up fucking blows.....but i'm heavily rooted here with careers, family and friends so I won't be moving. My career I could easily move elsewhere...the wife's notsomuch. She's got a great gig up here.

Mad jelly of you guys experiencing sunny FL weather all year long.

Same. I moved back (after spending 5 years in AZ and 2 in TX) just this year because the future wife has a great gig here and she can't exactly do it elsewhere. I travel for work so I'm not stuck in it all the time. I'm unfortunately working out of Ohio during the week right now, so it's not any better.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
The weather in this area straight up fucking blows.....but i'm heavily rooted here with careers, family and friends so I won't be moving. My career I could easily move elsewhere...the wife's notsomuch. She's got a great gig up here.

Mad jelly of you guys experiencing sunny FL weather all year long.
It wasnt easy. I had to walk away from a career job as well. I also lost my pension (cashed out) because I wasnt full vested. But it literally has been the best thing we've ever done. If you have the means, rip off the bandaid. It was so worth it. My kids are happier, the wife is happier and this area lets me enjoy my hobbies all year round. Where I live is basically like northern IL but with all year sun and warm. Not really southern feeling. Almost everyone in our neighborhood is a transplant from somewhere cold. The jobs are everywhere. And you will make more while spending less. Gas has been $2.30 for 87 since we got here. And the property taxes are so much lower than anything in IL. This was 10/10 something we would do over again. And Chicago is a plane ride away.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The only good months we had this year were july-sept, and even then by the end of september the daylight hours were fading fast. It snowed through april, rained until late June, then finally cleared up. for ~11 weeks of good weather.

The sun has a lot of health benefits, only a hermit would say they'd prefer to spend 9 months a year in dark/cold/rain

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
My parents have a place in south ft Myers FL. I only go there in the summer when it’s empty. The wife and I chill on the beach and spend time on Sanibel Island. Usually we are the only people everywhere we go. During the winter it sucks ass there. Can’t find parking anywhere. Traffic 24/7. People all over the place and prices jacked way up on everything. I honestly would probably go north for the winters if I lived there. LOL!

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
So what you’re saying is... you only had 11 weeks to use a machine you paid for.

Sounds like a terrible investment and you should just get into snowmobiling.
I did 6 track days and rode it on the street about 5 times, not bad. Put more miles on mine than you did on the bobber, and probably used it more than you will use your snowmobile! :)

Time to start traveling south for track days...i foresee more time at NCM in my future

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
It wasnt easy. I had to walk away from a career job as well. I also lost my pension (cashed out) because I wasnt full vested. But it literally has been the best thing we've ever done. If you have the means, rip off the bandaid. It was so worth it. My kids are happier, the wife is happier and this area lets me enjoy my hobbies all year round. Where I live is basically like northern IL but with all year sun and warm. Not really southern feeling. Almost everyone in our neighborhood is a transplant from somewhere cold. The jobs are everywhere. And you will make more while spending less. Gas has been $2.30 for 87 since we got here. And the property taxes are so much lower than anything in IL. This was 10/10 something we would do over again. And Chicago is a plane ride away.

Funny you should mention some those things.

Where my Sister and current B-I-L live (where I just moved them too, Clermont), so many people we ran in to in the neighborhood are all transplants. The guy across the street from them... from the south suburbs of Chicago (he came over and started talking when he saw my Bears hat and Chicago Harley t-shirt). My sisters Ex also moved down there (long story why they all moved), and he's a little closer to Disney. As such, the majority of the homes in his little subdivision are all time shares. He ended up buying cheap because of that.

Things I noticed. All houses have stucco facades, no one (or at least as I inquired), has basements, Gecko's all over (fast little fuckers too... And none are trying to sell insurance), wide open roads, very little traffic, the chicks are all cute and wearing very little. My Nephew plays football (yea, he's the next Al Bundy), anyway, it was November, and were were in the stands in shorts and t-shirts watching...

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Funny you should mention some those things.

Where my Sister and current B-I-L live (where I just moved them too, Clermont), so many people we ran in to in the neighborhood are all transplants. The guy across the street from them... from the south suburbs of Chicago (he came over and started talking when he saw my Bears hat and Chicago Harley t-shirt). My sisters Ex also moved down there (long story why they all moved), and he's a little closer to Disney. As such, the majority of the homes in his little subdivision are all time shares. He ended up buying cheap because of that.

Things I noticed. All houses have stucco facades, no one (or at least as I inquired), has basements, Gecko's all over (fast little fuckers too... And none are trying to sell insurance), wide open roads, very little traffic, the chicks are all cute and wearing very little. My Nephew plays football (yea, he's the next Al Bundy), anyway, it was November, and were were in the stands in shorts and t-shirts watching...
Yep. The stucco thing is weird. Every single house has it. And ever single inside wall and ceiling is textured. Also you will not find a basement just about anywhere because you will hit water a few feet down. Not to mention the base is sand. And the grass is all basically astro turf. Its that very coarse what feels like crab grass. No more soft grass, because one it wont grow in sand and two it cant stand up to the year round harshness of the sun. Aside from the grass, this is a paradise. We were at a peewee football game sweating a few saturdays ago, then the next sunday on the beach at Indian Rocks. We have a cheer competition at Disney next weekend and then we are going to Ft Myers Beach for Christmas. Its crazy that we are closer to cuba than chicago now... So weird to be here.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

CMNTMXR57

Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I did notice the grass too. It did all look like crabgrass and I was going to give my B-I-L some pointers on getting rid of it to have a nice, perfect, weed-free lawn like I have here. But yea, I guess the base being sand won't do shit. :D And yes, the interior walls are all textured. The ones in this particular house are all rounded at the edges too.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
I did notice the grass too. It did all look like crabgrass and I was going to give my B-I-L some pointers on getting rid of it to have a nice, perfect, weed-free lawn like I have here. But yea, I guess the base being sand won't do shit. :D And yes, the interior walls are all textured. The ones in this particular house are all rounded at the edges too.

Yep ours as well as our new house has the rounded corners on all the walls. We are also looking at getting a whole house generator. We dont live in a flood or evac zone for hurricanes. All we need to worry about is power outages. And with the Generac whole home natural gas generator, that will not be a worry at all. 22kw will power the AC and all the appliances as long as the natural gas flows. If we lived closer to the coast, power outage would be the least of our problems. Im glad we dont. 50 minute drive to the beach is better than flooding and devastation any day of the week.

The best part is looking back and seeing how much we spent over the last 10 years to get here and do the things we do now every weekend for virtually nothing. We basically pack a cooler on wheels and have a fantastic free spot to park at Indian Rocks beach which is south of Clear water. Just as nice but its not a tourist spot. And its simply gorgeous.

• Love
Reactions: CMNTMXR57
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info