Site Sponsor It's pronounced Kor-uhh-veh-tay. 2006 Bigbootyjudy C6 6L80 Tech Thread!

Carl@Redline

El Experto De Transmiciones
TCG Sponsor
Oct 21, 2019
Batavia
Real Name
Carl
After much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth (not really, more just me being slammed), we have Huggerorange73 Huggerorange73 beautiful Vette here. I'll post as we go along, and as time allows...but here we go!

Obvi, cars this low take a few minutes to rack, but thanks to the new Mac Tools/OTC hydraulic Go-Jacks, and a few trees that gave their life for the cause, we got it racked and secured. Winnie Pooper, my German pup, gives her nod of approval.

20221230_080936.jpg

Carl@Redline

TCG Sponsor
Oct 21, 2019
Batavia
Real Name
Carl
Disassembly: One of the more common and critical wear/damage areas. In a flash of ABSOLUTE genius, and clearly gaining zero knowledge/lessons from...oh...about 30 years of 700R-4 and 4L60E experience regarding vane/rotor style pumps, GM did nobody but aluminum suppliers and machine shops a favor by keeping not only the same design, and regulating pressure in similar fashion...but making the pump body integral with the torque converter housing. Naturally, this makes replacement of said components 5 times more expensiver. Also, as seen in the picture, they wear horrendously and 90% require machining or replacement since the GM spec for rotor to cover clearance is .0025. I typically shoot for no more than .0015. Being a Corvette, this one will be cut and machined. The pump cover will be replaced since this is the early style, and 09 up units provide way better sealing to the drum.

20221230_122652.jpg

20221230_122657.jpg

20221230_122737.jpg

Huggerorange73

Big government pro Russian dude AKA Comrade Mike
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
Typical gunk on the magnet, and definitely deteriorated fluid.

Fun part coming shortly: All but one pack was burnt, so I'll post that soon.

View attachment 145482

View attachment 145483

View attachment 145484

View attachment 145485

View attachment 145486
Fluid definitely got cooked the first time the car threw a P0776 code (July 10th) and went into limp mode. Had to nurse it back home and trans temps were WELL above 200 degrees.

Light flaring on the 3-4 shift started the year before....and progressively got worse and worse till the point it shit the bed as indicated above.

I nursed it the rest of the year and had to carry a scanner to clear the code until eventually I was down to manually shifting up to third gear.

Definitely be interesting to see how much is toast in it now.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Fluid definitely got cooked the first time the car threw a P0776 code (July 10th) and went into limp mode. Had to nurse it back home and trans temps were WELL above 200 degrees.

Light flaring on the 3-4 shift started the year before....and progressively got worse and worse till the point it shit the bed as indicated above.

I nursed it the rest of the year and had to carry a scanner to clear the code until eventually I was down to manually shifting up to third gear.

Definitely be interesting to see how much is toast in it now.
I would have probably done what you did and stuck hytran in as well to limp it further along.

Carl@Redline

TCG Sponsor
Oct 21, 2019
Batavia
Real Name
Carl
*Cracks knuckles and clears throat*

First off, appreciate the comments about this here thread. Sometimes I'm long winded, and sometimes that's okay. However, I'll try and do more tech threads on other things...but as the lone builder 80% of the time in a busy shop, computer time is limited. Plus, I'm a total luddite, and type like old people fornicate.

On to the BBQ:

As you can see, 4-5-6, smallest set in lower left corner, are Epstein'd. Extremely typical, as the factory DOESN'T HAVE A RECOMMENDED CLEARANCE SPEC. So, lets take the smallest clutches in the trans, toss em in, don't reach for the feelers or dial indicator, and hit send. Thankfully, Captain Aftermarket has arrived on his white stallion and saved us from eternal doom with the Sonnax extra capacity kit. Special apply piston, plate and billet back plate allows for seven (7) clutches in place of the OE six (6), and usually comes out to a nice tight .035"...and we gentlemen prefer it tight. Also, this lil lady will be getting similar treatment in 3-5-R, with a shorter apply ring, allowing for an extra plate. The input drum, which houses 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R, has three (3) superseded part numbers, so we're going with a new loaded one from GM. Failure of either apply piston, or the braze on the drum are both common, so we ain't finna hafta worry bout dat no mo.

Resized_20221230_134849.jpeg

Resized_20221230_134907.jpeg

Resized_20221230_134854.jpeg

Carl@Redline

TCG Sponsor
Oct 21, 2019
Batavia
Real Name
Carl
Along with extra plates and billet back plates in 4-5-6 and 3-5-R, its getting new clutches and steels in each other pack. Every one showed excessive heat except for 1-2-3-4, but that's probably due to the fact that it was in a "plastic fantastic," and not a Suburban pulling a camper.

Pressure/valvebody mods include:
Later style pump stator with the updated sealing rings.
TransGo shift kit, which replaces the aluminum PR valve (boo, hiss) with a billet steel one (yay, win) as well as a TCC control valve.
TransGo CSV kit, which changes the clutch select and compensator valves with steel.
Sonnax center support sleeves will halp keep that sum'bitch from rocking side to side in the case.
Annnnnd a shiny new Delco TEHCM because thanksGMformakinghtesolenoidsandcomputeronepiecethatcantbecleaned.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info